Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot thai dipping sauce

Options
  • 08-01-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know what exactly is in this to save me having to try it a few times and maybe never getting it quite right.

It often came as an accompaniment to dishes in Thailand, it was practically a condiment out there.

Its very spicy, lots of bird eye chillies finely chopped in it. Chopped garlic also, and I think some sesame seeds. It had a vinegary taste and was dark in colour, so must have had some soya sauce in there. Maybe a little fish sauce too.

If anyone knows the dipping sauce I'm describing and has a recipe, would you mind posting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Its the top recipie i'd say. Loved it when i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know it as "Nam jim jaew". But the recipe for nam pla prik looks the same.

I think nam pla prik is simply fish sauce and chillis. Adding shallots, lime, palm sugar and tamarind (the vinegar flavour you mentioned) make it nam jim jaew

Advertisement