Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCP finance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭gocall01

irlrobins wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but in gocall01's example his balloon payment is lower than the GFV. Hence my confusion.

€10,094 in remaining finance after 3 years.
    Value of car after 3 years: €15,000

The €10,094 figure is the finance I would need to cover after 3 years to buy the car outright.
    After 3 years the estimated value of the car per the dealer is €15,000.
    Basically this means the difference of ~€5,000 will be used as the deposit on the 191 car if I decide to go with the option.

My example is correct, there should be no confusion IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

irlrobins wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but in gocall01's example his balloon payment is lower than the GFV. Hence my confusion.

The GMFV is the 10k.

The 15k "future value" after three years is an estimated trade-in value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

gocall01 wrote: »

Ok, so it's an estimate and not guaranteed. Makes more sense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Looking at the Skoda example, the monthly repayments would need to be double so the ballon payment was in savings and to fully own the car after three years. If the second hand car market crashed such that the car was only worth €10,000 or less after three years, then gocall01 would be left with no car, and no deposit.

It is a risk. It is an incentive to be very careful with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

I'm sure its been said and argued but this is a long thread.

If so many are choosing new over second hand, surely this means that the market to sell a second hand car is getting much smaller.
    Crystal Ball:
    When the majority of PCP clients have finished their 3 years
    Its time to see how much more their car is worth over the GMFV, which is effectively the deposit for a new PCP
    Seen as there are very few buyers left in the second hand car market, there is a distinct possibility that the car is worth much less than the GMFV

Result:
    1. Client has to stump up the GMFV in order to keep the car.
    2. Client cannot afford to pay the GMFV so has to hand back the car + the difference in GMFV

This could mean that GMFV of current cars is too high as it is.
    But is this another ponzi scheme ready to fall? In the next couple of years will there be a major new car market crash?

I know PCP is a re-jigged HP arrangement, but is HP not normally over 5 years therefore protracted payment and clients keeping the cars rather than upgrading straight after 5years?

That's my brain fart for monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If the car is worth less than the GFV after 3 years the customer can just hand it bavk and walk away from it owing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

gocall01 wrote: »
    €10,094 in remaining finance after 3 years.
    Value of car after 3 years: €15,000

The €10,094 figure is the finance I would need to cover after 3 years to buy the car outright.
    Basically this means the difference of ~€5,000 will be used as the deposit on the 191 car if I decide to go with the option.

My example is correct, there should be no confusion IMO.

€15,000 seems very good:). Do they guarantee that in writing, and/or is it dependent on mileage, normal wear & tear etc? I saw you'd mentioned that a service pack of €500 was mandatory if you wanted 0% finance.

If they're 'giving' you 15 grand for it, what'll they be looking for it on resale? :eek: 8 131 1.6 Octy Ambitions (dealer) on carzone atm, average asking price of €17,400!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/result/cars/keyword/ambition/make/skoda/model/octavia/min-year/2013-131/max-year/2013-131/fuel-type/diesel/min-engine-size/1-5/max-engine-size/1-7/seller-type/simi-dealer/seller-type/non-simi-dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

curiosity wrote: »
    €15,000 seems very good:). Do they guarantee that in writing, and/or is it dependent on mileage, normal wear & tear etc? I saw you'd mentioned that a service pack of €500 was mandatory if you wanted 0% finance.

If they're 'giving' you 15 grand for it, what'll they be looking for it on resale? :eek: 8 131 1.6 Octy Ambitions (dealer) on carzone atm, average asking price of €17,400!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/result/cars/keyword/ambition/make/skoda/model/octavia/min-year/2013-131/max-year/2013-131/fuel-type/diesel/min-engine-size/1-5/max-engine-size/1-7/seller-type/simi-dealer/seller-type/non-simi-dealer

The 15k will not be written down anywhere. It's an estimate from the dealer and not binding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I thought i had this pcp worked out but looking at toyotas site there it says the gmfv is payable if you renew or retain the vehicle at the end.

ofcork wrote: »
    I thought i had this pcp worked out but looking at toyotas site there it says the gmfv is payable if you renew or retain the vehicle at the end.

Thats correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I thought you only paid the gmfv if keeping the car,going into a new one you would hopefully have your deposit ie difference between the market value and gmfv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The 15k will not be written down anywhere. It's an estimate from the dealer and not binding.

That's what I would have thought.:)

ofcork wrote: »
    I thought you only paid the gmfv if keeping the car,going into a new one you would hopefully have your deposit ie difference between the market value and gmfv.

When trading in the gmfv is paid off by being deducted from the value of your trade-in. So you don't physically write a cheque but it is paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Thats correct.

@Drummerboy08 - do you expect to see the increased popularity of PCP impacting secondhand sales/values? Just curious as a lot of people who normally buy the 3 y/o trade ins seem to be buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Would be amazed if that was the case

Lets say I buy a car worth €25,000

Initial deposit (Trade-in): €7,000

Payments over 3 years: €9,000 in total

GMFV: €9000

Over 3 years I clock up huge mileage and have a few bumps and bruises because others have reversed into my parked car on Saturday shopping etc.

Car therefore is worth only €6900 after 3 years.

Would be very surprised if I could hand it back and walk away, and if it was possible to do it, I would imagine that I wouldnt get finance for another PCP elsewhere.
    If the car is worth less than the GFV after 3 years the customer can just hand it bavk and walk away from it owing nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

zizou_ wrote: »
    @Drummerboy08 - do you expect to see the increased popularity of PCP impacting secondhand sales/values? Just curious as a lot of people who normally buy the 3 y/o trade ins seem to be buying new.

The point is that car sales were very low for the past number of years so there are not a lot of 2, 3, or 4 year olds at the moment but there will be a lot of them about in 3 years time. Prices could be low then, but that depends on demand and that depends on the economy. If we are back in boom time, then prices could be high again.

Would be amazed if that was the case

Lets say I buy a car worth €25,000

Initial deposit (Trade-in): €7,000

Payments over 3 years: €9,000 in total

GMFV: €9000

Over 3 years I clock up huge mileage and have a few bumps and bruises because others have reversed into my parked car on Saturday shopping etc.

Car therefore is worth only €6900 after 3 years.

Would be very surprised if I could hand it back and walk away, and if it was possible to do it, I would imagine that I wouldnt get finance for another PCP elsewhere.

The GMFV has a mileage limit. You can select higher mileage limits but the repayments go up and the GMFV goes down.

Every three year old car will have some scratches but dents or crash damage would need to be repaired

Yes but in that case you are penalised for going over the mileage quota. My original point was that I would be very surprised if you could simply hand back the car without further payment if you had gone over mileage and say there was damage to the car.

There is bound to be a financial penalty, it couldnt be as simple as handing back the car.
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The GMFV has a mileage limit. You can select higher mileage limits but the repayments go up and the GMFV goes down.

Every three year old car will have some scratches but dents or crash damage would need to be repaired

If you go over the agreed mileage limit or damage the vehicle in excess of fair wear and tear (I. E. normal damage caused by every day usage, stone chips etc) then you'll be charged for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Is there a cooling off period with PCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭FaganJr

PCP does work, its been in the UK for many years, so its tried and tested.

I was tempted and based it on the following

Looked at a car circa 30k
    Based on 33% deposit (which you can get) 10k
    Roughly 300pm ( actually a little less maybe 289pm)
    Trading in car for 16500
    Cheque back from dealer for 6500
    6500 / 289 = 22.5 months paid for
    leaving 13.5 months @ 289 = 3901 (actual cost to me for 3 years )

3 year old same model car on forecourt is 20k

Trade in car in 3 years with owing 10k and getting back 8500 (18500 trade in value )
    Stick 1500 with that and have another new car.

So over 6 years the cash from my account would be 1st car 3901 + 2nd car (10404 + 1500)= 15805

So after 6 years would have another nest egg well built up to either buy out right or start PCP again

But in the end I just bought for straigh cash, answer to nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

FaganJr wrote: »

Trading in car for 16500

Trade in car in 3 years with owing 10k and getting back 8500 (18500 trade in value )

So over 6 years the cash from my account would be 1st car 3901 + 2nd car (10404 + 1500)= 15805

So after 6 years would have another nest egg well built up to either buy out right or start PCP again

Absolutely it does seem to work in the uk.

In your example a car that costs 30k is in three years time going to be work 20k? That seems unlikely no? Perhaps I am missing something.

frankz wrote:
    In your example a car that costs 30k is in three years time going to be work 20k? That seems unlikely no? Perhaps I am missing something.

As I said the office is based on actual main dealer forecourt stock.
    Sticker price on 3 year old stock.
    I was looking at 161 same model car.

It all stacks up from actual research carried out by myself by going to dealers and going through figures and comparing quotes against actual stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

As I said the office is based on actual main dealer forecourt stock.
    Sticker price on 3 year old stock.
    I was looking at 161 same model car.

It all stacks up from actual research carried out by myself by going to dealers and going through figures and comparing quotes against actual stock.

Perfect, I wasn't doubting you at all - just making sure I understood because am struggling to get head around/make pcp work for me.

Can you say what model car this is for - as the figures sound doable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Can anyone discuss their experience at the end of a PCP finance deal?

For me I've a few months left on mine. Can afford to pay the balance.

Would i be better off saying that "Ill pay it off" so that they might offer me a better PCP offer on a newer car? Does such thing happen (as i imagine the garage are keen to keep you on the PCP hook)?

• Advertisement

They'll give you a value on your own car noe to go against a new one, and then run the new pcp figures based on that.

No point in saying you'll pay it off if you have no intention to, cos they just won't offer you anything then!

As always, try a few different dealers to get the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just to add my own 2cents... i contacted a dealer regarding pcp on a new vw gti. I thought it might be something i could look at and if it was affordable i would probably go for it. He sent back a quotation to me. ....interest rate was good but he was giving me feck all for my trade in. Roughly undervaluing my car by 3500 -4000. That finished my interest in a deal. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Interest rate should be 0% on a gti.

Sell your own privately.

Just to add my own 2cents... i contacted a dealer regarding pcp on a new vw gti. I thought it might be something i could look at and if it was affordable i would probably go for it. He sent back a quotation to me. ....interest rate was good but he was giving me feck all for my trade in. Roughly undervaluing my car by 3500 -4000. That finished my interest in a deal. ...

The question is who's opinion on the value of your car is correct, yours or the dealers?

Price it somewhere else and you'll find out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I had priced it elsewhere by checking like for like on carzone and other websites. Anyway i suppose what i was getting at was i thought maybe he might have pushed a better deal. To me, he seemed miles off the mark even though i had dealt with him previously. Not to worry. ....i realise the best way is to sell privately and then haggle so i might just look at that in the next few months.

• Advertisement

Did you just take the average price of the car on carzone and run with that or did you allow for a few grand less for it, by the time the dealer prepares it, has margin to give discount and makes a few quid?

frankz wrote:
    Perfect, I wasn't doubting you at all - just making sure I understood because am struggling to get head around/make pcp work for me.

I was looking at a few different makes and models, but this would apply closely with hyundai i40 with extras or mazda 3 exec 2.2 with extras. Again shop around, I was researching and phoning dealers all over country since November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Interest rate should be 0% on a gti.

Sell your own privately.

Only if you have €11,000 deposit. ;)

Really? Never knew the rate was dependent on deposit. Not that it matters for me anyway, I'll not be buying a new car.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Really? Never knew the rate was dependent on deposit. Not that it matters for me anyway, I'll not be buying a new car.

Yeh they have the list of deposits needed for the various 0% deals on their website. 11k to sink into a Golf (or any car) is quite a lot IMO.

PCP definitely works but only for low mileage drivers.

You don't specify what mileage you do, so I assume you are a low mileage driver to estimate value at €20,000 after 3 years

Trading in car for 16500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hi, wondering if ye have advice for me on whether PCP is a good option for me...

Basically I have a 00 vw polo 1.4l automatic which I've had since it was 4 yrs old, and alas it's really starting to fade on me. So starting what is potentially a panic search for a replacement.
    I know I was spoilt with my polo, it had ridiculously low mileage and never really gave me an ounce of trouble in the past 11 years. I'm almost certain that 'they don't build em like they used to' ;)

But anyway my criteria are:
    Must be automatic
    Preferably At least 1.4 ( but I could drop to 1.2)
    4 / 5 doors with decent boot space (2 small kids)
    Ive no preference between petrol / diesel / hybrid. My mileage is very very low.

Now to money:
    I can probably scrape together 7k ...
    So do I try and get a 2nd hand car for this or use the money for a deposit?
    I couldn't afford much more than 200 a month on repayments so this kinda rules out HP / bank loan. But if a decent 2nd hand car was out there in the 10-12 grandi could maybe borrow the balance between the price & my 7k. Ack I don't know.

Having read through a lot of posts here, there's been a few recommendations to save over the 3 years for the final payment. This sounds like a good idea, especially as the kids will have the car destroyed ;) And I've no problem hanging onto a car (obviously;) ) it's just having the amount to actually put away is the issue, I'm close to the wire every month as it is as I've cut down to 4 days at work.

But also I just don't know what to go for, I guess the 0% are the ones to go for yes? So is it just vw bank (vw, seat, skoda) that are doing 0%?

Nissan seem to be 7.9%, Toyota 5.9%,

Kia will do 0% but only with a 40% deposit (/trade in) and over 4 years. Otherwise they are the same as Toyota.

Hyundai 6.9%

So that's as far as I've gotten really....

What to do? Any of ye wise people have some advice? Go for PCP or run a mile?

Karmella wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if ye have advice for me on whether PCP is a good option for me...

Basically I have a 00 vw polo 1.4l automatic which I've had since it was 4 yrs old, and alas it's really starting to fade on me. So starting what is potentially a panic search for a replacement.
    I know I was spoilt with my polo, it had ridiculously low mileage and never really gave me an ounce of trouble in the past 11 years. I'm almost certain that 'they don't build em like they used to' ;)

But anyway my criteria are:
    Must be automatic
    Preferably At least 1.4 ( but I could drop to 1.2)
    4 / 5 doors with decent boot space (2 small kids)
    Ive no preference between petrol / diesel / hybrid. My mileage is very very low.

Now to money:
    I can probably scrape together 7k ...
    So do I try and get a 2nd hand car for this or use the money for a deposit?
    I couldn't afford much more than 200 a month on repayments so this kinda rules out HP / bank loan. But if a decent 2nd hand car was out there in the 10-12 grandi could maybe borrow the balance between the price & my 7k. Ack I don't know.

Having read through a lot of posts here, there's been a few recommendations to save over the 3 years for the final payment. This sounds like a good idea, especially as the kids will have the car destroyed ;) And I've no problem hanging onto a car (obviously;) ) it's just having the amount to actually put away is the issue, I'm close to the wire every month as it is as I've cut down to 4 days at work.

But also I just don't know what to go for, I guess the 0% are the ones to go for yes? So is it just vw bank (vw, seat, skoda) that are doing 0%?

Nissan seem to be 7.9%, Toyota 5.9%,

Kia will do 0% but only with a 40% deposit (/trade in) and over 4 years. Otherwise they are the same as Toyota.

Hyundai 6.9%

So that's as far as I've gotten really....

What to do? Any of ye wise people have some advice? Go for PCP or run a mile?

If you feel like you'd be leaving yourself tight with repayments and have 7k in savings then buy a car for 7k. Plenty of good cars out there for that money. Boring answer but the right one if you're conscious of monthly bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Skoda Fabia/combi? Interest free, 3 years servicing included, @~€;150 p.m. and the max deposit would be closer to 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Renault Clio - current pcp rate 2.9% and a perfect car for your needs, would have to check if there's an auto option I don't know.

Cracking looking car as as big as the Megane was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KFed

You bought a 4 year old car and it's served you hassle free for 12 consecutive years.

I'd advise you do something similar. If your own is on it's way out, and it's 16 years old, it's probably worth next to nothing as a trade in / private sale. That leaves you as a cash buyer at a dealer, or a cash buyer in a private sale.

If your current budget is a max of 7k, but you're wondering should you spend the max and enter into a PCP / HP / Loan deal - what if something unforeseen comes along?

A new baby / a cut in hours at work / an unforeseen illness?

You say things are tight as it is as you've gone down to a four day week so I honestly wouldn't enter into a PCP whereby you hope to save the final bullet payment over the term. If you're shy on the bullet payment, you have to get a loan to cover it - what if the bank won't give you the loan? Or, does this force you into handing the car back, now you've no car? Or, does this force you to trade it in and take a new car on PCP but be locked into repayments with a new bullet on the back end?

Any car you buy will depreciate, a new car more so.

If you've had a good experience in the second hand market (12 years trouble free motoring) why not try for the same again?

Also as regards your budget, if you have 7k - it doesn't mean you have to spend the full 7k. Why not spend say 5.5k and keep 1.5k to cover a full service, new set of tyres etc?

Just because you have 7k, doesn't mean you have to spend it!

In the Celtic Tiger there were 110% mortgages - buy the house, pay the legal fees and stamp duty, upgrade the car and take a foreign holiday. Look at how that could and did work out.

Rather than go for a brand new car on PCP - why not upgrade a few years?

If you bought say a 07 - the values on these have taken a hit as they're on the old tax. But the old tax on small petrol engined cars is c. 385, which isn't vastly removed from the 'low tax' on the new diesels. But generally you have a simpler petrol engine mechanically so unlikely to need expensive DPF repairs that can occur with the 'low tax' modern diesels?

If you bought an 07 and it lasted as well as your Polo has - you'd have another 7 years of service. If you can pick one up for the 5-6k mark, that's cheap and cheerful motoring.

In contrast, a new car on PCP will cost you your full 7k budget plus a monthly repayment plus a bullet on the end... While is has a value at that point, your cash flow is strained right through that time, and you'll have taken a big hit on depreciation. The total cost of ownership is likely to be much higher for you on the newer car.

There ought to be good low mileage automatic examples out there. I'd start there with the private sales. The old saying is buy the seller. If you can find a good private sale example, great. If you go to the main dealers, you have a good level of comeback (but you'll pay a premium for that privilege). If you do go for a second hand car, a lot of the older examples (like the 07 vintage I'm advocating) are at smaller garages some of whome have dubious reputations.

Do your homework carefully, insist on having your own mechanic inspect the car. Look for a service history (are their receipts to support it, is there a stamped history and can you corroborate it by ringing the mechanic/garage who did the work), do the NCT certs show the mileage and when it was NCT'd, can you get a cartell report (35e?) to show the history on the car.

If you're not 100% on the seller, or the history of the car, walk away.

It would be better to use some of your fund to pay for more bus journeys / the odd taxi while you find the right car, rather than spend your budget and find you have an unreliable car!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KFed

Galway might be a long way to look at a car but if you ring and enquire about the service history etc, it might give a sense of whether it's viable. E6,650 for a 07 automatic polo with 42k km?

carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/used-2007-volkswagen-polo-polo-co-galway-fpa-201603240473015

Cork may be a long way to travel but a main Volksagen dealer has a 2008 automatic polo asking 8,995? 1 owner from new. IF Volkswagen main dealer are selling it directly themselves then they obviously are confident that they can sell it and it won't come back and cost them money through warranty work. I'm sure you could negotiate money off that, but if your budget is 7k you could borrow 2k and pay it back over 2 years at about 90e a month from the credit union.

carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2008-volkswagen-golf-plus-1-cork-fpa-201314538292972710?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST

Granted, neither of these cars are brand new, but, I think that type of car would suit your circumstances.

I'm an accountant by trade and a PCP deal is actually a product which has a deposit up front, but then it's a loan the same as any other for the full amount but the payments are simply structured to give a low monthly for a term (36 months say) with a final payment on the back end. It's just a type of bank loan.

The headline rates scream at you (0% finance etc etc) but the manufacturer sits on the other side of that trade. Why sell their cars to buyer A (on PCP) for less than they can sell them to buyer B (cash buyer/funded by bank or credit union loan).

The trade markets the PCP deals as the low monthly payments make that new car appear more affordable, but you'll find they make the same profit overall. If they're in business to make a profit, why would they sell on PCP if they make less money overall?

You as a consumer sit on the buy side of the trade, the manufacturer and bank sits on the lend/retail side of the trade. Everyone is out for the most profitable deal for them so run the numbers and go with what suits your circumstances.

Be wary of stretching yourself financially though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Thanks KFed, I've been having a re-think alright this morning and I definitely can't afford the PCP, even at a 0%.

It was actually the thought of trawling through done deal & carzone to find a decent car for my budget was killing me - like I said I was completely spoilt with the polo, it fell into my lap at the time!

One thing I've noticed about the automatics for sale out there is that an awful lot of them are Japanese imports - which wouldn't be a problem for most, but the light levers on these tend to be on the right hand side of the steering wheel and this is a problem for me (the same reason I have to drive an auto).

Anyway, thanks for the advice all, I'm off on the search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Don't forget if you are moving from a pre-08 petrol car to a new diesel you will probably save a couple of hundred a month just through fuel costs and tax, not to mention the absence of maintenance on the new car - this can add up and might help offset the monthly PCP outlay meaning the net cost to change becomes quite small.

Sit down and do the maths, and if you're having trouble even take a look at the Nissan Go Calculator for some ballpark ideas.

At least with PCP you have a new car and you have it from the very first day.

Secondhand cars can be clocked meaning that sometimes you aren't getting what you believe you are getting

If a car had it's mileage strategically reduced by say 10,000km before each service at the cost of €80-€100 as indicated by this article, then it would mean that the true mileage would go undetected by the service history.

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/shock-aa-report-shows-11-of-uk-car-imports-have-false-mileages/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wonder would PCP ever work for me?

Current situation, I own (outright) a 131 Ford Focus, bought last year. Not sure what it would be worth, maybe €14000?

Usually when I change car (which will probably be in 2017 sometime), I aim to trade up to a 2 yr old car, so next year I would be hoping to buy a 15 car around the same segment (so Focus, Golf, Pulsar, etc). I hope to do this but adding cash to the trade-in amount to change up.

Would PCP work at all in my case, to get a brand new car?
    Would I lose out money? Would adding cash to trade-in always work out better for me, or would it be a case or going along and getting a PCP quote?

You don't specify what mileage you do, so I assume you are a low mileage driver to estimate value at €20,000 after 3 years

PCP definitely works but only for low mileage drivers.

Yes 8-10 max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Was in BMW and got pcp quotes for a 3 series.
    On the offer there are different monthly rates for 15,20,25k km per year.
    Also mentions 7 cent extra per km over allowance.
    Am I correct that these km penalties only come into play if I hand the car back and walk away?
    The finance guy said just go for the 15k rate.
    Also if I pay off early I have to pay 3 months interest and documentation fee to settle the finance.
    I did a pcp with VW and was never offered different rates and never told about interest charges for paying off early.
    Are these charges peculiar to BMW or did VW neglect to tell me about the small print?
    The gfv is 44.4% for the BMW as opposed to 38% with VW which seems optimistic to me.

There are no charges from VW for paying out early. You actually pay less interest as you are not borrowing for the complete term, but a shorter term. Call your dealer and they can give you a settlement figure very easily. By them accessing this, you will get a letter in the post shortly after detailing the amounts automatically from VW.

You are right regarding the km allowance, the 7c/km only applies if walking away. The lower you make your annual KM, the higher your GFMV will be making monthlies lower. But balloon payment bigger at end. Idea being if you stick to the low km you agreed your car will be worth more to cover it.

• Advertisement

Would be very interested in seeing how that would stand up in the future. At 7cent a km, that equates to 700 euro for every 10,000 km.

30,000 km over budget would be €2100 of a penalty which does not seem excessively harsh considering the probably devaluation of a car with 30,000 more km on the clock

Advertisement