Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing in my pension

Options
  • 08-01-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi All,

I most likely know the answer to this but want to get some advice.

I am currently on notice off redundancy and have a pension for the last 6 years with the company I work for.

They contribute X and I contribute Y each month.

Since there is a chance I will not find a job anytime soon in this economy, can I cash in part or all of my pension minus penalities and tax etc.

I know under 2 years you can get your contributions back but I am pretty sure I cant at my stage.

I know there are options to transfer it etc but as most people I need is cash to pay bills, feed mouths etc.

Any ideas or can I kiss goodbye to the money until I am at a retiring age which is about 20 years away.

Any help ideas would be much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If any of the money you contributed was into an AVC, you are now allowed to cash in 30% of that money (it's taxable) but in respect of the main fund, you can forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Pretty much what I thought thanks for the info

Advertisement