Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Cider Vinegar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I've always added a teaspoon of this to my dog's water to help with her tear stains. It seems to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yep, I know a lady in rescue who swears by it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Toulouse wrote: »
    Yep, I know a lady in rescue who swears by it.

Heh, so do I... I wonder is it the same lady? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

equestrian supplies are usually cheapest place to buy acv, €12.50 for 4.5ltr is what i pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Very good for the skin and coat and may also help with arthritis. :)

I put a capful through my dog's wet food. (She wouldn't touch her drinking water when I put the ACV in it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

DBB wrote: »
    Heh, so do I... I wonder is it the same lady? :o

I'd say you can be sure of it :D

My favourite dog nerrrrrrrrrrrrd magazine concurs 8-)

• Relieves or prevents arthritis

• Improves digestion

• Acts as a urinary system tonic, clears urinary tract infections, and prevents the formation of kidney and bladder stones

• Improves the growth and condition of fur and hair

• Clears the skin of bacterial and fungal infections

• Reduces skin flaking and dander

• Makes one less attractive to biting insects

• Helps prevent food poisoning

• Acts as a natural antibiotic by interrupt- ing the development of infectious bacterial and viral diseases

• Relieves muscle fatigue

• Alleviates itching

• Improves ability to adapt to cold temperatures

• Reduces hock and elbow calluses

• When applied to the ears, clears and prevents ear infections.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/2_6/features/5220-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Wow I'd only heard of it being used for fungal skin conditions before, didn't realise it had so many benefits! Would it be safe for cats too?

Well of course not all the benefits are proven, but I can tell you it gave a gorgeous shine to my dogs' coats. :)

Not sure if it's okay for cats - let me go check my nerd book. :D I can't imagine why it wouldn't be okay, just cats mightn't tolerate the taste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Interesting... I have some apple cider vinegar for the hens that I got in an agri store. Would that be suitable to give to the dogs? It looks a lot stronger than the kind you buy for cooking.

• Advertisement

the organic unfiltered acv with the mother (sediment) is the stuff to use for dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I will have to give this a shot. I bought some in the health shop for myself a few months ago but I couldnt handle the taste (even with it diluted). I found it horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sorry if I appear thick here but I have apple cider vinegar which I bought and use for cooking and salads. Is it ok to put a cap of this in my dogs water? I am just getting worried when I see that others use stuff bought in equestrian suppliers, that there may be one type for humans and one type for animals.

It seems as if it would be a great thing to give 'herself' but I worry that I might hurt her if I give her the wrong stuff.

i buy it in eqestrian supplies cause its much cheaper there , if its organic unfiltered acv with the mother (sediment) it will be the same everywhere just different price ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I believe the stuff we buy in supermarkets does not have the Mother (i.e living nutrients and bacteria) in, and is quite useless for horses/hens - and therefore presumably dogs?

Not useless, just the unfiltered, unpasteurised stuff is more beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

boomerang wrote: »
    Not useless, just the unfiltered, unpasteurised stuff is more beneficial.

oh good to hear that - I thought it had to be the organic/unpasturised vinegar, so when I run out of that and cant get to the feed store, I wouldnt bother giving the 'human' stuff to the hens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

We have a shiz tuz and she has problem with her paws and id like to try this any ideas how to smuggle it into her food as she on royal canine dry food and wouldnt touch the water if she smells anything funny in it.Thanks ;)

Advertisement