Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comtuter won't power up

Options
  • 08-01-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, not sure I'm posting in the right place or not! I've no doubt I'll be informed if it isn't but I'm having a computer issue. I helped build this computer circa 2007 and it has been idle with maybe 3/4 years. (not plugged in, just in storage) I plugged it in the other day and I had a fairly good feeling it wouldn't be that easy. The PSU crackled a little when I put in power cable. Sometimes the little isolator switch on the back of the PSU will light up for a second and go off, if I'm lucky it will light up continuously but when I press the on switch. the CPU fan, graphics cards fan will spool but cut out about 2 seconds afterwards. There's no burning or smoke and its not been left plugged in. I assume I'm dealing with a PSU issue, but thats where you lads come in!

SPEC:

MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    RAM: 2 x 512mb
    Intel Processor Think it was an early quad core pocessor (Can't remember model, sorry)
    2 x Hard Drive 80GB + 250GB
    Graphics: Geforce 7950gx2
    Power Supply: Atrix Extreme Power 80 Plus 800w

1. Does anyone have a fairly good idea what the problem is?
    2. If it is the power supply, would i get away with using a scavenged power supply from an old computer.
    3. Is it possible to link two lower wattage power supplys together to power it?

Help much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Either that or a simple power cable issue.

Try the cheapest fixes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did you try turning it off and on again bit like out of the IT crowd;)

Is it possible it was left in a damp or dusty place take it appart and check boards and fan areas for excess dust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Did you try turning it off and on again bit like out of the IT crowd;)

Is it possible it was left in a damp or dusty place take it appart and check boards and fan areas for excess dust etc.

+1 Static from dust! try some canned air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi meant to say whats a comtuter is this new:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Only messin I do understand well hope I do....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the delayed one.. Eventually got a can of air, had to take the end of a display can as there were none left.. (For a euro or two I think)ha Took out what was handy (i.e. GC, RAM etc.) and gave it a good blast. Still no joy though unfortunately. However I'm quite busy with other stuff at the minute so I hope to get a bit of time next weekend to have another go at it and give it a proper clean... If there are any other thoughts in the meantime, please do share!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement