Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Office - Windows 8

• 08-01-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Im trying to install open or libre office on a HP pavilion. 1ghz, 4GB Ram windows 8 64 bit.

Every time I try the installer it says ' this app can't run on your pc'

I've tried to run as admin and install from cmd line..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The prophet dotcom

T-K-O wrote: »
    Im trying to install open or libre office on a HP pavilion. 1ghz, 4GB Ram windows 8 64 bit.

Every time I try the installer it says ' this app can't run on your pc'

I've tried to run as admin and install from cmd line..

Any ideas?

This might help

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Cheers for the reply, I have searched their forums but found no solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Have you tried this? Running Open Office on 64-bit based systems requires a 32-bit JVM.

http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

windows 8 wont let me install java.. I have tried several versions. I will advise the owner to purchase the student version of office.

Thanks guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

windows 8 wont let me install java.. I have tried several versions. I will advise the owner to purchase the student version of office.

Thanks guys
    Don't forget the student version can't be used commercially

Haven't looked into the whole windows 8/8.1 thing for OO but in general

java isn't needed for OO/LO , only some features use it, check the install options

compatibility mode

virtual machine in seamless mode

portable app version
    https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

• Advertisement

Don't forget the student version can't be used commercially

Haven't looked into the whole windows 8/8.1 thing for OO but in general

java isn't needed for OO/LO , only some features use it, check the install options

compatibility mode

virtual machine in seamless mode

portable app version
    https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

I have search through a lot of forums online and java was mentioned on a few occasions. I tried to install java just rule it out.. alas W8 doesn't like that either

The user in question is a student but thanks for the heads up!

Maybe try installing it via www.ninite.com - might work. Select OpenOffice or LibreOffice and run the installer.

Karsini wrote: »
    Maybe try installing it via www.ninite.com - might work. Select OpenOffice or LibreOffice and run the installer.

Tried it but thanks for the suggestion. Needless to say this experience has not made me fond of W8

Tried it but thanks for the suggestion. Needless to say this experience has not made me fond of W8

I'm not so sure it's a Windows 8 issue. I'm using LibreOffice on Windows 8 without any problems. Sounds like it's being hard blocked for some reason, the system might need to be refreshed or reinstalled.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm not so sure it's a Windows 8 issue. I'm using LibreOffice on Windows 8 without any problems. Sounds like it's being hard blocked for some reason, the system might need to be refreshed or reinstalled.

The laptop was a Xmas gift but you're probably right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It could be that the laptop isn't powerful enough for office software. The laptop is pretty much the least powerful laptop available anywhere. I'm surprised it is able to run windows with a 1 ghz processor. Most phones are more powerful than that laptop.

GarIT wrote: »
    It could be that the laptop isn't powerful enough for office software. The laptop is pretty much the least powerful laptop available anywhere. I'm surprised it is able to run windows with a 1 ghz processor. Most phones are more powerful than that laptop.

But it does run windows 8 - considering the power required for that - open office should be fine.

But it does run windows 8 - considering the power required for that - open office should be fine.

That's not how it works, it has to run windows and office, not just the office software on its own. Was talking to someone with a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, they sent it back to PC world and was told the laptop was designed for using the internet and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it was even the same laptop, it's a nightmare apparently. The AMD E1 processor isn't it? Officially the slowest processor on the market out slowing its nearest competitor by almost 50%. It is the least powerful of AMD's "economical power saver range".

That's not how it works, it has to run windows and office, not just the office software on its own. Was talking to someone with a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, they sent it back to PC world and was told the laptop was designed for using the internet and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it was even the same laptop, it's a nightmare apparently. The AMD E1 processor isn't it? Officially the slowest processor on the market out slowing its nearest competitor by almost 50%. It is the least powerful of AMD's "economical power saver range".

I dont have the laptop here with me so I'm not quite sure of the model. I would be surprised if that is the case. If it is a lack of power I would at least expect the install to complete

I dont have the laptop here with me so I'm not quite sure of the model. I would be surprised if that is the case. If it is a lack of power I would at least expect the install to complete

It's telling you that the app can't install which can sometimes mean that the laptop doesn't have the specs to run it. Most good software will check the specs during the install. If its the E1 processor my money would be on that.

Another problem could be the 64 bit windows. That processor is supposed to only run 32 bit windows but to use 4gb of ram you need 64 bit windows.

It's telling you that the app can't install which can sometimes mean that the laptop doesn't have the specs to run it. Most good software will check the specs during the install. If its the E1 processor my money would be on that.

I got the same error while trying to install Java :confused: Ill check the processor.

It could be crazy security policies too. Do the installs start or just give the error in the first few seconds?

It could be crazy security policies too. Do the installs start or just give the error in the first few seconds?

I get a pop up asking if I want to install, click yes and then error - I've disabled the anti-virus and any 'smart' windows 8 feature I could find

With the error first I'd guess its a specs issue, its not the RT version of windows is it? Can you install anything? Try Firefox maybe.

With the error first I'd guess its a specs issue, its not the RT version of windows is it? Can you install anything? Try Firefox maybe.

Definitely not the RT version, ill try firefox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can you install any applications? If not it might be some security setting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it was a chromebook then maybe they'd have a point

I'd argue you need a much higher spec laptop to use the internet than to do wordprocessing. There's no way you'd browse using a 0.012GHz 286 but it could run a graphical word processor.

if it's windows then it should run OO ,

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/system-requirements/
    The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on a Windows system are as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8;
    Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system recommended);
    256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
    Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
    1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors.

Administrator rights are needed for the installation process. It is a recommended best practice to back-up your system and data before you remove or install software.

For certain features of the software - but not most - Java is required. Java is notably required for Base.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Java works fine on Windows 8/8.1. In fact only the other day I set up that Revenue Online Service (ROS) sh!te for someone on 8.1. This needs Java as it runs a security Java applet it requires for certificate validation, they also use the "Offline" application (Java based). There has been a cross platform security alert relating to java recently, 36 vulnerabilities I think it is so maybe you have an over cautious security program blocking it's install as a result?

Nick

Advertisement