Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri an Mhi 70.3 - Prize Money Boost

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Who is 153 - DM? he must like drafting? Is there not a DQ for a second drafting offence or what is the rule? Guys like that should be lambasted for the cheats they are.

I'm not sure what you are referring to or where you saw this but just want to clarify. The RD erroneously stated at the briefing that a third drafting offence would result in a DQ. It should in fact be a 2nd offence that results in a DQ - however the 3 strike rule was thus the one that had to be enforced on the day. Hence a couple of people ended up getting 2 drafting penalties instead of a DQ. 4mins was awarded for each drafting penalty today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Great race out there today, perfect weather conditions, and serious organisation from a race that just went like clockwork.

I learnt a lot today, and plain and simple I just love racing. It really is the only true test.

Anyway, mini report as follows:

Swim - 27:54 (22/202), 1.8km

Started at the front, got swallowed up by 10 or so at the initial fight to first buoy and settled into a rhythm then.
    Course was 2 x triangle loops, I was beside Trinewbie for most of the swim, tucked in behind him for a bit of first lap, then moved alongside for second lap as guy ahead was taking some strange lines.
    That could be me as well though as I was notably wide for some of the turns and defo swam a bit extra than I should have.
    Moved slightly ahead at the end and into T1.
    Happy enough for a first race swim.
    Water temp was perfect, lake very clear and really prob should have been faster but didn't draft enough or get away quick enough.

T1 - 1:14 (11/202)

Trinewbie joined me beside bike, noticed Bambatta was long gone and I made a little mess getting helmet on but nothing like as bad as trinewbie who was on his ass trying to extrapolate his right leg from his wetsuit as I headed out on the bike... :pac::pac::pac:

Bike - 2:31:18 (2/201)

So I'm out of T2 ahead of the race favourite, Bambatta up the road and so it's time to put the hammer down.
    As trinewbie was behind, I decided to take the first lap out hard and see if I could push his god damn run legs a bit and also so I could catch those ahead.
    Legs felt good at start, passed Ruaighri Geraghty around 15km and was moving well.
    Into 4th around 30km or so in and trinewbie comes past. I back off 15metres and try hold pace but it isn't too long before he's edging away.
    I'm holding strong watts for my current fitness and as we can see 2nd place in the distance and appear to be closing I hold pace.

Into 2nd lap and Trinewbie has gone up into 1st and I can see 2nd and 3rd ahead, quite close actually.
    As I get closer it looks strongly like a bit of drafting is going on or someone needs to revisit the race briefing and measure proper draft etiquette.
    Anyway, I pass 2nd and 3rd in close proximity and start to get a little gap.

The motorbike officials were top notch, providing time gaps at regular intervals on the second lap.
    On the second climb I can see Trinewbie ahead and clock him at 1min20sec ahead. About 10km later I get a 2min split and sure he's over 3mins ahead by the time I hit T2.

Now for the surprising bit.. I managed to hold higher watts than this time last year. Which is a big shock as I haven't done the quality just yet.
    I faded near the last 10km last year also which suggests I biked quite hard, but this year I managed to hold watts to the end which is a bit confusing.

http://tpks.ws/Xdgc

257watts average, normalised 261 for a 2:30odd bike split.

Last year was 253 average, normalised 261 for a 2:27 bike split.

The difference? I am 2kg over last years race weight, and the wind on the back straight was a bit stronger this year (maybe 1min ish).

T2 - 0:53 - 10/201

In, see trinewbies bike, put on socks and out. Pretty good considering socks on.

Run - 1:29:07 - 13/201

Felt like utter crap for the first 7km or so. Saw Geraghty about 1min down at the turn and running well. He caught me soon after and I couldn't stick with him.
    Paul Carroll then passed me around 10km ish, I managed to stay with him for a bit, then he'd edge away especially on climbs.
    I pushed at the end and closed maybe to 20secs but then got a stitch near end for my efforts and Paul was too strong.

Overall - 4th in 4:30 odd.

I'm very happy with this, I haven't done anywhere near the quality especially on the run and to match last years figures was a surprise.
    The bike was a big bonus, may need to revise FTP so prob near to 4.5 w/kg or so again thankfully and without much real threshold work.
    I honestly know my run isn't at last years level so to match the split off a similar bike effort is nice. Bodes well for future months of real quality at least.

Kilkee is next up, will be doing some proper race pace efforts ahead of this so it's not a total shock but realistically I don't have the top end of the faster guys. I'll go there to try use the bike as an FTP test if I don't get one done before then ha! ;):D

Big shout out to Tri an Mhi.

Epic race for the second year in a row (that I've done it).
    Serious respect for upping the prize money and a really well organised race.
    This course is so honest there is no hiding, as I found out!
    All went like clockwork and I can honestly say no complaints whatsoever.
    A great race to compete in and hopefully back next year for some more, with a better result of course! :cool:

Well done to trinewbie, delivered a result to his fitness and cleaned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

EC1000 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are referring to or where you saw this but just want to clarify. The RD erroneously stated at the briefing that a third drafting offence would result in a DQ. It should in fact be a 2nd offence that results in a DQ - however the 3 strike rule was thus the one that had to be enforced on the day. Hence a couple of people ended up getting 2 drafting penalties instead of a DQ. 4mins was awarded for each drafting penalty today.

Just seen a tweet of the board with that number and 2 offences against it and was unsure of the rule. Thought a 2nd offence and it was auto DQ. Only enquiring. Great to see so many getting busted rather than it being overlooked looks like the race was well enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Had my first go at this distance yesterday. Great organisation, everything went on the minute they said it would! Tough run course with a few hills to do twice.

Very impressed with how strict they were with taking bikes out of transition - good to see with so many expensive bikes.

The last KM was marked two different places but that was the only black mark - and that was probably more to do with me wanting to get to 21k!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    The bike doesn't matter it's all about the swim right?
    happy to do a bike tt against you any day!

Enjoyed being out there y day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Really enjoyed this race yesterday, as said above brilliant organization and marshals and well stocked aid stations on the run, good to see so many drafting penalties given out, I didn't get close to the time I wanted but was happy i stuck at it and kept going when things weren't going my way, was hoping to introduce myself to a couple of you über racers but alas ye were probably In bed when I crossed the line:D looking forward to Kilkee in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Fazz wrote: »
    Great race out there today, perfect weather conditions, and serious organisation from a race that just went like clockwork.

I learnt a lot today, and plain and simple I just love racing. It really is the only true test.

Anyway, mini report as follows:

Swim - 27:54 (22/202), 1.8km

Started at the front, got swallowed up by 10 or so at the initial fight to first buoy and settled into a rhythm then.
    Course was 2 x triangle loops, I was beside Trinewbie for most of the swim, tucked in behind him for a bit of first lap, then moved alongside for second lap as guy ahead was taking some strange lines.
    That could be me as well though as I was notably wide for some of the turns and defo swam a bit extra than I should have.
    Moved slightly ahead at the end and into T1.
    Happy enough for a first race swim.
    Water temp was perfect, lake very clear and really prob should have been faster but didn't draft enough or get away quick enough.

T1 - 1:14 (11/202)

Trinewbie joined me beside bike, noticed Bambatta was long gone and I made a little mess getting helmet on but nothing like as bad as trinewbie who was on his ass trying to extrapolate his right leg from his wetsuit as I headed out on the bike... :pac::pac::pac:

Bike - 2:31:18 (2/201)

So I'm out of T2 ahead of the race favourite, Bambatta up the road and so it's time to put the hammer down.
    As trinewbie was behind, I decided to take the first lap out hard and see if I could push his god damn run legs a bit and also so I could catch those ahead.
    Legs felt good at start, passed Ruaighri Geraghty around 15km and was moving well.
    Into 4th around 30km or so in and trinewbie comes past. I back off 15metres and try hold pace but it isn't too long before he's edging away.
    I'm holding strong watts for my current fitness and as we can see 2nd place in the distance and appear to be closing I hold pace.

Into 2nd lap and Trinewbie has gone up into 1st and I can see 2nd and 3rd ahead, quite close actually.
    As I get closer it looks strongly like a bit of drafting is going on or someone needs to revisit the race briefing and measure proper draft etiquette.
    Anyway, I pass 2nd and 3rd in close proximity and start to get a little gap.

The motorbike officials were top notch, providing time gaps at regular intervals on the second lap.
    On the second climb I can see Trinewbie ahead and clock him at 1min20sec ahead. About 10km later I get a 2min split and sure he's over 3mins ahead by the time I hit T2.

Now for the surprising bit.. I managed to hold higher watts than this time last year. Which is a big shock as I haven't done the quality just yet.
    I faded near the last 10km last year also which suggests I biked quite hard, but this year I managed to hold watts to the end which is a bit confusing.

http://tpks.ws/Xdgc

257watts average, normalised 261 for a 2:30odd bike split.

Last year was 253 average, normalised 261 for a 2:27 bike split.

The difference? I am 2kg over last years race weight, and the wind on the back straight was a bit stronger this year (maybe 1min ish).

T2 - 0:53 - 10/201

In, see trinewbies bike, put on socks and out. Pretty good considering socks on.

Run - 1:29:07 - 13/201

Felt like utter crap for the first 7km or so. Saw Geraghty about 1min down at the turn and running well. He caught me soon after and I couldn't stick with him.
    Paul Carroll then passed me around 10km ish, I managed to stay with him for a bit, then he'd edge away especially on climbs.
    I pushed at the end and closed maybe to 20secs but then got a stitch near end for my efforts and Paul was too strong.

Overall - 4th in 4:30 odd.

I'm very happy with this, I haven't done anywhere near the quality especially on the run and to match last years figures was a surprise.
    The bike was a big bonus, may need to revise FTP so prob near to 4.5 w/kg or so again thankfully and without much real threshold work.
    I honestly know my run isn't at last years level so to match the split off a similar bike effort is nice. Bodes well for future months of real quality at least.

Kilkee is next up, will be doing some proper race pace efforts ahead of this so it's not a total shock but realistically I don't have the top end of the faster guys. I'll go there to try use the bike as an FTP test if I don't get one done before then ha! ;):D

Big shout out to Tri an Mhi.

Epic race for the second year in a row (that I've done it).
    Serious respect for upping the prize money and a really well organised race.
    This course is so honest there is no hiding, as I found out!
    All went like clockwork and I can honestly say no complaints whatsoever.
    A great race to compete in and hopefully back next year for some more, with a better result of course! :cool:

Well done to trinewbie, delivered a result to his fitness and cleaned up.

Thanks Fazz , great race report. Happy with the result,a great race on an honest course, definitely no hiding.

My race report goes like this:

Swim: Push for the first lap then sit on Fazz feet for the second.
    T1: Stop,sit down, struggle to get wetsuit off, put on socks,have a cup of tea, a sambo etc...drop only bottle on way out of trasnitiion, stop , get off bike, pick up bottle...
    Bike: Push hard on the first lap, push harder on second lap. Eat some sugary crap, drink even more sugary crap.
    Run; Hang on for dear life.Dont wear a watch and run scared.

A truly deadly race run really well, cannot reccomend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

trinewbie wrote: »
    Thanks Fazz , great race report. Happy with the result,a great race on an honest course, definitely no hiding.

My race report goes like this:

Swim: Push for the first lap then sit on Fazz feet for the second.
    T1: Stop,sit down, struggle to get wetsuit off, put on socks,have a cup of tea, a sambo etc...drop only bottle on way out of trasnitiion, stop , get off bike, pick up bottle...
    Bike: Push hard on the first lap, push harder on second lap. Eat some sugary crap, drink even more sugary crap.
    Run; Hang on for dear life.Dont wear a watch and run scared.

A truly deadly race run really well, cannot reccomend it enough.

Congrats dude. Nice report too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Just got a call from Pearse in Tri an Mhi asking what I thought about the race and is there anything I would like them to improve on, I thought this was a very nice touch that the organizers would ask a back of packer like myself for my opinion, I have even more respect now for what is a great and well organized event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Tri an Mhi are a great club. I've always enjoyed their events.

• Advertisement
Advertisement