Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloud Backup Costs

• 08-01-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Our IT provider has recommended moving from onsite tape backup to cloud backup. We have a fast internet connection so there's no problem there. They have quoted €6.85 per GB per year to backup 370GB. Is that about right or over the top? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What is it about your existing backup solution that makes you want to replace it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

Very Cheap Who are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dogstar_ie

Our tape backup system is nearing end of life so it's either replace it or move all backups to the cloud. We would have 90 access to data as opposed to 10 days currently on tape and we wouldn't have to worry about someone forgetting to put in / remove the tape everyday. Not sure who the actual cloud service provider is, so that's a good point. I'll follow that up. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When you say it's nearing EOL, has it started failing or is it no longer compatible with the systems it's backing up?

For Cloud backups:
    • Double check your internet connection, many are fast download/slow upload.
    • How will you get your initial 370GB onto the cloud?
    • As mentioned, find out the provider. Be aware that the provider may be a white-label version of another provider, try and find out who the real provider is.
    • Will you encrypt your data before it's backed-up or will your take the providers word that this has been done?
    • Will your backups be stored outside the state?
    • Do you have to consider any data protection issues? Will you be transferring personal data relating to your staff/customers to the cloud backup solution?
    • What Service Level Agreements will be in place for your backups and any potential restores? Support hours/response/fix times?
    • Can you find any independent reviews for your chosen backup provider? What (if any) outages have they had recently?

I'm not anti-cloud by any stretch but cloud solutions are not always faster/better/cheaper.

All of that aside, if I were your IT provider I would probably recommend a Cloud based backup service as being ideal for your business. If I sold you a tape drive I might make a small one-off margin. If I sold you a cloud backup solution I'd more likely than not be getting a monthly/quarterly cheque for my percentage of your subscription charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dogstar_ie

Many thanks for the extremely valuable advice. I will put all of these questions to our IT provider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement