Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I've no issue in sharing the cycle lanes with joggers, hell I used to be one myself.
    The only thing I'd expect is some common sense
    > don't wear headphones, many bikes are quite silent, especially those coming from behind. You'd be amazed at how many people ignore bells/calls for watch out or stop, turn around and stare at you as you head towards them. Chances are if you are hearing the bell it is almost too late and the cyclist will have had to slow down.
    > courtesy, just as a driver on the road I don't want to meet a bunch of cyclists intentionally preventing me from passing safely, on the cycle path I don't want to meet a bunch of people stretched across the track preventing me passing safely.

I've seen some horrendous videos of cowboy cyclists intentionally "taking out" joggers/pedestrians. All that does is create a gap or an elitist view - a bit like those surfers that guard their spots to the point of madness - personally I would like to take their boards and smash them but only if the law permitted it, which it doesn't.

Most of the time when I call out to pedestrians / joggers I tend to force a cheery note to my voice, I might be frustrated at having to slow again but a laugh with whoever you meet goes a lot further and is more likely to result in good learned behaviour than a scream and a rant. Who knows, the jogger of today could be the cyclist of tomorrow - just takes one dodgy knee / hip... As someone else above noted - if you are on for a seriously fast cycle use the road, don't need to keep stopping each time another minor road intersects this way too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I run a lot around Charlesland,in this case the jogger was in the wrong.
    However, cyclists coming on here giving out about joggers is not on.
    Cyclists can use the cycling lane,the path beside it,the road etc but the runners are not allowed in the cycle lane it seems.
    Imo if you have cycle lanes you should have running/walking lanes.
    I will continue to use the cycle lane as i run as it's a bit softer that concrete on the legs.
    I think headphones on a cyclist or runner is a recipe for disaster but not a lot can be done about this.

Thats ok but don't whinge and moan if you get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I cycle a lot around Greystones and while most people will move out of your way some just will not. I have often been heading straight for someone and they can see me and still won't move or just barely. They always seem to be the "serious" type jogger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Thats ok but don't whinge and moan if you get hurt.

why?you still have a duty of care,if I see a cyclist coming towards me I move,otherwise I'm staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

why?you still have a duty of care,if I see a cyclist coming towards me I move,otherwise I'm staying there.

That includes you too and jogging in a space designated for cycling, you are neglecting your duty of care to yourself, cyclists and general pedestrians.

Also, some cyclists can hit high speeds in those lanes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I run a lot around Charlesland,in this case the jogger was in the wrong.
    However, cyclists coming on here giving out about joggers is not on.
    Cyclists can use the cycling lane,the path beside it,the road etc but the runners are not allowed in the cycle lane it seems.
    Imo if you have cycle lanes you should have running/walking lanes.
    I will continue to use the cycle lane as i run as it's a bit softer that concrete on the legs.
    I think headphones on a cyclist or runner is a recipe for disaster but not a lot can be done about this.

We do have walking lanes, its called a path. The foot path as its also known is for pedestrian traffic (includes runners), the cycle lane is for cycle based traffic. See, we dont need an additional walking lane beside the walking lane.;)

LEIN wrote: »
    That includes you too and jogging in a space designated for cycling, you are neglecting your duty of care to yourself, cyclists and general pedestrians.

Also, some cyclists can hit high speeds in those lanes....

at some stage they need to used by runners,walkers,dogs etc.Legally if it's proved that you were in the wrong when cycling and injuring a runner the fact that they were in the CL won't matter a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

at some stage they need to used by runners,walkers,dogs etc.Legally if it's proved that you were in the wrong when cycling and injuring a runner the fact that they were in the CL won't matter a jot.

Right so.

I give up....

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    We do have walking lanes, its called a path. The foot path as its also known is for pedestrian traffic (includes runners), the cycle lane is for cycle based traffic. See, we dont need an additional walking lane beside the walking lane.;)
    well in that cast stay off the feckin road where there is a cycle lane available.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

No, most cycle lanes are not suitable for training in , you are too close to pedestrian traffic for it to be safe. For recreational or commuter cycling, I agree, the cycle lane should be used where one is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

well in that cast stay off the feckin road where there is a cycle lane available.

After demanding to use the cycle lane for jogging or dog walking, totally ignorant of the fact that it is a "cycle lane" Williams then tells cyclists to "stay off the road" AND use the cycle lane...that he insists on jogging in despite a "FOOTPATH" being available! :rolleyes:

You have as much of a valid argument for your "right" to run on the road. Please do that.

If I'm cycling from now on, I'll be on the road. Drivers who are also joggers and dog walkers can only blame their own ignorance for forcing cyclists on to the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

astrofluff wrote: »
    Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Nobody wins unfortunately.

IME - in my experience?? That's a new abrrev. for me.

Damned if you do...what? Obey the rules? i.e. foot traffic on the footpath, bicycle traffic on the cycle path and road traffic on the roads. When these joggers get into Greystones they jog on the footpaths, they should do the same through Charlesland.

Absolute nonsense to suggest they have the "right" to jog in cycle lanes that are purpose built for cycling though, worse again are the irresponsible parents who push prams and allow their toddlers on to cycle lanes on scooters,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Did I say they had a 'right'? I think I said I didn't mind them using the cycle path so that's my own personal view. And please don't preach the rules to me as I am normally the one with that job :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We are just going around in circles here.
    This thread has run its course.
    If someone has something new to add feel free to PM one of the mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement