Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice.. who to contact?

• 08-01-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a dog (Springer Spaniel) wandering around my house since about 3pm. It's really foggy here right now and it nearly got hit by a few cars in the last hour so I put it on a leash and have it out the back of my house now. There's obviously no details on its collar.

I'm in Louth and don't know what to do or who to call.

I tried the dog pound but it's only open from 9-11am and there doesn't seem to be an out of hours number.

Also tried the Louth County Council emergency line but they said they don't deal with dogs =/

I have even called the Gardai to see if they could offer any advice on what to do and they basically just said 'well we can't take it'

I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. Keeping it in my house isn't an option since I have a dog of my own and they wouldn't get on at all. I also don't have any space in the shed to put him for the night.

I'm at a loss as to what to do tbh. I really don't want to just let it wander the road when it's this foggy.

Any advice on who I could call or who may be able to do something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Fair play for helping the Springer. They are such daft dogs.

<snip> may be able to steer you if they can't help themselves. I encountered them via Facebook and they seem like a very sound and compassionate group of people.

Recommendations of rescue groups by PM only please: Dubl07, as it happens I've already PM'd the OP about the same rescue :-)
    Thanks
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Fair play for helping the Springer. They are such daft dogs.

<snip> may be able to steer you if they can't help themselves. I encountered them via Facebook and they seem like a very sound and compassionate group of people.

Recommendations of rescue groups by PM only please: Dubl07, as it happens I've already PM'd the OP about the same rescue :-)
    Thanks
    DBB

Cheers Dubl07. I've called them and left a message. Hopefully they can do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ooops, my apologies, DBB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If no luck with the rescues tonight call the gardaí back again and tell them it's running in traffic and going to cause an accident, they're bound to have an out of hours number for the dog warden. It's better than him spending the night outside dodging cars and potentially getting hit.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If no luck with the rescues tonight call the gardaí back again and tell them it's running in traffic and going to cause an accident, they're bound to have an out of hours number for the dog warden. It's better than him spending the night outside dodging cars and potentially getting hit.

I did say to the Garda on the phone that it had been on the road and was almost hit a few times, but she didn't seem to be in a position to do anything. I even asked is they had an emergency number for animal control and she said no =/

Surely there has to be some sort of emergency animal control like?! Anyway, I don't want to go on a rant about taxes and services tonight!

I cleared the shed out as best as I could and will put the dog in before I go to bed. Atm she's just sitting outside leashed and is happy as larry after a good feed. She hasn't barked once despite my own dog almost climbing the walls because he knows she's there :o

I'll take her to the pound before work in the morning.. it's just over the road so that's no problem. Hopefully she'll be chipped and the owner contacted, but there's still so many dogs that aren't chipped that I won't count on it just yet.

My bro called in and took a few pics and is gonna upload them to the various organisations that people suggested. Thanks to all for the PM's btw, they were really helpful and I wouldn't have been aware of some of the options before.

She's a really nice little dog and I would have felt awful just leaving her to roam; especially on such a foggy and cold night.

Here's a pic of her fwiw, not that it's likely that anyone here will know who she belongs to

cNsWSoZ.png

Thanks again for all the contacts and advice, it's much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Try the tips here too especially the rescue/charity link at the bottom ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I did say to the Garda on the phone that it had been on the road and was almost hit a few times, but she didn't seem to be in a position to do anything. I even asked is they had an emergency number for animal control and she said no =/

Surely there has to be some sort of emergency animal control like?! Anyway, I don't want to go on a rant about taxes and services tonight!

I cleared the shed out as best as I could and will put the dog in before I go to bed. Atm she's just sitting outside leashed and is happy as larry after a good feed. She hasn't barked once despite my own dog almost climbing the walls because he knows she's there :o

I'll take her to the pound before work in the morning.. it's just over the road so that's no problem. Hopefully she'll be chipped and the owner contacted, but there's still so many dogs that aren't chipped that I won't count on it just yet.

My bro called in and took a few pics and is gonna upload them to the various organisations that people suggested. Thanks to all for the PM's btw, they were really helpful and I wouldn't have been aware of some of the options before.

She's a really nice little dog and I would have felt awful just leaving her to roam; especially on such a foggy and cold night.

Here's a pic of her fwiw, not that it's likely that anyone here will know who she belongs to

cNsWSoZ.png

Thanks again for all the contacts and advice, it's much appreciated

PLEASE dont leave her in the pound, surrendered dogs can be PTS upon arrival, just get them to check if shes chipped etc then try and get her to a rescue etc..

Good one you OP. and yes spaniels are daft little fellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm on that rescues facebook page and they've posted up that the phone number you left is incorrect and they can't contact you? Just in case you didn't see it.:)

I'm on that rescues facebook page and they've posted up that the phone number you left is incorrect and they can't contact you? Just in case you didn't see it.

Yeah, someone else alerted me to that :o

I've been back on to them and have given the proper details, and someone has messaged them on FB on my behalf to say that the dog has a place to sleep tonight and it's not a priority to have it housed for the night.

I'm going to bring her to a vet in the morning and not the pound. If she can't be identified then I'll get back to DAR to make arrangements. I definitely will not surrender her to the pound in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Might be no harm to put a link in the Hunting section...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

This is probably a really really long shot
    But given you are in Louth
    Could it be Daisy?

www.facebook.com/MissingDukeDaisy

Hope this link is ok to post?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well remembered angelfire!
    Unfortunately, Daisy's face is almost entirely liver-coloured, whereas this lady has a fair bit of white on her face.
    Pity... Between Daisy and Duke the springers in Louth, and Snow and Dolly the English Setters in Slane, you'd wonder where these Gundogs end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

DBB wrote: »
    Well remembered angelfire!
    Unfortunately, Daisy's face is almost entirely liver-coloured, whereas this lady has a fair bit of white on her face.
    Pity... Between Daisy and Duke the springers in Louth, and Snow and Dolly the English Setters in Slane, you'd wonder where these Gundogs end up.
    Everytime I see liver and White springers I think of those two
    There are so many gun dogs going missing these days it's hard to keep track :(

Just wanted to say that the owner has been located and the dog returned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Excellent work, fair play to you... another happy ending!!!!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Well done you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Absolutely great news. Hope karma will reward you in 2014 :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Great stuff OP!
    How did the reunion come about?
    I'm always curious to know in these stories, was it the chip, was it a poster, was it word of mouth?

DBB wrote: »
    Great stuff OP!
    How did the reunion come about?
    I'm always curious to know in these stories, was it the chip, was it a poster, was it word of mouth?

It was completely by chance tbh. I had made a 3pm appointment to have the dog scanned for a chip because the vet was doing some call-outs this morning, so that didn't happen in the end.

My mam works in the local pharmacy and the owner of the dog was just in buying something and happened to ask her if she had seen a dog wandering about.. a springer spaniel! Mam thought your one was taking the piss or something, or that she already knew that I had the dog at my house, but the woman was genuinely just asking on the off-chance that they may have seen it passing the shop.

She called me from work and said that the owner was there with her and that she was giving her directions to my house. The lady was delighted to see the dog and vice-versa, and she really appreciated that I had taken it in for the night. First time it has ever wandered off, and she reckons it was well and truly lost.

So yeah, great ending! I had been dreading taking it to the vet in case it wasn't chipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lovely to read a happy ending. That dog was one of the lucky ones -both to be found, and having you to take care of her until her owner could be located. Your brownie-points-quota is reading 100% I reckon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement