Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There is also this: (same link as previous)
    Pedal cycles.

93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

Since they don't detail what constructed or adapted means it's also allowable to state all racer type bikes are exempt from the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

There is also this: (same link as previous)

Since they don't detail what constructed or adapted means it's also allowable to state all racer type bikes are exempt from the rule.
    You are grasping at straws here now, just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

have been reading this thread with interest.
    I'm not in the running club but I run that route five times a week,someone asked earlier why don't the joggers stay off the cycle lane.
    Answer is it's a bit easier on the legs that the concrete.

I agree that the running club jogging 4 or 5 abreast would be annoying.

However I am jogging on my own,i will continue to use the cycle lanes and I would also like to know what the legal situation would be if there was a collision,i think i deserve a jogging lane just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Do cyclists have a problem using the path when there is someone jogging on the cycle lane and there are not many people around?

WikiHow wrote: »
    You are grasping at straws here now, just let it go.
    not really, it's not like anyone has bells or it ever get enforced anyway. Visit the cycling forum and throw it out for discussion if you like...
    Either way I'm not going to put a bell on my road bike.
    delta214 wrote: »
    Do cyclists have a problem using the path when there is someone jogging on the cycle lane and there are not many people around?

yeah, it's illegal. Personally I try my up-most to avoid cycle lanes anyway and use the roads instead which are generally safer, cleaner and have better priority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

yeah, it's illegal. Personally I try my up-most to avoid cycle lanes anyway and use the roads instead which are generally safer, cleaner and have better priority

How did you make that one out? I agree with the rest but safer to cycle with tonnes of metal seems to be of the wall? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think most cyclists that spend a lot of time on the bike - bike as a sport/fitness as opposed to just to get around, would far prefer to be on the road than on the path.

Once you are on a path you cede all rights of way. In the vast majority of cases everything that crosses the cycle path tends to have a right of way over you. Side roads, estate entrances, house entrances, roundabouts. You are far more likely to have a car pull out in front of you, or turn in across you if you are on a cycle lane and in that respect, staying on the road, having motorists see you and treat you like another road user is much safer.

Of course, I would agree that there's an inherent risk in sharing road space with vehicles that are much bigger, faster, heavier, harder than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

DD9090 wrote: »
    How did you make that one out? I agree with the rest but safer to cycle with tonnes of metal seems to be of the wall? :confused:
    I believe it's illegal to cycle on the footpath.

fat-tony wrote: »

I'm very much aware of that. I was talking about bike lanes.

Cookie Monster was answering a question about cycling on the footpath, not cycle lanes -
    Originally Posted by delta214 viewpost.gif

• Advertisement

Cookie Monster was answering a question about cycling on the footpath, not cycle lanes -

???

not really, it's not like anyone has bells or it ever get enforced anyway. Visit the cycling forum and throw it out for discussion if you like...
    Either way I'm not going to put a bell on my road bike.

Why would i entertain the idea of discussing whether you shoul put a bell on your bike or not, i think you are old enough to make that decision yourself.

DD9090 wrote: »

less chance of pedestrians wandering in front of you, less rubbish and glass, better surfaces, less obstacles like bins, poles bus stops, gates ets, better priorities at junctions so safer, less chance of getting run over by cars pulling out of driveways or turning left across the lane without bothering to look.

Spend any amount of time cycling and you'll quickly realise how poorly maintained and dangerous a lot of cycle lanes are and why so many cyclists avoid them.
    WikiHow wrote: »
    Why would i entertain the idea of discussing whether you shoul put a bell on your bike or not, i think you are old enough to make that decision yourself.
    yet you want to argue the toss that they are a legal requirement when they clearly are not...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

less chance of pedestrians wandering in front of you, less rubbish and glass, better surfaces, less obstacles like bins, poles bus stops, gates ets, better priorities at junctions so safer, less chance of getting run over by cars pulling out of driveways or turning left across the lane without bothering to look.

Spend any amount of time cycling and you'll quickly realise how poorly maintained and dangerous a lot of cycle lanes are and why so many cyclists avoid them.

yet you want to argue the toss that they are a legal requirement when they clearly are not...:confused:

anyhow - I'm waking along and I hear a Ring Ring Ring behind me - no worries, I turn and wave apologetically for being in the way or I wave thanks for letting me know your coming though.
    Or
    On the other hand I either get clipped by an aggressive cyclist as he pushes by or I maybe I am 'advised' to get out the F'ing way or more probably other aggressive behavior/abuse after the cyclist has passed me (a few seconds ago I was minding my own business enjoying the views of the sea/planning a birthday party etc) - thanks for making my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

that may be true, but when a lane is there cycling two abreast on the road is a bit daft, Of course I slow down but single file on a busy road would be using cop on.

LEIN wrote: »
    ???

Identity crisis DD9090 - er LEIN :confused:

Your reply to @Cookie_Monster was misinterpreted by me as its construction led me to infer that you thought that cycling on the path was not illegal :o

Now let us draw a veil over this - ok?

You are the one who said bells are illegal on bicycles not me.

Identity crisis DD9090 - er LEIN :confused:

Your reply to @Cookie_Monster was misinterpreted by me as its construction led me to infer that you thought that cycling on the path was not illegal :o

Now let us draw a veil over this - ok?

Agreed :)

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Saw a jogger change from the right bicycle lane to the left bicycle lane at the last minute.

The bike had passed me by ringing the bell to let the jogger know he was coming but jogger had headphones on so obviously didn't hear. Nothing serious by the looks of it, I think the handlebars may have caught her in the ribs, but he had braked and swerved and hit the rail so not at speed. No idea why the jogger wouldn't run on the empty footpath.

Ridiculous having bicycle lanes if cyclists can't cycle in them. They're being forced on to the road by inconsiderate pedestrians, prams, joggers etc. and then we get upset when we're driving.

Same thing down by the harbour in front of St David's where the clowns in Wicklow County Council decided to waste money on cycle lanes going nowhere, used mainly for prams, skaters, mobility scooter and pedestrians/joggers. Who puts these clowns in position to make such stupid decisions? Cyclist are now on a narrower road and cars can't pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Looks like the jogger was at fault here going by your commentary. Headphone wearing on ALL road users should be banned.

Honestly! wrote: »
    Saw a jogger change from the right bicycle lane to the left bicycle lane at the last minute.

The bike had passed me by ringing the bell to let the jogger know he was coming but jogger had headphones on so obviously didn't hear. Nothing serious by the looks of it, I think the handlebars may have caught her in the ribs, but he had braked and swerved and hit the rail so not at speed. No idea why the jogger wouldn't run on the empty footpath.

Ridiculous having bicycle lanes if cyclists can't cycle in them. They're being forced on to the road by inconsiderate pedestrians, prams, joggers etc. and then we get upset when we're driving.

Same thing down by the harbour in front of St David's where the clowns in Wicklow County Council decided to waste money on cycle lanes going nowhere, used mainly for prams, skaters, mobility scooter and pedestrians/joggers. Who puts these clowns in position to make such stupid decisions? Cyclist are now on a narrower road and cars can't pass!

This annoys me so much. They don't care and won't move even if they do see a cyclist coming never mind the headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

They don't care and won't move even if they do see a cyclist coming never mind the headphones.

By "they" you mean all joggers/runners? Sounds like a complete generalisation to me.

There's a lot less impact on your joints by running on the cycling lane rather than the concrete, so that's why most people do it. Personally, when I run I try to keep on the cycling track but I don't wear earphones and I most definitely yield to cyclists (I'll move over onto the path until the cycling lane is clear). As a cyclist I occasionally have to overtake people too, but it's not overly common-place and as often as not it's students walking in the cycling lane, kids on scooters, etc. and not just runners/joggers.

In the case above I agree that the jogger was at fault but as a cyclist I would also argue that a collision could have been avoided if the cyclist had slowed down earlier. Not everyone is going to hear a bell - think of people with hearing disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Just to clarfy this a little bit.

If I'm cycling with my kids I use the cycle lane. If I'm on my own out for a propper cycle I'll use the road.
    Reason being, the speed i'm going to hit on my own would make it dangerous for anyone else using that space. We all know its a popular road for mums with prams and toddlers, and you never know what one of the sprogs is going to do.

I presume most cyclists would do the same, i'm seperating the commuter / family spin from a training ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I cycle on the track because I'm a very new cyclist and haven't mastered the skill yet :D And though I feel like i'm going 100mph i'm probably crawling along. I also run on the cycling track with headphones in. I run on the edge of the track and stay running in the same side (no swaying) and hope cyclists can see me if coming from behind. I wear super bright clothing. (hi-viz etc) If a cyclist approaches me I get out of the way. I think we can all share the path. And when I am cycling on the track there are plenty of people walking on the track. Not just runners. And some give way some don't. I just hope my bad cycling gives them enough warning :)

The cycling track is much easier on the body. I think its great that people in Greystones are so active. Sad to hear there was an accident recently, hopefully everyone can be careful and it can stay an isolated incident.

By "they" you mean all joggers/runners? Sounds like a complete generalisation to me.

There's a lot less impact on your joints by running on the cycling lane rather than the concrete, so that's why most people do it. Personally, when I run I try to keep on the cycling track but I don't wear earphones and I most definitely yield to cyclists (I'll move over onto the path until the cycling lane is clear). As a cyclist I occasionally have to overtake people too, but it's not overly common-place and as often as not it's students walking in the cycling lane, kids on scooters, etc. and not just runners/joggers.

In the case above I agree that the jogger was at fault but as a cyclist I would also argue that a collision could have been avoided if the cyclist had slowed down earlier. Not everyone is going to hear a bell - think of people with hearing disabilities.

Fair enough, nearly all in my case.

If you're so worried about joints should be jogging or running? Maybe jog on the on the grass Verge on soft ground?

In all fairness, I don't mind sharing but it needs to see work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

This annoys me so much. They don't care and won't move even if they do see a cyclist coming never mind the headphones.

I run a lot around Charlesland,in this case the jogger was in the wrong.
    However, cyclists coming on here giving out about joggers is not on.
    Cyclists can use the cycling lane,the path beside it,the road etc but the runners are not allowed in the cycle lane it seems.
    Imo if you have cycle lanes you should have running/walking lanes.
    I will continue to use the cycle lane as i run as it's a bit softer that concrete on the legs.
    I think headphones on a cyclist or runner is a recipe for disaster but not a lot can be done about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We are in Oz at the moment, and woe betide anyone who walks in the cycle lane, they are the domain of cyclists and that is it. I don't understand why people walk or run in them. The clue is very clearly in the name.

I run a lot around Charlesland,in this case the jogger was in the wrong.
    However, cyclists coming on here giving out about joggers is not on.
    Cyclists can use the cycling lane,the path beside it,the road etc but the runners are not allowed in the cycle lane it seems.
    Imo if you have cycle lanes you should have running/walking lanes.
    I will continue to use the cycle lane as i run as it's a bit softer that concrete on the legs.
    I think headphones on a cyclist or runner is a recipe for disaster but not a lot can be done about this.

I've said it so many times before, I've no issue sharing, but some (maybe your good self after the above quote) believe why should I and force cyclists onto the footpath into the path of children and dog walkers.

If the truth be told, it's the attitude like yours that causes problems.

• Advertisement

Threads merged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement