Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Marathon 2014

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone doing the Paris Marathon Aer Lingus have great prices to Paris I just booked return ticket for 6th April weekend total cost €106 :) Straight to CDG, none of that Ryanair - Bouvais nonsense.

I entered the race a few month ago as I have family living near the Start/Finish but did not consider at the time that most of my training would have to be done in the dark damp winter evenings. Training going OK so far but have not started any long runs yet. Anyone else running Paris this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I entered but will be travelling from the UK. Live over here these days with work and will take the Eurostar, but it's pretty pricey.

I'm in the same boat in regards to training in the dark & wet evenings but luckily enough I'll get a lot done during extended lunch breaks and will do weekend runs in daylight hours. I've my half marthon route planned along with my final 21/22 miler. Slightly disappointed very few half marathons are on at this time of year, would have liked to enter one or two leading up to Paris but its not to worry I suppose.

Not done a whole lot of training to be honest, easing my way back into it as this will be my second marathon. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

Flight booked thanks for flight sale info. First marathon, training not going great at all but will stick to the plan.

Putting no pressure on myself if training doesn't work out at least its a nice city to spend a few days with the other half.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

LiamMcC wrote: »
    Anyone else running Paris this year?

Kenenisa Bekele, according to L'Equipe today. Enjoy your smackdown with the great man!

Booked my accommodation last night €50 a night for some apartment room. At least I can make my own breakfast on the morning of the race. Need to get my flights or eurostar sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

This is one of my favourite marathons, so jealous!! Have a great time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I have signed up for this, my first marathon. Bit behind on training following injuries and illness the last few months, but a very good week or so with 60+ miles in the last 8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

If anyone is still thinking about this, there's only a few hundred places left now, so will probably sell out in the next few days. Best of luck in the training for everyone who has already entered!

Less than 500 places left, book early this week if your intending on entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Good luck everyone running this. It's a great marathon, I ran it last year. If I wasnt heavily pregnant I would be running it again this year for sure! Fantastic route & conditions. Support was better than I anticipated too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hopefully we get the weather. Self and a mate have signed up to this. Training beginning to ramp up and long runs starting to take shape.

Everything booked at this stage - accommodation, flights and marathon. When is everybody flying in/out? Think we're in the Friday morning, and then taking a few days and heading home on the Tuesday, as I'm sure we'll be sore afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

May be of interest to you guys.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201401130330.html

All places gone for Paris at his stage, did many more sign up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Paris was my first marathon last year. Can't praise it enough!

The crowds were really encouraging and you're never short of a snack along the way, the organisers gave out raisins, sugar cubes and orange slices as well as the standard water and energy drinks.

And just as I was about to cry on the tunnels by the Seine (the toughest part), the Eiffel tower appeared ahead of me. Magnifique!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Booked up and running myself. First mazza on foreign soil. Super excited!

Had my first proper outdoor run at the weekend in a half marathon, I got round in 90 minutes.

Everything up to this point has been on the treadmill, running outdoors in the week isn't an option so there's only weekends however with the six nations and other sport interests that can still be difficult. This will continue for most of February with hopefully a few outdoor runs at some point. Got a 20 mile race in the beginning of March which should hopefully set me up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Had my first proper outdoor run at the weekend in a half marathon, I got round in 90 minutes.

Everything up to this point has been on the treadmill, running outdoors in the week isn't an option so there's only weekends however with the six nations and other sport interests that can still be difficult. This will continue for most of February with hopefully a few outdoor runs at some point. Got a 20 mile race in the beginning of March which should hopefully set me up nicely.

Whereabouts is your 20mile race?

Wouldn't mind doing that,

Did my first lsr on Sunday. Clontarf to Sutton and back. Only good weather we've had for near 2 weeks so glad I got out that day. Otherwise it's been lots of treadmill work also!

iancairns wrote: »
    Whereabouts is your 20mile race?

Wouldn't mind doing that,

Did my first lsr on Sunday. Clontarf to Sutton and back. Only good weather we've had for near 2 weeks so glad I got out that day. Otherwise it's been lots of treadmill work also!

Its in the UK so probably wouldn't suit you.

Yeah Sunday was lovely in fairness. I know a lot of proper runners (I'm more of a fun runner!) hate when you say you're training for a marathon on a treadmill but I've little or no other option!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Two Friends and myself are doing the race. Training going well so far. 4 longish runs in 15-16-17-18. Feeling good and upping the miles.
    Quite like this time of year, wrap up well and a head torch and your made up.

Hopefully hit 20m this Friday.

Really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

Been out of action for 2 weeks due to pulled calf muscle. Was hoping to get back out tonight but not in that weather. Training not going well I will be playing catch up from now on. One more glitch and the Paris marathon will be in severe jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

I'm out
    Paris marathon isn't going to happen, pulled calf muscle followed by knee problems probably IT band. Training for this marathon has been nothing short of a disaster one injury followed by another. At least the decision has now been made. Good luck to everyone else running Paris, might still go over and cheer you on.

• Advertisement

Very sorry to hear that. Hope you still make it over for the weekend. In a way I suppose it’s better to know now rather than this day month a week before the race, I suppose that would be more gutting.

Truth be known the longest run I have done is 15 miles. I’ve got a 18 mile run planned for next week and then I’ll bump it up to 20 and then 22 three/two weeks before the marathon. Not following any plan due various reasons lifestyle/work/social commitments but in the month of March I want to get a lot more serious however I will have Paddy's weekend off which will be my last weekend drinking before the race.

I have done a hilly half in 90 minutes at the start of February and done loads of 90 minute runs which have been around the 13 -14 mile mark. Anyway it’s all a bit of fun and if I break 3:15 I’ll be happy, break 3:20 be reasonably happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Sydneybound sounds like you are going alright given that you are saying that you are not doing alot. Impressive stuff.

LiamMcC, sorry to hear that. I chanced Dublin last year, was going great till 18m and put myself through hell getting to the Finish dragging a calf with me. You are right to make your decision early.

Really looking forward to this now. Carlingford HM tomorrow and then 3 more 20+milers and that's me sorted hopefully. Haven't definitely set my goals yet, will reassess in 3 weeks. At the moment a PB of 3.10 is within my grasp, but thinking of pushing that on further. The thing is I don't want to push on too hard and end up blowing up and not breaking 3.10 again. We will see

I have done a hilly half in 90 minutes at the start of February and done loads of 90 minute runs which have been around the 13 -14 mile mark. Anyway it’s all a bit of fun and if I break 3:15 I’ll be happy, break 3:20 be reasonably happy!

Actually reading this back I shouldn't really be setting goals just yet, I've still to do a proper run 18 or 20 miles etc and I will know better after that. My previous best was 3:24 so obviously hoping to beat that. Provided all goes to plan with no injuries or anything else coming up before the race happy to meet up for a pint after if the legs permit me that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Hi
    Does anyone on here have any recommendations for affordable accommodation near the start?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mick kk wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone on here have any recommendations for affordable accommodation near the start?
    Thanks

affordable and 'Champs Elysees' don't often mix well. However due to a fantastic metro system you can find lots of reasonably priced hotels with about a 10-15 minute metro ride in the morning. The metro will be buzzing with other fellow runners too.

The first time I did it I stayed on the famous Boulevard Haussmann and got a metro all the way to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I can't remember whereabouts I stayed when I was last in Paris, but if you can find anywhere reasonable near a Metro station you'll be fine. I was a little out of the city centre but the public transport was excellent (like most big cities) and I was no more than 20 minutes from anywhere central on the metro. AFAIR it runs for 24 hours but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Can I just ask - do you really need a letter from the doctor..could I get away with printing my own letter. Don't feel like forking out 60 euro for a piece of paper...?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Yes, they are quite strict on the requirement to produce a medical certificate. They checked the cert against my passport last year. There's a sample one on the site that you can use as they are even strict on the wording. Has to be something like "absence of contraindications for participation in running competitions"....not sure what a "contraindications" is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I used the one from the website; my GP signed it off. Still another month to stay fit and healthy though :eek:

• Advertisement

20 mile run today. I was ill in the week and couldn't run 30 minutes on the treadmill on Thursday however got better over the weekend and decided to run at least 10 if not 15 miles today. Well my macho-ness got the better of me and after the third lap (4 x 5 mile laps) I decided to go for the whole 20 miles and I certainly suffered from mile 17. After 15 miles it was going like a dream, 7 minutes miles, why didn't I turn in like it was planned!! The last three were extremely tough with bits of walking which is very unlike me, I never normally stop and walk. I ran out of steam and had nothing left. I ate very little on Tuesday/Wednesday & Thursday so I think added to being ill and not doing any running this week it left me void of energy. Anyway no point letting it annoy me, sometimes there's nothing you can do and today was one of those days. Need at least one more major run (20 - 22) run before the big day which I plan two weeks before the race.

Advertisement