Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Was in Paris with Mrs Vagga over weekend and it was seriously hot, was only 21 or so, but felt much hotter...

Get a run or two done in decent weather if we get any...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

It's starting at 8:45 local time, so hopefully not too much hot weather to deal with...one more 20 miler before taper, it's getting close now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Much better today, completed a tough 15 mile run this morning which should really stand to me. Felt fresh at the end which I think is down to feeling much healthier and eating properly in the last few days. This weekend is off due to the rugby and Paddy's weekend. Last major run two weeks before race day in which I should do 20 odd miles then the taper.

How are people getting on? Not much being discussed in this thread, thought there would be a little more as we are getting close but maybe very few Irish are taking part in this marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Ahoy,
    Did a 20miler last Friday and Struggled a little with it. Wee 4m on Sunday. Got a nice 11m with 8m at Race Pace yesterday morning and a 6m in this morning before work. Doing 22m tomorrow night, easy weekend in London and then last 20m on Friday week. Looking forward to it now. Feeling good but not great, but the best I have ever trained before a marathon

Three 18+ LSRs done, plus one 20 with the second and last of those to come on Monday. I also ran the Carlingford HM. Still on course and hoping the old body doesn't break down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

23 Miler done on Friday after work in park. Started off slow thinking wasn;t gonna be a good day but then felt great for last 5 miles at 7 min miles.
    Really gave confidence, each long run feels easier. I think one more next Saturday and i'll be laughing.

Still no injuries! (touch wood!)

It's been getting pretty hot over there. What does everyone think weather will be like on day. Worst case scenario?

What's everyone doing in relation to gels. I have a running belt which i'm thinking of using or is it easy do you think to get gels at station?

After a drink filled weekend enjoying both the rugby and Paddys it was back to the grindstone this morning.

To be honest I didn't know what to expect however the 10 miles went well and even quicker than expected. Got a short 5 miler on Friday morning than the big one 20-21 miles on Sunday morning two weeks before race day. Fingers crossed that goes ok although its a much tougher compared to the actual marathon route, hopefully should be good prep and give me an indication and what time I should aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Folks- - I did Paris last year and was shocked at the difference in temp between the start and finish! I wore too many layers because it was so cold in the morning, but i was baked by around 3/4 mark.
    Good luck with the training - great race - just wish i could have enjoyed the last 6 miles more!

Out of interest, how long did it take to get away? I'll be lining up in the 4 hour pen so am expecting a lengthy delay, and hoping it's not too hot in the later miles!

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how long did it take to get away? I'll be lining up in the 4 hour pen so am expecting a lengthy delay, and hoping it's not too hot in the later miles!

Took about 15 mins but they let the left and right hand side of the road go separately. So we were standing in the right hand side with our pacer but the other pacer for our time was on the left and left about 10-15 mins before us.

Took about 15 mins but they let the left and right hand side of the road go separately. So we were standing in the right hand side with our pacer but the other pacer for our time was on the left and left about 10-15 mins before us.

Quick one what food do they give out along the route? On the website it states fruit but no mention of sweets jelly babies etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Quick one what food do they give out along the route? On the website it states fruit but no mention of sweets jelly babies etc..

Pieces of oranges for sure, and maybe halved bananas too. I doubt there were any sweets.

The discarded orange peels make the feed stations fairly risky - I saw at least two people slip on them and almost come a cropper.

There we are the last serious run before the marathon is done. Did a hilly 20 miles. To be honest the route is incomparable to the marathon course, I'd put up the elevation chart if I knew how. Weather was decent although I did get a heavy hail stone shower and the wind picked up at times. First 10 miles average pace was 7:12 and was 7:24 after 20. 

No major dramas, tired now obviously but could have gone on further if required. This run should really stand to me, kicked the last two miles which was pleasing after a few tough miles.

On a side point good to see some of the air pollution in Paris going away, hopefully this should be ok come race day otherwise we could have been in a bit of trouble.

What's everyone's plans two weeks leading up to the race?

Last long run done also. Starting to be concerned i might have done all my LSR's too fast. Planned marathon pace is around 7min05 per mile but have done my runs in and around that.

Did 16miles today at 6:58per mile. Average HR was 165.

Does anyone know what their heart rate has been previous years for runs?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about Ian in that you have done loads and possibly could go faster

Was going to do 21 on Saturday but only managed 17. The winds drained my energy so decided not to flog myself. Was doing laps in the 40 acres in the park and it was relentless. Plus someone swiped my water bottle on 10m :-(

Think I have enough done, now the waiting game.

Looks like its going to be warm enough over there come race morning

Jmcmen wrote: »
    now the waiting game.

Looks like its going to be warm enough over there come race morning

The waiting game indeed. It's a funny old period of time, not to do anything too much but at the same time needing to put a few runs in. Trying to avoid unnecessary injuries is the name of the game, I nearly slipped getting off a bus today and got thinking after imagine if that slip put me put me out of the race after the months of prep. Really want raceday to come now.

Reckon the day will be a bit like London weather in the sense it might start off cold at 8/9 but really heat up by 11/12 (already mentioned above) a further incentive to get round quicker.

Tough going waiting around alright! Ran about 12.5 slow miles in the Phoenix Park on Saturday morning, and played my GAA match on Sunday afternoon without picking up any knocks. Quad still flares up occasionally, though I'm hoping this becomes less of an issue; it may have a significant bearing on how hard I decide to push. Don't want to ruin my first!

Yeah really hope that hot weather fecks off by the weekend! Really struggle in any remotely got weather. Ugh

Suppose good incentive to get round ASAP! Clocks going back next weekend to boot.

Less than a week now, wonder how I'll be feeling this time next week!

• Advertisement

Hopefully Happy but most definelty sore and hungover

weather not looking too bad at all and improving as the week goes on
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:00000.1.07150&MR=1
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-FRXX0076:1:FR

Started to get excited. Few wee niggles and a touch of a sore throat that had me in bad form yesterday but starting to come around now and look forward to it

Hi folks - if you are meeting up with other runners who are doing a different time than you, be careful where you meet up. They close off some of the entrance walkways so you cannot meet people back there. I suggest you meet at the champs elesie (spelt very wrong) as its away from the crowds a small bit and is a great backdrop for a post marathon photo!

Also had a sore throat and small chesty cough last week which made me run sluggish but think deffo over the hump now.

That weather doesn't loom too bad at all.

You don't think will be too hot?

Ian

Did my last morning run today and was surprisingly unmotivated. Maybe it’s just the thought of a 5 mile run that doesn’t excite me much at this stage as I really want race day to come.

I’ve a mix of nerves and excitement for the race and getting back to normal life afterwards. Just want the logistics on the day, getting to the race, bag storage, queues for toilets, to go well.

Weather looks fine and it should peak at 1-2pm when hopefully we are all finished the race!

Did my last morning run today and was surprisingly unmotivated. Maybe it’s just the thought of a 5 mile run that doesn’t excite me much at this stage as I really want race day to come.

I’ve a mix of nerves and excitement for the race and getting back to normal life afterwards. Just want the logistics on the day, getting to the race, bag storage, queues for toilets, to go well.

Weather looks fine and it should peak at 1-2pm when hopefully we are all finished the race!

I can only speak about my experience last year, but dont waste any time or energy worrying about logistics - its so easy to get there (follow the crowd), bag drop is easy, lots of toilets (and bushes).

The main thing about the start is to give yourself enough time to get into your wave pen - it can be very tight trying to get into it from the side as the start gets nearer. Last year, i was trying to leave it as late as possible to get into the pen as i wanted to drain the last pee out and it was a bit stressful.

Bag drop etc is a few minutes jog from the starting pen so once you've dropped your bag, head up the road into your pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Heading home after the race - flights at 5.00.
    Any suggestions for where to get a free shower?
    Hotels seem fairly strict about 12.00 checkout...will still be running at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to everyone running this on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

I'm out, have the flu since last weekend getting better slowly but not worth running it. Will prob do more damage if I tried it. My first marathon will have to wait until another time :mad:

My training plan wasn't perfect so not too gutted will def enjoy Paris though, good luck to everyone still running it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Was this really given out in the packs?

BkZvdEmCMAEUtCR.jpg

Advertisement