Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I am moving to Cork in mid Feb with my partner & daughter (2 years old) and looking for a place to live in Cork City suburbs. I will be working in Hollyhill and would like to have a max of 30 minutes commute. We are hoping to find somewhere that is good for families and friendly with various activities to become involved in as we'll naturally want to meet new people etc. I have been told Glanmire is an ideal place.

anyone having any ideas on locations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Hi HooperCurran,

Yes, Glanmire and nearby Glounthaune would be ideal on that score. Bishopstown would be too - south of the river (Hollyhill is north) but it's still pretty straightforward to get to your work from there, just a short drive before the bridge that you cross to go up there (I take it it's a certain fruit-named electronics company :pac:).
    Blarney/Tower are very handy for Hollyhill also - suburban/countryside; "rurban".

Shanakiel is really nice too - walking distance from Hollyhill. Although probably quite expensive.

Ballincollig isn't too near Hollyhill but the east end of it would still only be a 30-minute drive.

One thing: All the areas I've mentioned, while none of them are OTT affluent (apart from one-off bits of some of them) they wouldn't be the cheapest either.

Go with north and west Cork city - these would be the most straightforward for getting to work. Silverheights in Mayfield, and Ballyvolane are other places that have just popped into my head.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HooperCurran

Thats great thanks for the information & yes its one of the 5 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Just live in Hollyhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I'd suggest blarney or tower only 10-12 mins away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

soundsham wrote: »
    I'd suggest blarney or tower only 10-12 mins away
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

My brother lives in Grange (near Kinsale road roundabout) & works in 'úll' :)
    Says he has little difficulty getting there in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

yenom wrote: »
    Just live in Hollyhill.
    I wouldn't advise it OP. Not the best of areas to be bringing up a family.

I'd second Bishopstown or Glasheen, would be no more than a 15-20 minute drive in the morning even with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Ballincollig is convenient enough for Hollyhill via Carrigrohane, Lee Road & Clogheen, no need to go anywhere near city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FiveSive

I think Glanmire is lovely, my sister and her family live there, schools are good there and she really likes her neighbours. Its near city centre and the tunnel.. and it will be a short commute for you to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

yenom wrote: »
    Just live in Hollyhill.

Hollyhill should not be your first choice.
    Blarney/Glanmire/Douglas (as others have suggested).

Maybe drive around these areas and see what you think...leave it til after 5pm

Good Luck with your move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Well parts of HollyHill are alright, the parts towards Blarney Road. I suppose somewhere more close to Sundays Well would be ideal.

Advertisement