Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Surge Protectors

• 08-01-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a 4 or 6 socket extension lead.
    I have also seen " Power surge protected " leads, from € 7/8 to € 25.00 +.
    It will power a pc, printer, back up drive, etc.

Are these any good ?
    Does price make a difference ?
    What would you buy / where /why ?

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've read mixed reviews on boards about peoples' experiences with socket boards with built-in surge protection. Some people have reported damage to equipment after a power surge and when they tried to claim under the 'one million euro protection cover', they met a brick wall.

In my case, it's not the surge protection that's the problem, it's the switch that should disable all of the sockets, the switch on the 6-8 socket models I've bought from IKEA have all jammed up and of course because it cost only €8 or so, I didn't hang on to the receipt. I'm currently using a LIDL 8-socket board with claimed surge protection.

If you want real surge protection, I'd buy a UPS. If your equipment is worth protecting and/or your power supply is prone to surges, it will be worth it.

Advertisement