Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCP finance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

mickdw wrote: »
    Whats all this uk stuff. This is Ireland.
    So you dont believe your passat will be worth more than 1300 above gfv at 3 years old? Do you do huge mileage or do you destroy your cars?
    Im talking trade in offer against a new vw, not price within the trade!
    Trading early might seem like a good idea but alot of people dont realise that they are after throwing their deposit away over 2 years instead of 3 years by going back early. It can make sense if there is good equity over and above amount owed being offered or if your model is soon to be obsolete but in the case of little equity being available, trading in early is lunacy.

The comparative in the UK market for that type for car would be similar.

Its very simple stuff. I borrowed an amount of money over 36 Months at 6% interest. I paid it off in 28 months and transferred to a 0% loan, saving myself €600 in interest. I didn't throw anything away. All this equity stuff is complete nonsense. PCP is a loan. You borrow money. You pay it back. If you pay it back early you save on the interest.

BTW, here's the specifics of the residual of the Mondeo after 28 months. The car was 31.1K list, discounted to 27K. I got 15K against a final figure of 13.5K ( there was an extra payment made before the final deal) so that is a residual of 55% over 28 Months. the final payment was 50%. so I got 5% over "GMFV". If you think you will get any more, you are delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dil999 wrote: »
    so I got 5% over "GMFV". If you think you will get any more, you are delusional.

Just on a mondeo or in general

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just on a mondeo or in general
    on that class of car, Mondeo, Passat, Avensis etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

on that class of car, Mondeo, Passat, Avensis etc.

Mondeo would suffer the highest depreciation in that class.

jca wrote: »
    Mondeo would suffer the highest depreciation in that class.

Not the case. Ford offer much higher discounts on the list prices, so the residuals seem lower as a % of list, but are more or less the same as a % of actual selling price. Have a look at the UK Volkswagen fleet comparison I posted earlier. The % residuals are lower than Ireland, but the comparisons between models are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There lies the snag in your argument.
    You say that mondeo fairs ok in terms of depreciation when judged against discounted sale price. Fair enough. The mondeo gfv is then a crazy high percentage of actual sale price. That is why you have no equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I wouldn’t want to drive an avensis for 15 years personally

Who said it’s cheap ? Anyone that thinks buying a new car is cheap is mad

But your argument isn’t against pcp it’s against buying new cars and the frivolity of it (in your mind )

No one should have drive a 15 yo Avensis, my only point is many arguments for buying a new car (reliability, tyres, warranty) are spurious.

We have two new cars and my wife's one is on finance (because it made sense at 0% of 60% over 24 mths...), they both were bought this year and replaced my 17 yo merc and her 11 yo Astra. I also run a 03 landcruiser and 92 merc so I have a broad view on things.

My complaint is that pcp is sold in a manner that to my mind obscures the true cost of buying a car. You can clearly see the costs and gave done your sums, but many don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Mrs lantus got 13% equity in trade for 171 skoda I think back in Jan. Less than I'd hoped but the rapid has a lower residual compared to the Octavia.

maidhc wrote:
    Incidentally the cheapest way to run a car I think is to buy new or very fresh for cash, maintain it well, and run it into retirement.

It's an ideal scenario. Family, long daily commute and the associated stresses of running a car that may break down or needs more regular maintenance can take its toll though. The needs of each person varies. And not everyone is a great driver that looks after cars.

Some can be well worn in short order and cared for not a bit. Kids wreck cars generally.

There lies the snag in your argument.
    You say that mondeo fairs ok in terms of depreciation when judged against discounted sale price. Fair enough. The mondeo gfv is then a crazy high percentage of actual sale price. That is why you have no equity.

No its 40% of actual selling price, exactly the same as all the others. actual selling price was 27000, GMFV (after 36 months) was 10800.

I don't know what you are trying to convince yourself of. I know exactly the figures, I have spend the last month researching this in great detail. I have compared the PCP across a number of different models in this class. I have spoken to people in the trade, and I have examined every resource available on trade value.

The bottom line is that PCP is a loan for a car. You pay a % up front. you pay off the remainder to 40% of the value of the vehicle over then next 3 years and then pay off the 40% in month 37, or hand the car back.

The so called "equity" in the car is an aside. In this class of car at the moment you will get around 4% to 5% over 40% as the trade value.

Here is another way to look at it. according to beepbeep.ie my old car is worth 20600 retail. work it backwards. €20600-15000 is €5600. VAT is 23% of that. Thats €1288. Preparation / warranty etc is probably about €1000, so dealers gross profit is €3312. that's a 22% margin. There is no main dealer operating at margins less than that.

• Advertisement

my mistake. i saw you final figure of 13.5k and mistook it as you gfv at 36 months which would have been 50 percent of actual sale price and 43 percent of retail as assumed this yo be the gfv ehen in fact it appear it was the outstanding amount at 28 months.
    I thought you had taken a deal where gfv was 50 percent at end of term. That would automatically result in zero equity.
    Im not trying to convince myself of anything. i dont have a pcp or a any car finance at the minute but i also have been keeping a keen eye on the vw audi side of things as they are into second wave of pcp deals now as they are selling them big time since 2014.
    people are seeing 4.5k equity on highline passats going back at end of term. of course some of that is discount etc but thats common to all car sales.
    People who bought golfs and passats with 15 percent deposits are working out pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Lantus wrote: »
    Mrs lantus got 13% equity in trade for 171 skoda I think back in Jan. Less than I'd hoped but the rapid has a lower residual compared to the Octavia.

If you only put down 10-15% the first time round then 13% equity is really good. She would have more or less rolled over into the new car for no money down and similar repayments... Perfect situation :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

GavMan wrote: »
    If you only put down 10-15% the first time round then 13% equity is really good. She would have more or less rolled over into the new car for no money down and similar repayments... Perfect situation :cool:

It doesn't matter the % you put down, gmv is usually 40% for Skoda's. Having 13% isn't bad depending on if the retail price of the new car went up but it's lower than I'd be expecting with an Octavia or Superb

GavMan wrote: »

It doesn't matter the % you put down, gmv is usually 40% for Skoda's. Having 13% isn't bad depending on if the retail price of the new car went up but it's lower than I'd be expecting with an Octavia or Superb

Deposit does matter for monthly payments into next deal!!!!

She was on 17 to 19 if I recall for initial deposit as they ran an offer for a free 1k voucher. So a little above the ideal scenario but we had no idea at the time how deposit would affect future monthlys in next deal.

There was a price increase in the new car.

The difference in the monthly could be accounted for by car inflation and the equity being less than the initial deposit.

The rapid isn't quite as desirable as the Octavia otherwise I'm sure we would of got more in equity. They more or less said this at the time.

Overall the increase was ok and manageable and not much (a cheap car is still cheap even when it goes up in price). You can easily see though how if you'd of dropped the max 30% deposit you'd be in brown trouser territory unless you fully understood what was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shan_14

PCP Q:

I'm one year into my PCP. Is there a way of restructuring the finance now into a Hire Purchase Agreement or am I stuck to the initial agreement?

Thanks in advance!

my mistake. i saw you final figure of 13.5k and mistook it as you gfv at 36 months which would have been 50 percent of actual sale price and 43 percent of retail as assumed this yo be the gfv ehen in fact it appear it was the outstanding amount at 28 months.
    I thought you had taken a deal where gfv was 50 percent at end of term. That would automatically result in zero equity.
    Im not trying to convince myself of anything. i dont have a pcp or a any car finance at the minute but i also have been keeping a keen eye on the vw audi side of things as they are into second wave of pcp deals now as they are selling them big time since 2014.
    people are seeing 4.5k equity on highline passats going back at end of term. of course some of that is discount etc but thats common to all car sales.
    People who bought golfs and passats with 15 percent deposits are working out pretty good.

If thats the case I am laughing. Unfortunately the garages go out of their way to confuse their discount with the trade in. I'll post again in 3 years and let you know how I get on.:)

Shan_14 wrote: »
    PCP Q:

I'm one year into my PCP. Is there a way of restructuring the finance now into a Hire Purchase Agreement or am I stuck to the initial agreement?

Thanks in advance!

You will get charged for restructuring. The PCP is a Hire Purchase arrangement. Do you intend to pay of early, or are you trying to spread the payments over a longer term?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shan_14

Thanks for reply. I suppose to spread the payments over 4/5 years and to own the car outright at the end. What is the penalty/charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭artheb

Thanks for reply. I suppose to spread the payments over 4/5 years and to own the car outright at the end. What is the penalty/charge?

I suggest to ring the financing bank which would give you the most accurate info.

• Advertisement

surely you just save a bit extra every month so that when you get to the end of year 3 you have a chunk to pay off the GMFV and then finance the remainder over 12-24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Advice please !

Looking at buying a 161 7 series at 70k.
    i have my own car worth 30k as trade in (paid in full)

Should i A, Borrow 40k as loan

B, Go the pcp route with approx deposit of 15k (and get 15k back
    from the dealer and pcp the rest)

C. Use some cash (8k) and borrow less

i would like to keep my monthly payments around the €500 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

blingrhino wrote: »
    Advice please !

Can you pcp a second hand bmw?

Advice please !

well option A doesnt work unless you want a 7 year loan, even at 0 interest 500 per month wont pay back 40k unless its a very long loan.

Option B with a 15k deposit on PCP will be closer to 1,000a month depending on the interest rate

If you put more money into the deposit to lower the monthly and you want to change after 3 years you will probably have to come up with some extra deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think main dealers are PCPing second hand ones upto a certain age but you will pay a handsome APR on it from them.

surely you just save a bit extra every month so that when you get to the end of year 3 you have a chunk to pay off the GMFV and then finance the remainder over 12-24 months.

Some of the finance companies will even finance the remainder over 3 years. this is probably the best way to go, rather than trying to restructure. I don't know what the restructuring charge would be.

Lantus wrote: »
    Deposit does matter for monthly payments into next deal!!!!

She was on 17 to 19 if I recall for initial deposit as they ran an offer for a free 1k voucher. So a little above the ideal scenario but we had no idea at the time how deposit would affect future monthlys in next deal.

There was a price increase in the new car.

The difference in the monthly could be accounted for by car inflation and the equity being less than the initial deposit.

The rapid isn't quite as desirable as the Octavia otherwise I'm sure we would of got more in equity. They more or less said this at the time.

Overall the increase was ok and manageable and not much (a cheap car is still cheap even when it goes up in price). You can easily see though how if you'd of dropped the max 30% deposit you'd be in brown trouser territory unless you fully understood what was going to happen.

Nothing you do in a current loan can have any impact on the repayments on a loan you have not taken out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Can you pcp a second hand bmw?

Yes you can - but only over a maximum of 36 months I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Advice please !

Given the rate that car will depreciate I'd wish you luck in paying €500 pm.

A 40k loan over 5 years is about 800pm from my memory. A 7 year old 7 series is a luxobarge worth very small money.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    Given the rate that car will depreciate I'd wish you luck in paying €500 pm.

A 40k loan over 5 years is about 800pm from my memory. A 7 year old 7 series is a luxobarge worth very small money.

a PCP with 15K deposit over 3 years will cost you 958 per month 5.9% 7.5K interest (based on 40% GMFV)
    a HP over 5 years for 40K will cost you 769 at 5.9% - 6.1K interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Advice please !

You are off to a very bad start. You are looking to finance €35,000 in depreciation over 3 years with €500 a month....

Even if you drop in your current car to reduce the outstanding, that payment is not sustainable long term to keep you in a €70K car.

If you are looking long term, then just borrow the difference (€40k?) over 5 years. But that will still be more than €500. (*edit* Just as dil999 said above)

If I were you I'd be budgeting between €900 - 1100 a month to ensure I am properly covering the costs of such a car.

I think if you can trade in 38 with car and cash and borrow 30k over 5 years will put you in and around 550 a month subject to interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Thanks lads,seems the dream is over !

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

So here is the position I'm in .152 skoda Octavia style 5,000 deposit 300 per month . Change for new one in Jan 342 per month.not a bad deal 0% finance makes sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Nedser101 wrote: »
    So here is the position I'm in .152 skoda Octavia style 5,000 deposit 300 per month . Change for new one in Jan 342 per month.not a bad deal 0% finance makes sense .

Besides the increased monthly payments are you putting in any extra cash? Will your original 300 pm deal be finished before starting the new 342 deal?

• Advertisement

Nedser101 wrote:

Sounds like a good roll over. Some increase for car inflation and without calculating your deposit was a touch over 15pc??

System not quite broken yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Right I just rolled over and I think I got a good deal, I posted here a week or two ago saying that I was a bit disappointed that my monthly had gone from €445 to €526 for my Highline Passat but I have just sealed the deal for €480 boom

My background is 151 Highline Passat estate 2.0l TDI 150bhp one of the first in the new shape, paid around the €38,000 and I came in with a deposit of €8000 (well they gave me that for an 8 year old smax with 190k km and a clutch and pressure plate that was about to blow) so it was around 20% deposit with an interest rate if 1.9%.

So I do around 2000km a month but at the time the VW lads said that if you are going again it shouldn't be a problem the difference between 60k priced car and some thing coming in at 70 shoulnt be that much and sure we can always talk.

So 2.5 very happy motoring years later (its a great car that highline passat) I was coming up to 56k so I said I may as well pop in and have a chat to see since I was coming near the limit. So he priced it all up for me and the settlement was around 18500 and he was going to give me 25K so keep at the same payment I would have to put €3000 towards the new one or else pay €526... which is a big increase and the misuses blew a fuse.

Reason was he said the new Passat estate is just over €40k nearly 2k+ increase with my spec. Anyway to cut a long story short since I expressed my interest VW began bombarding me with letters and emails etc with offers

So between the gig and the reals i get

€1000 deposit bonus
    €500 equipment bonus
    Free road tax for one year
    and 0% finance

Also they have a tech offer for €499 that give you loads of stuff. so added features my old highline doesn't have are

LED headlights with auto dim and high beam
    LED running lights
    SAT NAV
    Keyless entry
    Full digital speedo and rev counter (active display)
    Lane warning and assist (actively stops you from drifting into the next lane)
    Traffic sign recognition
    rear cameras
    Android and apple app connection thing
    and a few other things

So I have just come out now and have my new car on order for with no deposit just straight swap...I dropped the metallic paint for solid not for cost reasons but it was differnt and looked good. all the rest were boring shades of grey (although this is grey urano grey)I have Black Oak Brown that is by far the nicest colour and you dont see many around.

Anyway excuse the rant but I think I got a good offer, considering I now dont have to worry about the mileage for the next couple of months

Update on this, just picked up the Car this morning and I don't know how this happened but they reduced my payment again... down to €434pm so now I'm paying less than my first deal....

They said they adjusted my settlement and the few months of payments I made came off it as well (I dont know I just signed and ran out of there)

So after 2.5 years and putting up 65K km on the car I rolled it over and Im paying less and without handing over any additional money. Boom! that's a result.

The Car is also WAY better speced than my old model GPS, all LED headlights, motorized tail gate, lane departure, etc etc

For all you number crunchers here is the data

Retail Price 39,461
    extras 998
    Total 40,459
    Less discount -4,423
    Invoice Price 36,035

Less used vehicle
    Purchased 22,499

Less Finance
    Settlement 17,334

Sub Total 30,870

Total Payable 30,869

Trade IN value Allowed 26,924
    Less discount -4,423
    Purchase Price of Used 22,499
    Vehicle

Work that one out....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Update on this, just picked up the Car this morning and I don't know how this happened but they reduced my payment again... down to €434pm so now I'm paying less than my first deal....

They said they adjusted my settlement and the few months of payments I made came off it as well (I dont know I just signed and ran out of there)

So after 2.5 years and putting up 65K km on the car I rolled it over and Im paying less and without handing over any additional money. Boom! that's a result.

The Car is also WAY better speced than my old model GPS, all LED headlights, motorized tail gate, lane departure, etc etc

For all you number crunchers here is the data

Retail Price 39,461
    extras 998
    Total 40,459
    Less discount -4,423
    Invoice Price 36,035

Less used vehicle
    Purchased 22,499

Less Finance
    Settlement 17,334

Sub Total 30,870

Total Payable 30,869

Trade IN value Allowed 26,924
    Less discount -4,423
    Purchase Price of Used 22,499
    Vehicle

Work that one out....

So you have just entered into loan for 31K for a car and you have no idea of the details. The dealers love people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

So you have just entered into loan for 31K for a car and you have no idea of the details. The dealers love people like you.

I know enough that I just walked out with a another brand new car after two and half years with a lot higher spec and after going a lot over my agreed mileage and I'm paying less!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

You got out of the last deal with 5k equity. Thats ok i guess. So 5k deposit goes into the new car and im guessing the car with have a gfv of 15k or so meaning you need to pay 16k over 3 years.
    Seems ok.

• Advertisement

You got out of the last deal with 5k equity. Thats ok i guess. So 5k deposit goes into the new car and im guessing the car with have a gfv of 15k or so meaning you need to pay 16k over 3 years.
    Seems ok.

Seems ok.

I know enough that I just walked out with a another brand new car after two and half years with a lot higher spec and after going a lot over my agreed mileage and I'm paying less!

Well done you. :)

VW are doing 0% Finance on the highline models, thats probably where you are making the savings.

They are a great car, just bought the Saloon version and got the same updgrade/offers. I made the dealer work much harder for his money though :). Best of luck

Two things I learned, that might be useful, I eventually turned off the lane assist because if you are driving country roads it sometimes initially resists you turning the steering wheel, which can be a little disconcerting. Also the boot opening button on the key fob is slightly raised. If you keep your keys in your pocket it will accidentally press and you will almost certainly come out some morning, and your boot/tailgate will be wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Did you see a youranus grey before ordering it, or just a colour swatch or picture?
    Looks fine in pictures but I'm not at all a fan of it in the flesh - looks like someone forget to send it for the top coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

R.O.R wrote: »
    Did you see a youranus grey before ordering it, or just a colour swatch or picture?
    Looks fine in pictures but I'm not at all a fan of it in the flesh - looks like someone forget to send it for the top coat.

Have to agree. I wouldn't be looking to put the new car down, it sounds nice but that grey is a disaster of a colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

Have to agree. I wouldn't be looking to put the new car down, it sounds nice but that grey is a disaster of a colour.
    Surely there's a clue in the name? YourAnus

R.O.R wrote: »

There are some characters on this forum :rolleyes:

While I am not personally a huge fan of grey, I have seen the urano grey and it's fine as a colour. Its quite dark, and the chrome trim will offset it well on the estate. Best of luck with it.

While I am not personally a huge fan of grey, I have seen the urano grey and it's fine as a colour. Its quite dark, and the chrome trim will offset it well on the estate. Best of luck with it.

It's marmite colour. Personally I love it if the car has sporty trim and ideally black alloys, but on a trendine Golf with hubcaps no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Neighbour got 172 Honda civic in that dark grey with black trim and it looks very nice. And I personally hate silver cars.
    Cant really argue about the colour of the car, unless they buy new car and order colour that is easier to sell and not the one they actually like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Colour is a very particular thing. There's colours I hate but others like and vice versa, but I will never order a Urano Grey for a customer unless they have seen it in the flesh as it looks a lot different in real life to how it looks in pictures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement