Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure series bike.

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering do people have a seperate bike for these events or does just changing the tyres on a road bike suffice. I have noticed that some bike routes in some events are on trails. Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Hi just wondering do people have a seperate bike for these events or does just changing the tyres on a road bike suffice. I have noticed that some bike routes in some events are on trails. Thks

If the event says "off road" usually a mountain bike is required. If it doesn't a road bike with the usual tyres will do. If its on road but shabby road then changing to fatter tires on your roadie will do.

If the event is mostly on road but has a section of pure trail, you will need a mtb.

What race have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Thks for reply shotgunmcos. I hope to do achill roar, Killarney, sea2summit again, and a few more I haven't picked, can't say I've seen any of them say 'off road' but they have said trails. What do other people do? With a race with trail and road bike parts what do u chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

it's nearly always a roadbike for these races. enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

The event websites are rarely clear on this issue.

I suggest emailing them directly and asking if it's suitable for a roadie or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

achill roar and sea to summit both on road bikes , you may or may not want to put puncture-resistant tyres on your bike, just to reduce the chances of having to fix a puncture but the road surfaces in both are fine. i dont know the killarney route , but ive watched the video on youtube and the majority are on road bikes too..
    gaelforce, rough diamond and race to glory are grand for road bikes too
    the only one ive seen that makes a point of saying to use mountain bikes is the connemara adventure challenge in leenane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Killarney is almost all road too and a road bike will definitely do you there. Only a couple of short tracks that are loose chippings. +1 on the puncture resistant tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Most tyres are puncture resistant if you just put in enough PSI. Soft tyres on gravel road or loose chippings is just asking for one

Advertisement