Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping A Whippet Warm At Night

• 08-01-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

My problem is that our whippet keeps waking us in the middle of the night knocking on our bedroom door wanting us to cover him with his blanket presumably because he is cold. Once he has his blanket over him in his bed he settles down again until he stretches out at it comes off him.

I would be ok with moving his bed in to our room but my other half would kill me if I even suggest it.

We have tried knitting him a jumper to wear at night which he does wear without a problem but he still likes a blanket over him.

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get or how I can make a blanket tunnel with an opening that is kept open at one end so he can get in it himself and curl up but have enough room when he stretches out.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Would you not just get him a fleece whippet coat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Those pyjamas are so cute, but the tunnel bed looks it might be your solution. What about those beds that are for cats - like a little igloo - or this one is very cute:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_dens/dens/357628

You can also get heated dog beds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The thing about cat igloos is that they can be deceptively small. We got a snazzy top of the range one online and we had to cut the opening and make a lot of alterations to widen it to encourage our cats to go into it. Even the kitten doesn't want it. Money well spent:(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Thanks for the posts.

Those pyjamas look very cool. Would be so funny seeing the whole family and the dog in pjs in the morning. My wife thinks we treat him as a human to much as it is.

He really likes snuggling under a blanket though. The tunnels look the business will definitely give them a proper look.

The money would be worth it for a good nights sleep not disturbed by his gentle but very insistent tapping on the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I want photos if you get him a set of pyjamas :D

Snugglesafe heatpads might be another option http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_pads/129427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I fostered a greyhound for 2 weeks over Christmas and found that she felt the cold too. The best solution? A hot water bottle! Make sure you cover it with a blanket or two so that it doesn't burn her :o it should lays till morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ahhh the thought of him knocking on your bedroom door 'my blanky's slipped off can you tuck me up again please' bless him! Maybe its just as much a psychological thing with the blanket you know so pyjamas might not work (although the photos alone..!)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

He is like a baby at times really.

He can easily open every door in the house and does all day long.
    At night and its not cold he often opens the door and checks that we are still in bed , comes round for a head rub then heads back to bed but for some reason if he wants his blanket put back on he sits at the closed door at knocks.

strange lad to day the leas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ra0044 wrote: »
    He is like a baby at times really.

He can easily open every door in the house and does all day long.
    At night and its not cold he often opens the door and checks that we are still in bed , comes round for a head rub then heads back to bed but for some reason if he wants his blanket put back on he sits at the closed door at knocks.

strange lad to day the leas

The joyful weirdness of dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're handy with a needle and thread could you make an oversized terrier tunnel?? My terriers love them. They're not really well practised at getting in themselves but they have me trained to lift it for them :D

576709_10200771706355517_524174647_n.jpg

You can just about see Little Dude's nose sticking out :)

480632_10200787299505336_401841488_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Your whippet sounds so cute.

I saw these the other day in Heatons though they may be a bit small for whippet but worth a look.

http://www.heatonsstores.com/Product/Slipper-Dog-Bed-Pink/279128/1506080000

Equifleece also do jumpers for dogs they go over the head and the two front legs but the back legs are not covered. Worth a look too.

Advertisement