Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Discount supermarket for Newbridge.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

with 80 car parking spaces, it has to be Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Or Iceland. The owners of Iceland uk bought out the Irish franchisee and is expecting to open up to 30 outlets this year.

Though reading it, it looks almost certain to be aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Iceland are rumoured to be going in to where Atlantic Homecare were.

ken wrote: »

Not a chance cos Dunnes won't allow it - it's also far too big. Iceland stores would be similar to lidl in size or smaller. I'd say the old m&s in Naas would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

sandin wrote: »
    Not a chance cos Dunnes won't allow it - it's also far too big. Iceland stores would be similar to lidl in size or smaller. I'd say the old m&s in Naas would be ideal.

No supermarket will go into that unit due to parking! Parking in naas is atrocious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Red Crow wrote: »
    No supermarket will go into that unit due to parking! Parking in naas is atrocious!

Iceland don't care about parking usually. Ballyfermot has maybe eight spaces. Finglas has about five marked as Iceland spaces and its officially pay at that, ILAC is entirely pay. Target audience is fairly down-market (saying that, I do shop there including having been today) and delivery is heavily pushed.

Their store size is very small on average, both the Irish stores and in the UK - the average modern big Centra/Londis would be similar floor area when you consider Iceland don't have deli counters and the bulk of the stock is in freezers. So the M&S unit is probably still too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Excellent, hopefully hear positive news about this soon

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Another listing ( 2nd page down) proposes another supermarket in the old Atlantic Homecare unit. It is to be split into two units one for supermarket and the other a retail unit ... lots of activity around this area if it all goes ahead

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/PlanningWeeklyListsforKildareLocalAuthorities/2014/February/Kildare/ApplicationsReceived/app%20recd%2020214.pdf

Off topic but interesting to see in that planning list that conlons sre moving their bmw dealership from rathangan to Toughers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Off topic but interesting to see in that planning list that conlons sre moving their bmw dealership from rathangan to Toughers

They own the car dealership in toughers already for secondhand cars, all non-BMW. I would be surprised they are moving the BMW brand as the Rathangan site has done well over the years.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    They own the car dealership in toughers already for secondhand cars, all non-BMW. I would be surprised they are moving the BMW brand as the Rathangan site has done well over the years.

Garage in Toughers is Conlons Peugeot, planning states BMW and site notice is outside the premises.

Probably moving Peugeot to Rathangan.

ken wrote: »

looks like you could be right. Unit being split into 2 and seems Dunnes don'y ahve any say as its a different scheme - though i assume Dunnes will object!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Garage in Toughers is Conlons Peugeot, planning states BMW and site notice is outside the premises.

Probably moving Peugeot to Rathangan.

Correct

MotorMike wrote: »
    Correct

what's my prize? :P

The planning permission for the store at the atlantic homecare site is to be decided next week so we will see what will happen there. I Wonder if Dunnes will lodge any objection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco made an "observation", no meat to it; as did some random bloke from Kerry, almost identical in content. That's all that's been scanned so far though, there may be others.

Well the development at the Atlantic Homecare site got the go ahead
    so we will have to wait and see which store will spring up there.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/PlanningWeeklyListsforKildareLocalAuthorities/2014/July/ApplicationsGranted/Granted%2010714.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Curtmount Properties (aka Aldi) has just received planning permission in Edward Street, Newbridge.

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/PlanningAppDetails.aspx?fullFileNumber=06a-131041

So thats both discount stores . So Aldi and Iceland..or is there any other supermarkets that could fit the Atlantic Homecare unit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I assumed it was going to be Aldi a while ago, somebody 'corrected' me by saying that it was going to Supervalu, as if they were 100% sure. I wouldn't have thought so, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

So are there two permissions granted in Newbridge for supermarkets or just one? Any confirmation on what either could be? Aldi or SuperValu would be great

Two.. One between the credit union and Topaz and the other is in the Atlantic Homecare unit. Supervalu would make sense for the atlantic homecare unit. It also states that another retailer will be in the block.
    And by the sounds of it both Aldi and Supervalu. Nothing confirmed as far as I know, but another poster pointed out curtmount properties have something to do with Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Curtmount Properties (aka Aldi) has just received planning permission in Edward Street, Newbridge.

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/PlanningAppDetails.aspx?fullFileNumber=06a-131041

I think this is Aldi too, base on the wording of the application.
    The store front & signage are described exactly the same on the application for Aldi in Athy. Aldi are actually named as the applicant for this one.
    http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/Enquiry.aspx?fullFileNumber=06a-131041

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I'll throw another name into the mix - Maxima from lithuania!

Not as crazy as it seems. According to irish times they were underbidders for superquinn and are meant to be behind the redevelopment of shankill sc in dublin.

somehow i doubt if a company their size (500+stores) would just open a single store?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

delahuntv wrote: »
    I'll throw another name into the mix - Maxima from lithuania!

Not as crazy as it seems. According to irish times they were underbidders for superquinn and are meant to be behind the redevelopment of shankill sc in dublin.

somehow i doubt if a company their size (500+stores) would just open a single store?

It's Aldi alright, they also used the Curtmount name when they applied for the Kildare Town branch.

See reference 071211 on the Kildare Planning site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

NedNew2 wrote: »
    It's Aldi alright, they also used the Curtmount name when they applied for the Kildare Town branch.

See reference 071211 on the Kildare Planning site.

I'm talking about the former Atlantic site where permission has been granted for a foodstore. - Too big for Iceland, I just can't see Supervalu going there - so leftfield guess is Maxima.

Or Dunnes could be going temporarily / permanently and raising the current location to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

delahuntv wrote: »
    I'm talking about the former Atlantic site where permission has been granted for a foodstore. - Too big for Iceland, I just can't see Supervalu going there - so leftfield guess is Maxima.

Or Dunnes could be going temporarily / permanently and raising the current location to the ground.

I think Dunnes should think about moving...that whole centre is just dead now, with half the stores closed and the other half (mostly) being used by Dunnes themselves. The place feels disjointed and empty

Word around the campfire is that they upped the rent of the retail units in order to flush them out. Post Office now in tesco and rumours that cards and things will be closed or is already closed. Perhaps they plan a major rebuild. I know before the arse fell out of the economy there was plans for a major rebuild of the whole Newbridge SC in order to compete with Whitewater (Obviously not on a whitewater scale) but nonetheless something more significant than what currently exists.

So I've heard somewhere or read somewhere that the old Atlantic Home care unit might be taken over by Homestore and more.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Atlantic site is 100% new Supervalu planning to open August.

Advertisement