Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCP finance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I would like to hear people's thoughts on the below, as I am torn and do not know what to do.

I am looking at a new Mini Cooper on PCP.

Price of the car - €30,500
    Deposit - €8,500
    Monthly repayments - €289

These are the only figures I have been given. I have not been given a GFV yet. Based on these figures, if I was to go on PCP again in 3 years time, what deposit might I be looking at?

I'm on a salary of €29,000 and I live at home. Is this doable?

Of course it's doable. I personally think you'd be mental though!

Why don't you do this?
    You have €8500 saved.
    Spend that on a secondhand car.
    Save the €289 per month, giving you €3500 this time next year.
    Come next year, if you fancy a change, you'll have a car that's lost very little in depreciation and €3500 to trade up with.
    If you don't fancy a change, keep the car and keep saving.

The point is, you're always in charge.
    You decide if you want to keep or change the car.
    You decide if you want to put 30,000 kms or 3,000 kms annually on it.
    You decide if you want to get a dent repaired as you're not worried about your GFV.

I've made oodles of stupid mistakes that I'm still paying for. You're in a position where you can buy a decent car, for cash, and stay out of debt. And yet you're looking to voluntarily get into debt for a car? Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

You could get an early Cooper Sport for half your deposit which would deliver much the same experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

737max wrote: »
    You could get an early Cooper Sport for half your deposit which would deliver much the same experience.

My son got this for €8750 only 80000 km ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

mickdw wrote: »
    Are you seeing cars coming in at 3 years. I believe vw are working out at about 15 percent to 20 percent equity.
    How are audi looking?
    Bmw?

Take a look at the amount of 131 BMW 3 series on carzone at the moment, and see if that answers your question... Very little equity in them and many have just handed them back and switched brands.

There should be around 15-20% equity with any VW Bank agreement, maybe more if you push hard with a few dealers when it comes time to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I would like to hear people's thoughts on the below, as I am torn and do not know what to do.

I am looking at a new Mini Cooper on PCP.

Price of the car - €30,500
    Deposit - €8,500
    Monthly repayments - €289

These are the only figures I have been given. I have not been given a GFV yet. Based on these figures, if I was to go on PCP again in 3 years time, what deposit might I be looking at?

I'm on a salary of €29,000 and I live at home. Is this doable?

Your initial deposit is very high. Probably the highest allowable. Ask the dealer what the expected equity will be after 3 years. Its probably 2-4k (I don't know) That means to keep your monthly repayments the same after 3 years you will need the difference between your initial deposit and the equity. So 4.5 to 6.5k.

Put in the deposit based on expected equity to match. After 3 years your payments will be very similar. If they are unaffordable and you are unable to raise a new deposit you will likely end up losing the car after 3 years.

30k for that salary seems bonkers.

Get a decent 2nd hand car imho. When you have a family and know your life won't be changing then a PCP deal will make more sense. Boring predictability over many years is the mainstay if family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

^ top advise. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

What would happen in this scenario:

Car bought for 80k
    Deposit of 24,800 (31% which is the max)
    GMFV of 35k.

I pay the monthly installments whatever they may be and after 3 years I just have to pay 35k to own the car outright. Instead of paying the 35k say there is a car in the dealers with a price of 35k. Can I just hand my car in and take full ownership of the 35k car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

MuddyDog wrote: »

Car bought for 80k
    GMFV of 35k.

I pay the monthly installments whatever they may be and after 3 years I just have to pay 35k to own the car outright. Instead of paying the 35k say there is a car in the dealers with a price of 35k. Can I just hand my car in and take full ownership of the 35k car?
    You owe them 35k so that is the amount you have to pay back. This is done by paying 35k or handing the car back (if the car is only worth the gmfv after 3 years you were a silly boy to begin with).It's the reason people keep bringing up the importance of equity. Equity is the amount on top of gmfv. So if you could get 36k for your above example you would have 1k equity to put into a new car deposit etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Car bought for 80k
    GMFV of 35k.

. I would suggest if this is your understanding PCP may not be for you....you would owe 35k not have 35k equity.......you then purchase the 35k car and owe 70k ? Maybe your not clear or I'm missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Needles73 wrote: »
    . I would suggest if this is your understanding PCP may not be for you....you would owe 35k not have 35k equity.......

I phrased my question poorly, it was the equity I was getting at! Zurbaran has explained it perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

I phrased my question poorly, it was the equity I was getting at! Zurbaran has explained it perfectly.
    Ah ok, yes that makes sense. , yes is my thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Car bought for 80k
    GMFV of 35k.

One thing to note about handing a car back is that you probably want to be inside your mileage limits as the finance company may apply charges compared to you getting a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

The more that i have read through this topic the more I'm agreeing with the OP.....can't see the big benefits in the long term with pcp....even for someone like me that does little mileage. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

The more that i have read through this topic the more I'm agreeing with the OP.....can't see the big benefits in the long term with pcp....even for someone like me that does little mileage. ...

It's just a different version of hire purchase, a different angle on owning a new car. I'm confused by the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

It works in three scenarios in my opinion.

1, You go in at around 20% deposit as this will mean you have enough for a deposit on a new one after the contract. Get the quote at around 20% and if you can't handle the monthly's? You can't afford the car.

2, Go the full 30% but save on top of the monthlys so you can make the deposit 3 years away.

3, Again go with the 30% but this time re-finance at the end and keep the car for another three or so years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

The more that i have read through this topic the more I'm agreeing with the OP.....

To my eyes, a PCP is essentially a loan to pay for a car's cost of depreciation, with interest & fees on top. At the end of the term, if you're "lucky", you may have over-paid enough to have a contribution towards doing it all over again. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

spuddy wrote: »
    To my eyes, a PCP is essentially a loan to pay for a car's cost of depreciation, with interest & fees on top. At the end of the term, if you're "lucky", you may have over-paid enough to have a contribution towards doing it all over again. Amazing.

Yes - but you pay interest on the depreciation and GMFV together.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes - but you pay interest on the depreciation and GMFV together.

Yup, thats the catch. You only pay pack the depreciation part - but you pay interest on *both*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

Yup, thats the catch. You only pay pack the depreciation part - but you pay interest on *both*

I think the 'catch' is being persuaded to take out this type of finance in the first place, as you own nothing at the end of the term. The fact that you're paying interest on the double for the privilege adds insult to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the 'catch' is being persuaded to take out this type of finance in the first place, as you own nothing at the end of the term. The fact that you're paying interest on the double for the privilege adds insult to injury.

You are paying interest on all the money you have been loaned so it's hardly a catch. The manufacturer had to be paid for the entire car not just the first 3 years depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

How is it any different to any other type of car finance?

If you take a loan out from your bank or credit union you still have to pay interest on the full amount.

There are plenty of PCP deals with extremely low rates, even zero rates, way lower in fact than any bank or CU loan rates.

There are no catches, injuries or insults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Am I right in thinking that only the banks who gave the PCP finance are exposed if the "buyer" doesn't make payments on the car? Seems to be just Bank Of Ireland and VW Bank in the PCP game or are there any others?

Am I right in thinking that only the banks who gave the PCP finance are exposed if the "buyer" doesn't make payments on the car? Seems to be just Bank Of Ireland and VW Bank in the PCP game or are there any others?

A new website I just found, Google Search, shows Peugeot, Toyota, Dacia, Audi, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, Renault, Kia & BMW are all offering PCP finance.

That's just the first page of the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A new website I just found, Google Search, shows Peugeot, Toyota, Dacia, Audi, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, Renault, Kia & BMW are all offering PCP finance.

That's just the first page of the search.

Yes I know how to use a computer :pac:, I have read the small prints on the finance previous but just not on all 20 plus manufacturers websites who is actually providing the finance to buy the cars, so far it looks to be like BOI are mostly exposed...

Peugeots is provided by BOI
    Toyotas is provided, by BOI
    Audis is provided by VW Bank
    Mazdas is provided by BMW Financial Services
    Nissans is provided by AIB
    Renaults is provided by ?
    Kias is provided by BOI
    BMWs is provided by BMW Financial Services

Completely different. PCP you rent a car. Finance you buy a car.
    If you take a loan out from your bank or credit union you still have to pay interest on the full amount.

Of course. But its clear and up front. Have a look back at this thread and spot the characters who still think that GMFV is a big fat check the garage gives you towards your next car...

There are plenty of PCP deals with extremely low rates, even zero rates, way lower in fact than any bank or CU loan rates.
    And if you think that is the headline cost of a PCP, then good luck to you.

Still some catches. Not sure where you are getting injuries or insults from. Perhaps I should use that new 'search' site you found? :-)

• Advertisement

Not completely different. You are renting money to purchase a car.

Of course. But its clear and up front. Have a look back at this thread and spot the characters who still think that GMFV is a big fat check the garage gives you towards your next car...
    It's not the fault of PCP that characters do not understand what GMFV is

What other costs are you referring to?

Still some catches. Not sure where you are getting injuries or insults from. Perhaps I should use that new 'search' site you found? :-)
    What catches are you referring to? Maybe you should enlighten the 'characters'

I am not for/against PCP, it fits some, not others. But there is a lot of crap been spouted in this thread. It's a simple process.
    Basically, if you can afford a new car, PCP is another option of Finance. If you can't afford a new car, then PCP might not be for you at all.

bidiots wrote: »
    I am not for/against PCP, it fits some, not others. But there is a lot of crap been spouted in this thread. It's a simple process.
    Basically, if you can afford a new car, PCP is another option of Finance. If you can't afford a new car, then PCP might not be for you at all.

That's a great summary. PCP is a very smart way of convincing people that can't afford a new car that they can and keeping them paying as much as they can without giving back any asset.

A masterpiece of social engineering.

Why do you have to finance the GFV part?

A €40k car.
    €10k deposit.
    GFV of €20k.
    Why are you not just financing the €10k difference since, in 3 years' time, you're either giving the car back (so the €20k is paid back that way), or you buy the car (and the €20k is paid back that way)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Soarer wrote: »
    Why do you have to finance the GFV part?

A €40k car.
    €10k deposit.
    GFV of €20k.
    Why are you not just financing the €10k difference since, in 3 years' time, you're either giving the car back (so the €20k is paid back that way), or you buy the car (and the €20k is paid back that way)?

Because someone has to finance the car cost in its entirety, ie the car has to be paid for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

One difference from Bank/CU loans is that you're buying the finance and the car in a bundle, which makes it harder to know what the cost of each is. Whenever you've bundling, it's good to be skeptical since there's usually some element of segmentation/price-discrimination/obfuscation going on. (of course, there are other situations where people buy credit and product at the same time; the key lesson is that "free credit" is almost certainly not free, it's just the price is hidden somewhere else.)

An alternative is to get loan approval from the cheapest finance source you can find. Then take your cheque and drive the hardest deal you can on a car purchase.

• Advertisement

That's a great summary. PCP is a very smart way of convincing people that can't afford a new car that they can and keeping them paying as much as they can without giving back any asset.

A masterpiece of social engineering.
    That's the kicker, exceptional marketing. What happens when this bubble bursts?

Have you ever bought a car using a bank or credit union loan?

OSI wrote: »
    Similar finance packages have been running in the US, UK and Europe for decades, it's well tested as a market at this stage.

Pcp was developed in the 60's in the US.

It's not exactly a new product!

Similar finance packages have been running in the US, UK and Europe for decades, it's well tested as a market at this stage.
    I'm sure it has. I'm afraid this would not instill my confidence in my fellow countrymen, and witnessing the 'people' who now own new cars, unfortunatly I can only see carnage on the horizon in the next few years. Hope Im wrong

I'm sure it has. I'm afraid this would not instill my confidence in my fellow countrymen, and witnessing the 'people' who now own new cars, unfortunatly I can only see carnage on the horizon in the next few years. Hope Im wrong

How do you know how random "people" have paid for their cars? :confused:

How do you know how random "people" have paid for their cars? :confused:
    Who said anything about random "people"?:confused:

Who said anything about random "people"?:confused:

What "people" are you talking about then?

What "people" are you talking about then?
    Maybe read the sentence first... :rolleyes:
    and witnessing the 'people' who now own new cars

So enough dragging off topic!

Maybe read the sentence first... :rolleyes:
    and witnessing the 'people' who now own new cars

So enough dragging off topic!

Do you work in a car dealers? If not, how can you witness how people buy their cars?! :confused:

Marcusm wrote: »
    Because someone has to finance the car cost in its entirety, ie the car has to be paid for now.

Why?

Basically you're borrowing €20k (GFV) over 3 years, paying interest on said €20k (GFV), and then giving back the €20k (GFV). All the while you're paying for the depreciation.
    Pcp was developed in the 60's in the US.

It's not exactly a new product!

The US has also had student loans and sub-prime mortgages, both of which are ace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Why?

Basically you're borrowing €20k (GFV) over 3 years, paying interest on said €20k (GFV), and then giving back the €20k (GFV). All the while you're paying for the depreciation.

The US has also had student loans and sub-prime mortgages, both of which are ace!

Any time you borrow money commercially you pay interest and pay back the capital.

Who else pays for the GFV amount on day one?

Correct and right on the other types of Loans available in the US, however I pointed out where and when pcp was developed as there seems to be a question of "what will happen in 3 years time when these agreements mature".

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Any time you borrow money commercially you pay interest and pay back the capital.

Yeah, but the principal is always reducing.

This way, it's basically an interest only loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't finance a car in that way.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Agreed. I certainly wouldn't finance a car in that way.

Lads you clearly don't understand pcp car finance, or indeed interest and principle.

Lads you clearly don't understand pcp car finance, or indeed interest and principle.

Enlighten us clever clogs.

If I borrow €20k over 3 years, pay monthly repayments, and in 3 years still have to give back €20k, what else is it only interest only?

But that's incorrect.
    You're borrowing OTR Price - Deposit.
    Paying back repayments on (Borrowed amount - GMFV) + Interest(Borrowed amount)
    This then leaves you with the GMFV to pay at the end.

If the car is 40k and you pay 10k deposit with a 20k GMFV, you are borrowing 30k, paying payments on 10k and interest on the 30k, and left with 20k to pay at the end.

Did one ever borrowed 30k? One actually never got to own the asset, so technically she or he did not borrow any money but the asset itself. ;-)

Enlighten us clever clogs.

If I borrow €20k over 3 years, pay monthly repayments, and in 3 years still have to give back €20k, what else is it only interest only?

I'll use simple figures.

Buy a car worth €35,000
    Deposit €5,000
    GMFV €15,000
    Interest Rate: 3.0%
    Term: 36 months
    Cost of Credit: 1388.44
    Monthly Amount: €455.23
    Total amount financed: €30,000

Total amount of monthly payments: €16388.28
    GMFV: €15,000
    Deposit: €5,000
    Total amount: €36,388.28

Actual Value after 36 months: €18,500

So at the end of 36 months you owe the finance company €15,000.
    You can pay them that and own the car, hand it back or use the equity (€3,500) to start a new PCP.

If you give them €15,000 you will own a car worth €18,500. A car that you know since it was brand new.

It's the same as a hire purchase system with smaller monthly payments and a large final payment.

It suits some people and doesn't suit others. It is neither good or bad.

I have bought a car on PCP with 0% interest, so free money. I paid the smallest deposit possible to get the most free money.
    I will buy the car at the end of the 36 months and decide then what to do.

I did not trade at the beginning of the deal so I got the straight deal discount, €2,250 and I got 3 free services too.

My distance allowance was 12,000kms per year and after almost 12 months I already have 36,000kms done,
    but it's not an issue for me because I intend to buy the car at the end of the term.

I am very happy with my arrangement.

I have bought a car on PCP with 0% interest, so free money. I am very happy with my arrangement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain%27t_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

• Advertisement

Tell me where the "catch" is in my deal? I paid the same amount for the car as I would've if I had given them cash on day one.

Advertisement