Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin-london-kuala lumpur-brisbane

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi I am on a 1 way flight to Brisbane at the end of January.

I'm just wondering has anybody flown this route before or plan on using it?

Dublin -> London is with Aer Lingus and the following flight is with Malaysian Airlines. kuala lumpur - Brisbane.

Does anyone know if once my bag is checked in at Dublin Airport, will it then be sent straight to Brisbane without me having to collect it at airports etc.? p.s. i rang the booking company but they could not give me a straight answer! I found out I have a 30 kg allowance but I am hoping i wont have to take off at the different airports!

Thanks, Jim.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

you will have to re-check it at heathrow due to the terminal change. Once you check it at heathrow, it goes all the way to Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ozjim

Thanks. I wont be checking one in so as my flight leaves Dublin at 07.40 and arrives 09.10 am in LHR, then my flight leaves terminal 4 lhr at 10.50 am for Malaysia but i will be landing in terminal 1 from Dublin. I think it would leave it too tight to wait on a bag to come out of the hold and then get to terminal 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

ozjim wrote: »
    Thanks. I wont be checking one in so as my flight leaves Dublin at 07.40 and arrives 09.10 am in LHR, then my flight leaves terminal 4 lhr at 10.50 am for Malaysia but i will be landing in terminal 1 from Dublin. I think it would leave it too tight to wait on a bag to come out of the hold and then get to terminal 4!

Get yourself on an earlier flight into Heathrow. Aer lingus flight at 0640.

sawfish wrote: »
    Get yourself on an earlier flight into Heathrow. Aer lingus flight at 0640.

the flight itinerary is issued as one ticket so if i do not get that flight the ticket is void?i think. i will ring budget air tomorrow and see, its a good idea if it can be done!

the flight itinerary is issued as one ticket so if i do not get that flight the ticket is void?i think. i will ring budget air tomorrow and see, its a good idea if it can be done!

Yeah. Explain your situation you should be able to change it hopefully they dont try charge you

• Advertisement

ye hopefully not!!but i would not hold my breath.good idea anyway, i will ring them tomorrow. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wait, a third party company booked you in flights from Dublin to Brisbane and you believe you'll need to collect your bags in Heathrow and checkin with Malaysia airlines in a different terminal thus may not have the time to do so?

If this is the case then it's a cock up by the third party company so if they request you pay any extra i'd be fighting my case.

irishmover wrote: »
    Wait, a third party company booked you in flights from Dublin to Brisbane and you believe you'll need to collect your bags in Heathrow and checkin with Malaysia airlines in a different terminal thus may not have the time to do so?

If this is the case then it's a cock up by the third party company so if they request you pay any extra i'd be fighting my case.

Too right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

If they are on the one ticket I think you should be ok. Got this from the Aer Lingus website :
    Aer Lingus will through-check baggage as a courtesy onto any carrier that have a baggage agreement in place, upon presentation of documentation of the itinerary showing Aer Lingus and partner carrier flights on the same ticket.This includes the following airlines: American Airlines, Air France, Air India, Alaska Airlines, Finnair, British Airways, Air China, China Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Emirates, Etihad, Gulf Air, Iberia, Japan Airlines, KLM, Kenya Airways, Kuwait Airways, Malev, Malaysian, Martin Air, Northwest, Austrian Airlines, Pakistan Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, South African Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airlines, United Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, US Airways, Virgin Atlantic and JetBlue Airways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I flew Dublin/Heathrow/KL/Perth, checked bags in at Dublin and collected them in Perth. I had nothing important in them but if I did I'd be inclined to check in bags in Heathrow too to be sure they get pass that bottleneck.

• Advertisement

I contacted Budget Air and they said I can check a bag weighing up to 30 kg in at Dublin Airport and collect it at Brisbane.

Hmm I also emailed Malaysia airlines and they have replied saying that I have to take the bag off at heathrow and check in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If your whole ticket is with Malaysia Airlines (ie budget air didn't purchase them as seperate tickets), then it is MA responsibility to ensure minimum connection times are met and if you don't make a connection, they will put you on the next available flight.

You can ask at Dublin if they can check your bags the whole way through but even if they do I doubt the bags will make it to Brisbane the same time as you.

This is why I never connect through London. Amsterdam or UAE only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I recently flew DUB-FRA-KUL-MEL and then MEL-KUL-LHR-DUB

If it is all on one ticket then your luggage will definataly be checked all the way through to Perth from DUB. There is no need to collect your luggage and re check in LHR. You will also have the full 30kg, even though the first flighht is with EI.

The day i flew out of DUB was the day the phone lines or whatever went down at LHR causeing massive delays for flights going over UK airspace. My flight was over an hour late leaving DUB and i only had a 2 hr connection in FRA to start with. EI and FRA ground staff were very good and both I and my luggage made the connecting flight. Coming back through LHR i had a 2hr stopover connecting T4 to T1 and luggage made it no worries. IMHO you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If it's all one booking then yes, they can send them all the way.

However, make sure to check that this is being done by check in at Dublin Airport. The person I got this time last year didn't know they could do it and had to ring Malaysian to confirm. Once she did though it was all good and I got my bags in Perth.

mel.b wrote: »
    Coming back through LHR i had a 2hr stopover connecting T4 to T1 and luggage made it no worries. IMHO you'll be fine.

IIRC T5 is the one LHR terminal where you may need to recheck your bag. Ie if you flight is into T1-T4 and out of T5 or vice versa, you may need to recheck your bags cause they are so far away from each other.

Ok so here is the update!
    I rang budget air back today and told them that i had contacted malaysia airlines and explained that they had said that my checked baggage must be collected and checked in again at LHR. the customer services agent said "Yes your bag must be taken off at LHR and re-checked"! very confusing stuff.
    He also said that if there is a delay in getting my flight due to the baggage collection that malaysia would put me on another flight.

I am really thinking of just bringing on a ruck sack type bag and having it in the over head cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Are you on one ticket all the way to BRisbane or two seperate tickets - one to London and then london to Brisbane?

If you are on one ticket it will be checked all the way though - just ask the staff at dublin to do this. You'll see that they put the tag on your bag that will say LHR, KUL, BNE so you can be sure it will go through.

As mentioned, i did this route (albit to MEL) just last month and it was all booked through.

Hi mel, Yes it is all on one ticket Dub-LHR w/ aer lingus and LHR-KUL w/ malaysia and KUL-BRISBANE w/ malaysia

I am really thinking of just bringing on a ruck sack type bag and having it in the over head cabin.

This will not work - trust me! Aer Lingus are really cracking down on carry-on. Unless your rucksack is school bag size, they won't let it on.

They checked everyone's bags when I flew home recently and the last 40 or so people getting on the plane were forced to have their hand luggage checked at the gate because the flight was just too full. They had to pick it up off the belt and it was the last to come through even after all the checked bags.

• Advertisement

Yes it can fairly be put down to school size, I think this is the best option, I don't have a lot to bring anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I've done that route no need to collect bag for me anyway. Bag checked all the way through, had to pick up Malaysian boarding passes in Heathrow flight connections though.

ye its hard to get a straight answer through a 3rd party. i will go direct to the main airline next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

If it's issued as one ticket you'll be grand, I went Dublin, London, KL and Perth. When I landed in Heathrow I got off the back of the plane and their was a bus waiting that brings you to a bus terminal, you stay their for a few mins and then get another bus from their to the terminal that your next flight is going to, once off the bus Malaysian Airlines check in desk is right in front of you, check in and wait about to board, I had an hour and 30 mins from arriving in Heathrow to my next flight which was loads, I strolled about the airport, had a few smokes and charged my phone and laptop. Checked my bag into Dublin airport and I collected it in Perth, should be for the same for when you land

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I have flown out of Dublin many times to connect at LHR (or elsewhere) to an intercontinental flight. I have never had to reclaim and recheck my bags at an intermediate stop - it was always checked all the way through.

As it happens, my onward flight has never been with Malaysian, but if (as appears in post #10) Aer Lingus are saying that they will check through to Malaysian on the same basis as they do to other Airlines, you should be fine. If you want reassurance ring Aer Lingus and check that the information quote in post #10 is still current.

Advertisement