Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Study Tips

• 08-01-2014 6:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

As we all settle back to school, it is 147 days to the Leaving Cert!! By now most people have earmarked the 6 subjects they will likely count while others are still dazed from TY.

While it's great to be able to plough through revision books and notes e.t.c. I find nothing beats some good old help from students in the same position.

I'll kick it off with some tips on a few of my fav. subjects.

:)Ag. Science
    At first glance the subject seems quite daunting but once you get into it, it's really straight forward. Similarly the questions they ask are easily manipulated for maximum return.
    Since they don't make you aware of exactly how many marks each part carries it can be quite difficult to know what is enough.
    Usually 2-4 pieces of info is sufficient.

Example: 2009 Q9 a.
    Q: Give a scientific reason for the growing of seed potatoes in specific regions in Ireland.
    A: In Ireland seed potatoes are predominantly grown in regions less prone to the spread of diseases due to climatic changes, such as Co. Donegal and Co. Mayo. These regions are warmer than the national average during key sprouting months of Jan. and Feb. The Atlantic Drift also decreases the chance of frost killing the seed potatoes. This process allows Irish potatoes to maintain a healthy status.

Each piece of info in italics would be awarded 4 marks each (4x4=12m)

Remember to write as much as you know, even if you think it's irrelevant. *No marks will be deducted for irrelevant material!

:oEnglish
    One of the subjects I haeve grown fond of. It allows you to express for yourself your opinion on English literature.

For poetry the following format always works for me regardless of what question you're asked.
    Example:
    "Emily Dickinson style in her work makes her poetry unique and interesting." Discuss.
    "The poetry of Dickinson examines serious themes in an ambiguous nature." Discuss.

Both can be answeres by the three T's (TTT) - Theme, Technique, Thoughts

Write a brief note of the theme in each poem highlighting their uniqueness.
    State and explain the techniques used by DIckinson and how they affect the poem and add to it's uniqueness. i.e. the dash -
    Finally write what you thought of the poem or how you interpreted it. Don't be afriad to critise an aspect of the poem if you feel you have a strong argument or feel, for example, you wanted an answer not a dash e.t.c.

This formula can be adapted to all poets and preparation of each poem beforehand is vital.

Here's an example using her poem "I heard a Fly buzz - when I died"

One of DIckinson's most unique and thought-provoking poems is 'I heard a Fly buzz.' The poem reflects Dickinson's deep interest in death. Few poet's have dealt with this all engrossing subject with such perfect control. She creates a very somber mood in this poem. Typical of Dickinson her style is epigrammical. Her use of the dash is interesting. Firstly it is used in the opening line to add dramatic effect as we await a response to her statement 'I heard a Fly buzz -.' They are also used to isolate '-and me-'. It gives us the impression that she feels alone as she awaits to be taken by 'the King.' She says 'I heard.... I willed.... when I died... '. This gices us the indication she has experienced or has anticipated this experience.Perhaps DIckinson is telling us that all that is certain in this world is disorder and disruption. There's a certain tease in the poem. I expected to find some pearl of wisdom in this poem at the end. I was rather disappointed that all I got was a dash! It is somewhat frustrating that a pesky fly has ruined it all. Truly no one attempts like Dickinson to examine and define human nature in such a unique fashion!
    (Each T is a different colour)

This formula can be adapted to all of Dickinsons poems and other poets, mostly Larkin, Kinsella and Yeats. Heaney is that bit trickier and can't really be answers with the three T's.

Everyone is welcome to publish tips for answering question on here as long as they are honest tips. Please provide an example where possible!

If anyone wants help answering a question post below or PM me.

I will put a new tip everyday. Happy Studying.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

Tip of the Day: 09/01/2014: Geography Essays

The key to Geography essays is to learn SRP's not an essay. Many of my classmates learn off reams of writing and then try to produce it again in an exam. It's a waste of time if it's irrelevant material and if your question doesn't come up marks will be deducted for coherence.

Below is a sample essays with SRP's marked in red.

The region I have studied is the Dublin Region. Transport and Tourism are the regions largest tertiary activities. Over 5 million tourists visit Dublin annually. They generate €1.5 billion annually for the local economy. They are attracted to attractions such as 'The Spire', 'Croke Park' and 'The GPO'. Tourism sector employs 200,000 people in the region. It is Europes 4th most visited Capital city. It is a year round industry. There has been heavy investment in marketing. 9% of the regions 1.2m people are employed in transport. Traffic Congestion is a severe problem. DUblin Port Tunnel has reduced heavy traffic. DART & LUAS were set-up as commuter trains. To cater for 15 million passengers, Dublin airport opened Terminal 2. M50 was built to allow traffic avoid the city. Dublin Bike Scheme has been introduced to encourage less use of cars.

This answer has 19 SRP's and would get 30/30. Took 10 minutes to write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

EliteC wrote: »

The key to Geography essays is to learn SRP's not an essay. Many of my classmates learn off reams of writing and then try to produce it again in an exam. It's a waste of time if it's irrelevant material and if your question doesn't come up marks will be deducted for coherence.

The region I have studied is the Dublin Region. Transport and Tourism are the regions largest tertiary activities. Over 5 million tourists visit Dublin annually. They generate €1.5 billion annually for the local economy. They are attracted to attractions such as 'The Spire', 'Croke Park' and 'The GPO'. Tourism sector employs 200,000 people in the region. It is Europes 4th most visited Capital city. It is a year round industry. There has been heavy investment in marketing. 9% of the regions 1.2m people are employed in transport. Traffic Congestion is a severe problem. DUblin Port Tunnel has reduced heavy traffic. DART & LUAS were set-up as commuter trains. To cater for 15 million passengers, Dublin airport opened Terminal 2. M50 was built to allow traffic avoid the city. Dublin Bike Scheme has been introduced to encourage less use of cars.

Not sure if theyre that generous in SRPS? Also only the option gets marked for coherence, not any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brady011

Hey,
    I am also doing the lc and I was wondering do you know what to do for the discussion in experiments when writing them up?? Also if you haven't grown a crop what could you do? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

Experiements- This is the formula I use: Apparatus Used, Method, Results, Conlcusion & Diagram

Not sure what you mean by growing a crop?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ForeverX

EliteC wrote: »

Not a hope you've got 19 SRPs there. You would not get 3 SRPs for naming 3 tourist attractions. In my opinion you would only get 1 SRP for naming all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Brady011

Thanks what I meant you know the section on crops for the projects what should do if I haven't grown them see my ag teacher said we should have grown potatoes ourselves at home and I didn't

Advertisement