Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

Getting ready to duck :P

What's with joggers and local jogging/running clubs using the purpose built cycle tracks as their own private running tracks from beyond Charlesland to Shoreline?

I have had some give out to me for being in their way with one purposely knock off the side of me. Where would you like me to go folks?

I'm sorry jogging folk, I will not risk my life by not using the dedicated lanes...

Not all are the same, there are a few that move over and greet with a hello, smile or nod.

I see that one of the clubs has spray painted the footpath with yellow permanent paint with distance markers!? Bit of a cheek?
    In fairness when the Kings of Greystones boys done it at the south beach car park and at the archway under the train line to the beach at the zebra crossing, they probably thought what the hell, they got away with defacing public property why can't we!?

This has turned into a bit of a rant, wasn't meant too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

First time I think I have ever agreed with anything you have said :P
    You are far better behaved than me - I want to trip them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I don't see any problem with them using the cyclepath. I will be investing in a bell for my bike though (or a fog horn for those listen to music with earphones). That'll ensure they shift out of the way.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I would genuinely never equate cyclists with cycle paths as they so rarely use them. A quick trip over to the cycling forum would back this up. Couple that with the fact that there are so few cyclists on that route anyway, I can understand why joggers would use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

DD9090 wrote: »
    Getting ready to duck :P

What's with joggers and local jogging/running clubs using the purpose built cycle tracks as their own private running tracks from beyond Charlesland to Shoreline?

I have had some give out to me for being in their way with one purposely knock off the side of me. Where would you like me to go folks?

I'm sorry jogging folk, I will not risk my life by not using the dedicated lanes...

Not all are the same, there are a few that move over and greet with a hello, smile or nod.

I see that one of the clubs has spray painted the footpath with yellow permanent paint with distance markers!? Bit of a cheek?
    In fairness when the Kings of Greystones boys done it at the south beach car park and at the archway under the train line to the beach at the zebra crossing, they probably thought what the hell, they got away with defacing public property why can't we!?

This has turned into a bit of a rant, wasn't meant too!

I can completely understand why joggers use them, I myself have used them many times while out jogging (well trying to jog), the reason is they are new flat and evened out properly. Prior to this the paths were all lumpy and uneven , not good to jog on so i would use the road, again not a good idea. With one exception when i see a bike coming or another jogger / walker I move over make room etc, I dont just continue jogging away. its called having consideration.

BUT with all that said those bloody running clubs drive me nuts for a another reason, not that they use these lanes BUT the run 5 people wide, they DONT make any effort to move in when meeting on coming people, so as a result I dont move over for them ...

I walk my dog along the sea front most nights and on two certain nights a week there are hoards of runners (which is great to see in one way) BUT IMO they nver move over run 4 / 5 a breast chatting away as they run.

TWO ABREAST is plenty... come on runners have a little consideration for others please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Okay, use it when empty and give way to cyclists, I'm not going to argue with that, it seems fair. However, this is not the case.

I cycled from the DART station yesterday, jogger jogging towards me, we had a stand off, I didn't give in. Jogger (dramatically) dives out of the way at the last second. He calls me a fu#king @sshole?

Why? He was in the bike lane and expected me to move over onto the path in front of young children. Not a hope mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

DD9090 wrote: »
    Okay, use it when empty and give way to cyclists, I'm not going to argue with that, it seems fair. However, this is not the case.

I cycled from the DART station yesterday, jogger jogging towards me, we had a stand off, I didn't give in. Jogger (dramatically) dives out of the way at the last second. He calls me a fu#king @sshole?

Why? He was in the bike lane and expected me to move over onto the path in front of young children. Not a hope mate.

He an idiot I suspect, plus a tad rude.

I totally agree with you, people using cycle lanes should give way to cyclists..

you should get an annoying bell or horn? and blow it when people dont / wont move... embarrse them it may work :)

But the again why should you if everybody just followed simple rules :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

Relax , get on with your cycle, use your bell, if you dont have one get one and ignore the ignorant !. I cycle that way all the time and joggers usually move when hearing the bell, the only problem is people wearing headphones but thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

I don't have a prob with people jogging in the cycle lane, but I definitely don't want joggers giving me daggers looks when I give a gentle tinkle on my high nelly to warn of my approach. Fair is fair - don't expect cyclists to risk life and limb by cycling on a dual carriageway that trucks, cars and motorcyclists are using to try to break the land speed record.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

astrofluff wrote: »
    I don't see any problem with them using the cyclepath..

:confused:
    sure why not just run in the middle of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Cause that's where the cyclists are.

• Advertisement

All in context Cookie - the idea being that we have bells on our bikes to warn them when they are on the cycle path. They'll know to move then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

All in context Cookie - the idea being that we have bells on our bikes to warn them when they are on the cycle path. They'll know to move then.

IME at least 50% of joggers have headphones on, and at least 50% of cyclists don't have bells (though serious/fast cyclists would be using the road anyway).

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Nobody wins unfortunately.

IME - in my experience?? That's a new abrrev. for me.

technically bells on bikes are illegal so you can't be doing that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Since when?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry, meant add this point earlier: runing on tarmac is a lot easier on the joints than on concrete. Hence why many joggers run on the cycle tracks. I'm sure most joggers would agree with me in this. And perhaps cyclists can understand why they're there when the footpath is free?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

And most of the cyclists that I know all tell me that the road is better to cycle on than the cycle tracks apparently.

Solution? Cars should drive on the footpath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Bit of general common courtesy, no harm jogging in lane as long as you move for a cyclist.

But there's a problem also, more apparent during summer of people cycling side by side on the road.

Causes obstruction to drivers and a danger to themselves too.

But cop on to some people doesn't exist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Causes an obstruction to drivers? I suppose it's too much to ask to wait until the way is clear and to simply overtake. Cyclists are allowed to travel two abreast. At least you can overtake them, which can't be said if you come across a tractor, bus, or the occasional OAP on a country road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Plastik wrote: »
    Cyclists are allowed to travel two abreast.

From rules of the road
    • Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.
    • Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic.

From rules of the road
    • Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.
    • Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic.

Those are RSA "best practise" guidelines. They're not the Rules of the Road. And since then the RSA now run ads on TV which advise that cyclists may travel side-by-side and to be both aware and patient when you encounter them. If you have just pulled that from their website then they need to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Causes an obstruction to drivers? I suppose it's too much to ask to wait until the way is clear and to simply overtake. Cyclists are allowed to travel two abreast. At least you can overtake them, which can't be said if you come across a tractor, bus, or the occasional OAP on a country road.

Glaring omissions from that list of other road users, usually going about their day to day business, but not travelling at the 'required speed' would be trucks and learners....don't forget them..must be inclusive..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Those are RSA "best practise" guidelines. They're not the Rules of the Road. And since then the RSA now run ads on TV which advise that cyclists may travel side-by-side and to be both aware and patient when you encounter them. If you have just pulled that from their website then they need to update.

My quote above is from the Rules of the Road.
    Another quote from the same page referencing my first quote-
    The word must is printed in red.

"Road Safety Authority
    The table below sets down particular road traffic rules on cycling which you must obey. "

Is there anything in "The Rules of The Road" on the legality of a bell on a bike?

Rules of the road is important, but done to death on here and probably on the other dedicated cycling forum. I'll try not to back seat mod this thread, except that a mod is the OP, and this thread is about the use of purpose built cycle tracks by local athletics clubs and their disregard for Damo's progress on his bike! :pac:

So what have we learned? Nobody is willing to contact the clubs to air their grievances!

http://www.greystonesac.com/contact-us/
    http://www.kilcooleac.com/kac_info.htm
    http://www.drfc.ie/contact.html

My quote above is from the Rules of the Road.
    Another quote from the same page referencing my first quote-
    The word must is printed in red.

"Road Safety Authority
    The table below sets down particular road traffic rules on cycling which you must obey. "

Actually, you'll find that you're wrong. There are quite a few things in the rules of the road which you can download that are now out of date. Also included in the "must" category is that cyclists must use a cycle path where provided. In fact it was repealed in October 2012 by the Minister for Transport and it's now not compulsory apart from cycle tracks provided in very particular circumstances.

The common misunderstanding that there is a law against cycling two abreast is simply that, a misunderstanding. Unfortunately the sight of cyclists seems to generate a lot of anger for a certain class of motorist. You can't but feel sorry for people like the ones that give you a punishment pass [often within inches], pass on the horn, pass with the window open shouting, pass and immediately brake their vehicle to try and slow the group down. What goes through some peoples logic defies belief. Young, old, male, female it makes no difference. You come across a lot of people on a daily basis and some people are just assholes. And there are a lot of them out there.

Regarding bells, no idea. I think in the UK there is a law that all bikes sold must be sold with a bell attached. To the best of we don't have a similar one. Certainly never heard the bells are illegal line before.

To take it back on topic, that runners think that tarmac is much easier on the joints that concrete must be simply a placebo effect. The difference in impact must be so, so minute that it can barely be perceptible!

Quote cut from website.
    "it is not only a legal requirement but also common sense to have a bell on your bike"
    http://www.bikeweek.ie/cycling-tips
    Cycling tip no.2

WikiHow wrote: »
    No they are not.
    Since when?

Since 24mph (approx 38kph) is easily achievable on a flat road bells are illegal under the RTA (at least on racers, if not MTBs and hybrids)
    Audible warning device.

28. (1) Every vehicle (other than a pedestrian-controlled vehicle) shall be fitted with an audible warning device complying with the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, capable of giving sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vehicle.

(2) The device referred to in sub-article (1) of this article shall not consist of—

(a) a gong, siren or other strident-toned device except in the case of a vehicle used for fire brigade, ambulance or police purposes, or

(b) a bell, except in the case of—

(i) a vehicle used for fire brigade, ambulance or police purposes, or

(ii) a bicycle—

I. the engine of which does not exceed 50 cubic centimetres in cylinder capacity as calculated in accordance with article 27 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations, 1958 ( S.I. No. 13 of 1958 ) and

II. which is incapable of exceeding 24 miles per hour on a dry level road under normal atmospheric conditions
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0190.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@Cookie Monster - I think that might refer to mechanically propelled bicycles as opposed to the human-powered kind as it refers to engine size of less than 50cc AND capable of less than 24 mph.

ie a regular bicycle can use a bell as a warning device and so can a mechanically propelled bicycle capable of less than 24mph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement