Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus

• 08-01-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

Direct flight Dublin to Orlando return €769.74 for 1 adult. (Late Aug- Early sept)
    Doesnt include baggage check in.

American Airlines Dublin to Orlando (Stop in london both ways) €498.85.

I cant figure out how it costs less to take the longer way to Orlando from Dublin using a different airline.

Have aer lingus always been ripping off the consumer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mikeym wrote: »
    Direct flight Dublin to Orlando return €769.74 for 1 adult. (Late Aug- Early sept)

I cant figure out how it costs less to take the longer way to Orlando from Dublin using a different airline.

Aer Lingus's pricing to Orlando always includes bags.

Many of their flights in late August/early September are completely fully booked already. Clearly American Airlines aren't. Pricing on airlines is always demand based. Many people going to Orlando would be travelling with kids and would not even consider a transfer flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Flight prices change almost daily depending on demand. Btw do you really want the hassle of going via London with terminal change, another 2/3 hours wait and then join the long long queue in customs in us.?

Big advantage of going via Dublin is the pre clearance on customs and border control. You land in USA and simply pick your bags up and go.

Btw 25th aug / 2 sept is 674 on aerlingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You're also comparing a direct flight to one with a layover.

Indirect flights are almost always cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mikeym wrote: »

The more annoying the route the cheaper it usually is.

Direct flights are usually always the most expensive.

Open-Jaw can sometimes be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not really a rip-off tbh. Airline pricings and schedules are a law unto themselves but it's not based on distance traveled - it's more to do with supply and demand, taxes (both domestic and international), hubs, routings and different airlines having a presence in different airports.

You also have to consider the non-stop flight to Orlando (different to direct flights) and most legacy carriers will charge a premium for the non-stop flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

BTW just as an example.

Flight from Amsterdam - US with KLM is more expensive than a Flight from Dusseldorf connecting in Amsterdam to the US with KLM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its a direct flight in the Summer on a bucket and spade route.

The way they do air fares is the earlier you buy the cheaper fare bucket you will get it, The tour groups would buy the majority of the seats on the plane as soon as they go on sale meaning if you want to buy you have to buy the more expensive fare class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

Yes Aer Lingus are a rip-off. I thought this was common knowledge. I see they are threatening strike action again which will close the airport. Aren't we lucky to have them. :rolleyes:

I never understood the Irish obsession with flying Aer Lingus when going abroad. Is it out of a sense of misplaced patriotism? You are spoiled for choice when it comes to flying trans-Atlantic from Dublin - Delta, US Airways, American Airlines. You may have to accept a short-layover depending on your final destination but hardly the end of the world.

Yes Aer Lingus are a rip-off. I thought this was common knowledge. I see they are threatening strike action again which will close the airport. Aren't we lucky to have them. :rolleyes:

You're misinformed on both counts there.

The airport will only close if the DAA staff strike. The DAA staff striking over the IAAS is Aer Lingus's fault how, exactly?
    I never understood the Irish obsession with flying Aer Lingus when going abroad. Is it out of a sense of misplaced patriotism? You are spoiled for choice when it comes to flying trans-Atlantic from Dublin - Delta, US Airways, American Airlines. You may have to accept a short-layover depending on your final destination but hardly the end of the world.

The fact that they are very often the cheapest would be one factor, another factor would be widebody vs. narrowbody (except for Toronto, obviously).

Describing transiting in a US airport as a "short layover" shows either a serious lack of knowledge of the process or an incredible sense of humour, I'm not sure which.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

MYOB wrote: »
    The airport will only close if the DAA staff strike. The DAA staff striking over the IAAS is Aer Lingus's fault how, exactly?
    From the Irish Times - 11 Feb
    The Minister was commenting after members of Siptu in Aer Lingus and in the Shannon Airport Authority voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action.
    Siptu members at the Dublin Airport Authority, who are also covered by the same Irish aviation workers pension scheme, voted for industrial action on Monday.
    MYOB wrote: »
    The fact that they are very often the cheapest would be one factor, another factor would be widebody vs. narrowbody (except for Toronto, obviously).
    Describing transiting in a US airport as a "short layover" shows either a serious lack of knowledge of the process or an incredible sense of humour, I'm not sure which.

This is simply false. On short-haul, Ryanair are cheaper than Aer Lingus 9 times out of 10. On North American routes, the American carriers are often cheaper. I'm not sure what universe you're living in. A quick google reveals thousands of reviews complaining about their rip-off prices. Don't get me wrong, they offer a decent product, but they charge an arm and a leg for it. Many of us also haven't forgotten when their monopoly in the 1980s on the DUB-LHR route made it the most expensive in the world per km.
    Regarding connecting in American airports - I have no time for drama queens who kick up a fuss for having to take off their shoes in security.

What's with the random, out of context quote?

Shannon Airport Authority and Dublin Airport Authority staff have voted to strike. What has this got to do with Aer Lingus?
    This is simply false. On short-haul, Ryanair are cheaper than Aer Lingus 9 times out of 10. On North American routes, the American carriers are often cheaper. I'm not sure what universe you're living in. A quick google reveals thousands of reviews complaining about their rip-off prices. Don't get me wrong, they offer a decent product, but they charge an arm and a leg for it. Many of us also haven't forgotten when their monopoly in the 1980s on the DUB-LHR route made it the most expensive in the world per km.

Any actual proof for your assertions there? Because they don't even begin to resemble what I've seen when I compare prices - something I still do every time. The Irish obsession that Ryanair are inherently cheap and be damned with checking actually scares me at times.

You'd have a hard time even remembering a monopoly that didn't even exist - DUB-LHR was served by three carriers - EI, BA, BD - all of which charged IATA fares.
    Regarding connecting in American airports - I have no time for drama queens who kick up a fuss for having to take off their shoes in security.

That wasn't even a consideration in what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Rather than starting a new thread I decided to add to this old one.
    Airlines (including Aer-Lingus and Ryanair) are definitely making a killing on flights at the moment.

I booked 3 return flights from Cork to Malaga last January (2015) for dates in August (flying out on a Thursday and returning on a Saturday) Total price for booking so early €484.74 , Ryanair were slightly cheaper at the time but only flew on Fridays and Sundays which didn't suit.

This year even with their big summer sale promotion the same flights cost €657.54 - That is a 35% increase on last years flight prices. Ryanair are again only slightly cheaper by but their flight times and dates don't suit.

One would assume that the huge slump in oil prices would have caused a drop flight prices but I figure the airlines are taking all this for themselves - Also the perceived boost in the economy coupled with the torrential weather means the airlines can now make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Raggaroo wrote: »
    One would assume that the huge slump in oil prices would have caused a drop flight prices but I figure the airlines are taking all this for themselves - Also the perceived boost in the economy coupled with the torrential weather means the airlines can now make a killing.

The boost in economy horrible weather you're talking about will lead to more people travelling. Therefore seats & flights become booked up quicker. Thus making any available seats on the plane more expensive. It's pretty simple supply & demand. It's nothing new.

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Also the perceived boost in the economy coupled with the torrential weather means the airlines can now make a killing.

The actual (not perceived) boost in the economy has allowed more people to book summer holidays. The crap weather has caused more people to book summer holidays.

You are looking at limited flights from a secondary airport - any increase in demand is going to cause an increase in fares purely due to the cheaper seats being sold.

Advertisement