Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conceiving over 40- share your success stories?

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to conceive for a few months now. I am forty. Would love to have had kids long ago but I never met the right person and now that I'm in a serious relationship, we are actively trying.

I'm just interested in hearing stories of those starting out on this journey at 40 plus and any success stories. I can't help worrying about the tickickity tick tock so would be greatly encouraged by hearing from those in same boat who have had kids in their forties.

I have a regular cycle, always have had. Bang on 28/29days always so this hasn't changed with age. Am hoping that's positive.

Maybe this isn't the forum and I need to look at a parenting section as we are all TRYING so ....

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bettercaulsaul

Hi 73Trix, as an over 40 TTC the last 6 months, I'm in the same boat, have a regular cycle, use opks always show a positive but still getting bloods checked this month as time is ticking on. How are you since you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hi bettercaulsaul.
    Thankfully got lucky on 5th cycle after trying. Early days still but hopeful. I really hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skylarr

Hi 73Trix,

I was just reading through your thread and had to jump in:)) That's absolutely Great news and soo quick too only 5 cycles:))!! I too am 40 and ttc number 5 after 12 yrs. I actually started young (16 with my 1st) and finished at 27 with 3 boys & 1 girl.

I'd Never had a Smear test after any of them (I know my bad). So when I eventually went to get a smear it came back abnormal and I had to go to hospital and have a few biopsies coloscopys etc that told me I was at stage 3 and I was told that I was Very Lucky! They did a lletz procedure by lazer (Sorry hope thats all spelt correct it was about 10 years ago now). After that I had to have smears every 6 weeks then 3 months then 6 then yearly until finally 10 yrs had past and soo quickly I might add. All this really frightened me to bits.

So now thankfully after All those tests and smears etc I can feel good to say I'm clear and ready to try again! I never could say I was finished when someone would ask me if I'd have anymore. I Love kids their my life and my husbands life too! So hopefully if it's meant to be it will be but I would rather try than look back with regret for not trying if you know what I mean.

My neighbour was ttc for 10 years and she had a baby boy just Christmas gone at 44yrs of age. Also my Sis-n-Law had a baby at 41. They both look Great! I really believe that kids do keep you young lol!

I'd Love to know how your getting on etc so please keep us updated!:))

Also Bettercasaul I'd Love to know how your getting on too!:))

If you know of an over 40 TTC forum's on here Please let me know girls! X

Thanks so much, Skylar. Wow, you've been thro the mill! Best of luck! I know a couple of people who had babies in their 40's and my midwife poo-pooed the 40 thing telling me she meets plenty 40 s'things and had a 47yrs old mum recently! Im great, luckily. 17wks and counting! All the best.

wow 17 weeks and counting that's Great!:) You we're soo lucky to get preggers on your 5th cycle! Do you mind me asking if you were using opt's and if so do you think they helped?

Did u have your big scan yet?? I Loved those they are so detailed! Although the 3D one's look's amazing!

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!:) X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

Hi, I'm in the same boat, I meet someone later in life and tried for a year but nothing, we had all the tests done and were all clear. We were to start IVF in summer (hubby is not to keen) and I got the biggest shock to get pregnant naturally. I'm 12 weeks and turned 41 mid April. I had a scan last week and all looks well thank God. I wish you all the best, it is such an emotional time

Hi Margo,

That's really Fab news Congratulations to you both!! That's brilliant that it happened naturally too!:) Really glad to know that your scan wen't well Thank god. Just out of curiosity does the hospital bring up age much? Sorry for the questions but I too hope to have another baby & I'm 40yrs old and was just wondering what way the hospital and the midwifes will re-act to me etc.. My hospital would be The Coombe in Dublin.

Best Wishes:)
    Skylar X

Hi Skylar, thanks for kind words. The midwife I saw last year for a smear test said bit to worry about age she said years ago lots of women were having healthy pregnancies in their 40s. I saw a nurse and then Dr last week and they asked was it conceived naturally and I said yes and they just said that's great congrats! And no other mention of age. Best of luck to you :)

Hi Margo,

That's Great! Sounds like you have a good team there (Doc's/Nurses)!
    I hope they'll be kind to me too lol! I wouldn't like to keep hearing the Age thing from the Doctor's to the Hospital. Although Of course we want everything to be fine I'm sure there will be special tests and more bloodwork to be done etc..

Did they put AMA (advanced maternal age) on your chart and is there a separate section that mums over 35 go to? Sorry for all the question's but there on my mind! It does seem like my first tbh (that's when/if it happens Please God, But God is Good!)

I'm hoping it will be easy to conceive after having other kids but after the lletz procedure and laser I'm not too sure but time will tell!:) This is my 1st cycle actually using opt's and using Evening Primrose Oil since last AF. I got 2 positives on my opt for 2 days nothing a week before and nothing after the 2 positive opt's so fingers crossed that that helped with this cycle and we timed it all right! I'm only now about 5/6 dpo but feeling very wet down south and if it was near AF time I'd be checking every minute if you know what I mean. I do so hope that this will be right month for us. If not I might try different things this month for example

I read a lot about Preseed or else I might try Mutinex cough syrup from time of AF till Ov. Also DH is happily taking All his vitamins too, He takes Vitamin E, C and Omega 3 & Fish Oil Capsules. I take Folic Acid, Vitamin E, C & Omega3 & Fish Oil tabs too and when I'm in AF I start back on my EPO. I really found this month that the Evening Primrose Oil had greatly increased my CM a lot even now tho I'm stopped now until AF arrives (If she does..)! So Cough syrup next maybe!*** Has anyone else heard or tried any of these things?

Another thing that's on the top of my list to get is Maca Fermented for women I heard Black Maca is best. It helps with soo many thing's increases energy, libado etc and afaik it's safe to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding Its actually a Peruvian Superfood!

Best of luck

Skylar :) X

I know how you feel, I told them we met late in life, I kind of felt I had to explain why I had left it so late in life but they just moved on. When I went initially for blood work at GP the midwife made a note on file older mother :) but she was 40 and pregnant too she said they just note that. A friend told me she thinks I'll be in the high risk clinic but I have no real knowledge, hopefully I'll know more Tues when I go for my scan. The other scan was for light bleeding, but it has nothing to do with the pregnancy but I got such a fright. It looks like you're doing everything right, fingers crossed you'll have "news" soon:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I understand! You really shouldn't have to explain anything though you know what I mean..
    They should be just there to look after you and baby until the end of your pregnancy God Bless you!
    Although I think some of them have to have a little dig in (Just remember that from my 1st" pregnancy) she said something like I should've been still playing with my dolls and not having a baby! She just had to say it, I think some are just like that.. I dunno maybe working there soo long!!
    I can imagine what they'll say when they hear it's my 5th & I'm 40 ... Aw I can hear it now lol!:))

Ah thanks very much Margo.:)) Yea of course you'd get a fright seen blood whilst pregnant! My oldest daughter (16 when I had her) had a baby exactly 8 months ago and she's nearly 6 ,months pregnant next week also had/has bleeding during this pregnancy too! She's not worried though as everything is grand GBH so TG she's been so relaxed. There's just pregnancies like that where you have bleeding on and off but you mention it's over something different, don't worry about it!

Wow the nurse is also pregnant! Well that's nice tbh:) My Doctor had 4 children in her late 30s and into her 40s too.

Yeah I'd say there is a different kind of clinic for mums over age 35 yrs. Please defo keep us in touch with how your scan goes on Tuesday! Is it the Anomaly/Anatomy scan? There'll really detailed do you think you'll find out the sex of the baby!:)) My daughter is only going to be going for her's on the 6th of May she'll be about 24/25 weeks then.

Best Wishes :)

Skylar X

Hi, congrats on your grandchildren, it's so exciting for your daughter. I don't think I'll find out what I'm having, I think I want the big surprise of finding out at the end. I've no idea what Tues's scan will be or when I go back for my next. Time will tell, good luck

Congrats Margo. You are same age as me!

Skylar, i was VERY concious of starting ttc at 40.5 so yes, we used the OPT kits. Did find helpful yet we still concentrated on the deed (!) daily for a good week each cycle anyway to cover all bases. Worth the effort if not SO romantic! :) Tried preseed at cycle 4, i think so it may have helped but it wasn't instant as we needed a further cycle. Not sensing any issue with medics about age. Have big scan next week. Fingers crossed! I did worry about my age but took some comfort from knowing friends and relatives to have kids over 40. Best of luck again!

Thanks 73 trix, when are you due? Good luck with your scan.

13 week scan went well today thankfully, midwife said lots of ladies in their 40s are having heslthy babies, nothing unusual. I've booked anamoly scan for week 22, I've no idea what it really is, I'll google it but have any women here had it done

Thats great, Margo. I'm having a routine scan at 19wks. I'm public and seems to be the norm. Haven't had a scan since 8wks - just a heartbeat check at 13wks - so v excited at seeing little bubs again. Due in October. :D

Best of luck with your scan next week 73trix! Yes of course there are Lot's of women in their 40s having babies. I suppose they did years ago too but they didn't have the internet etc to talk and communicate about it lol! Also I think 40 nowadays is a total different kettle of fish than 20/30 years ago. People are living healthier, longer, and taking much better care of themselves and most don't even look their age either!

Margo I'm delighted to hear your scan went well today!:) If I remember correctly the Anamoly Scan is the Big scan (Thats what I used to call it) usually done at 20 weeks or so. It's so much more detailed and will probably take a bit longer than the other one's you've had done! Was the scan you had done today on a little machine or could you see it on the big screen? Also at the Anomaly scan they'll give (Well If you get a nice Sonographer) you a lot of pics of the baby!:)) Just slip them into your bag if you get a few because then Everyone wants loads and sometimes they don't have enough ink. Even ask if you could buy a few.. It's all sounds soo exciting!

73trix and Margo Please keep us posted as to how your scan's go etc!

H and H pregnancies to you both!! :)

Skylar X

Hoe did you get on margo? I am blessed with a beautiful healthy 3 month old boy. Hope you got on Ok. Any luck Skylarr? Given my 41 yrs it am ow trying for no 2! Well, not just yet, another month or 2....

Congrats! It's wonderful time. I had a baby girl 8 weeks ago, she's a little dote. The pregnancy and delivery went fine thankfully. Enjoy baby, good luck to those trying.
    73trix wrote: »
    Hoe did you get on margo? I am blessed with a beautiful healthy 3 month old boy. Hope you got on Ok. Any luck Skylarr? Given my 41 yrs it am ow trying for no 2! Well, not just yet, another month or 2....

• Advertisement

Congrats Margo . That's fantastic. You are some age as me. Do you think you will try for no 2? Or quit while ahead?

We'll try soon, I'm breastfeeding so I'm trying to wean baby off that and hopefully we'll be lucky with no 2, how about ye? I'd love baby to have a sibling as we have small families as it is.
    Congrats Margo . That's fantastic. You are some age as me. Do you think you will try for no 2? Or quit while ahead?

margo321 wrote: »
    We'll try soon, I'm breastfeeding so I'm trying to wean baby off that and hopefully we'll be lucky with no 2, how about ye? I'd love baby to have a sibling as we have small families as it is.

Same. Hope to have another but bfing too. Would like to bf another month to get babs to 4 month s. I would prefer more space betw a second bt cos of my age am keen to get started. Best of luck.

Good luck to you too. It's encouraging all the dr and midwives I've spoken to made no issue of my age and said it was common to have babies in your 40s. I better get some housework done while baby sleeps :)
    Same. Hope to have another but bfing too. Would like to bf another month to get babs to 4 month s. I would prefer more space betw a second bt cos of my age am keen to get started. Best of luck.

Advertisement