Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning a mule into a race horse.

• 08-01-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

It's time for me to venture back out into the world of boards.ie training logs. :)

In running terms I am a mule.

mule2.jpg

A slow mule and an overweight mule at that but we are making progress on this front.

Mules of course tend to be slower than horses and are stubborn creatures however in some circumstances can actually match and beat horses. Here's an old story about a pacing mule I found interesting. For the moment I don't mind being the mule but I do intend to race with the rest of the horses here some day. :)

History To Date:

I've made all the beginners mistakes - (and am ready to make the graduating to intermediate ones ;) but am hoping a log here might help me avoid them) Ran like a lunatic every run, tried to beat my PB each run and was disappointed if I didn't. Set my goals too high, changed my goals too often etc etc.

I started running early in 2012 from a zero base. Literally off the couch. I was overweight (still am to be honest but we will get to that shortly :) ) I originally started off with a time goal for a 5 mile race following the couch to 5k program but as time progressed turned my sights to the 2012 Dublin marathon. Why you ask ? I fell into a trap where I equated distance with success. After getting to 5k I wanted to be able to run 10k at a time - then a half marathon and ultimately an ill fated go at DCM. It never sunk in that progress could be made dropping times on shorter runs too ! An injury sustained about 6 weeks out knackered my training at a critical point but I went ahead and ran anyway (ran / walked to be more accurate) covering the distance in 5 hours 36 minutes. Realistically this injury was caused by doing too much too soon, off too little a base and carrying too much weight.

An attempt to restart things early in 2013 was also scuppered by injuries and personal circumstances changing but I eventually got back out there in August and have gradually brought some fitness back - starting off with the smallest of runs 2 or 3k at a time and bringing things up to a LSR of up to 12k.

Current Official PB's are:

5k 28:24 (Remembrance Run Nov 2013)
    10k 1:02:51 (DLR Bay 10k 2012)
    Half Marathon 2:18:30 (Race Series 2012)
    Full Marathon 5:36:53 (DCM 2012)

So most definitely mule standard at the moment. ;)

The Goal:

I want a proper crack at a marathon and am targeting DCM 2014. In perfect hindsight jumping into marathon training so soon and carrying the weight I was carrying was a mistake which led to the injuries I sustained so DCM 14 is the goal to give me plenty of time to build a solid base before embarking on marathon training. I will know by August if it is feasible this year but if I need to push that out to spring 2015 then so be it. Along the way I need to shift some weight. Back in 2012 I was just shy of 17 stone. Weight has fluctuated since then - had gone down to 14 Stone pre marathon, back up over 16 stone (to my shame) when I was off injured and currently stands at just under 15 stone.

Getting there:

I'm joining a club at Fit4Life level. I wanted to do this last year but couldn't get a club training at a time that suits. Good news though is circumstances have changed a bit and I should be able to commit to at least one day a week at a club. I will continue to gradually increase distances and improve paces, keep the diet in check and hopefully will see some good results later in the year. Shouldn't be too hard to improve on the current times.

Between the guidance and support of a club and you good folk I know I will be in good company along the journey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff! Good luck with the club.
    What kind of running are you currently doing?
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Wed 8th Jan

8.3 k - Avg Pace 7:15 km

First run of the year. Slow / easy pace.

(I've always tracked myself in kilometres but am giving a lot of consideration to changing to miles as most people here log in miles and I'd like to be speaking the same language as such :) ) I only went with kilometres in the first place as when I started off I was using a phone app that gave feedback every 1km or mile and picking kilometres meant more regular feedback. Plus 26 miles sounds less than 42 kilometres. !

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great stuff! Good luck with the club.
    What kind of running are you currently doing?
    Best of luck :)

Thanks Ososlo

Generally aiming for one LSR a week which is in and around 10/12k. Two maybe three smaller runs of anything from 3k to 6k. Pace varied on these - mixing between recovery, easy and 10k race pace. No great plan there - just enjoying the running and doing what came naturally. These distances are gradually growing. At one point the LSR was the 3k :D

I will knuckle down into a proper plan in the next few weeks when I nail down what races I will be aiming at this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to have another Spurs head on here!

Welcome back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck with the log. Will be following with interest. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Best of luck with the log. Might see you on the starting line of DCM. :)

Took the plunge and converted to miles - First run tonight.

Legs were still a bit tender from Wednesday so this was done at easy / comfortable near recovery pace. Turns out my easy pace is 10:30 / 11:00 minute miles.

Splits were

11:02
    10:54
    10:14

reflective of the fact the first half of the run is uphill (overall climb of 45ft) and therefore the last half is a bit of a gradual descent. Effort level was constant throughout and I made a point of not pushing too much.

Messed up my half way turn though and got back home at 2.85 miles meaning a lap of the local block was required to tick the 3 mile box. Runners OCD :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Welcome to miles, I can understand what your runs are about now :-)

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Welcome to miles, I can understand what your runs are about now :-)

I'm now bilingual ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

where do you do most of your runs and what sort of surfaces? Is it all road?

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    where do you do most of your runs and what sort of surfaces? Is it all road?

All road and in the local area of Blanchardstown / Clonee / Dunboyne. Haven't ran in the Phoenix Park for a while but it's a place I enjoyed running in. Getting the time to travel down has been an issue. Used to run on treadmills in the gym but haven't for quite some time now.
    I did try running on grass in the park but found it uncomfortable on the uneven surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Best of Luck Pacing Mule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck, like the pic! Looking forward to great progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I know you're new to boards.ie backslash A/R but have you ever thought about mentoring the DCM Novices? ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I know you're new to boards.ie backslash A/R but have you ever thought about mentoring the DCM Novices? ;)

:D

It's on the top of my to do list. What could possibly go wrong if I were to be asked to do it ?? :D

6 miles (ish due to gps issues)

Really enjoyed today's run. Was in the mood for it right from waking up. Sundays are the only day of the week I am not up at 5am for work so Sunday morning is a chance for a little lie in time. By 8 though I was half asleep fighting an urge to get up and go out running. Not much resistance put up :) As I posted in the rave thread I recently discovered Spotify and today I hit The Doors on random and headed off reconnecting with songs I hadn't heard in years.

Idea was for 6 miles of a LSR standard. Set off but got confused by the pacing on the watch which at one point had me at 20 minute miles (I'm slow but not that slow!) then 4 minute mile pace (sadly not likely to ever be that fast :D ) so I figured the GPS signal had been screwed up a bit. Looking at the strava data afterwards I was probably a little short of a full first mile but due to moving time adjustments Strava gave me a way off split.

Very comfortable pace as would be expected of a LSR. I decided to open it up a little for the last mile and aimed to do this at around current target 10k pace (not knowing what that would be in minutes per mile - I was doing the maths of it but in the end just upped the pace to not all out but a little uncomfortable) The last half mile of this would have been back downhill with the first third or so uphill so the split is not 100% indicative of the pace for effort it should be but is thereabouts for a sub 1 hour 10k which is the next short term goal.

Splits:

8:46 (my watch had me at 10 minutes at the split which would have been short of a mile anyway)
    11:02
    11:01
    10:41
    10:39
    9:31

I've only found 4 potential races that suit this year so far but I'm sure there are more.

(I work Saturdays so races have to be Sundays, Bank Hols or evening time and close to Dublin if not in Dublin itself.)

9th March FIT Magazine 10k Phoenix Park
    23rd March Wicklow 10k / Half Marathon
    August Bank Holiday: DLR 10K or Rock n Roll Half (Assuming both follow last years schedules)
    End October DCM 14

If anyone knows of any others that fit in please let me know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I've only found 4 potential races that suit this year so far but I'm sure there are more.

(I work Saturdays so races have to be Sundays, Bank Hols or evening time and close to Dublin if not in Dublin itself.)

9th March FIT Magazine 10k Phoenix Park
    23rd March Wicklow 10k / Half Marathon
    August Bank Holiday: DLR 10K or Rock n Roll Half (Assuming both follow last years schedules)
    End October DCM 14

If anyone knows of any others that fit in please let me know !

Bob Heffernan 5k (Enfield) is usually during the week and is around may
    Dunshaughlin 10k is a Saturday evening if thats any use / June
    Tom Lynam Midsummer 5k usually a Sunday in St Annes park roughly June

Just a few off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Dunboyne 5m is a Tuesday PM also, think it's late may early June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 to the above races, also consider the St Cocas 5k (kilcock). Normally last friday in June starts 7:30pm. That and the Bob Heffernan are two of the fastest 5ks around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Dunboyne AC 4mile the last Sunday in March, you can't get more local than that PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 to the above races, also consider the St Cocas 5k (kilcock). Normally last friday in June starts 7:30pm. That and the Bob Heffernan are two of the fastest 5ks around...

Bob Heffernan 5k is probably my favourite race in Ireland. You will not find a faster 5k course.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

First up will be the FIT magazine 10k in early March. It's 8 weeks away which will give me a chance to follow a 10k plan into it. Mrs Mule is banding together a few of her friends to start running and they are going to aim for the 5k on the same day. The 10k race here if last years reports are anything to go by is more geared up for beginner / slower runners and this will suit me perfectly :D

The Rock N Roll half is perfect timing for a realistic assessment of the chances of a decent time (for me) for DCM 14 so that's a near cert at the moment.

I will definitely slot in a few of the other races along the way too.

Goal time at moment is to break 1 hour which would be a PB. From a personal perspective versus my 2012 tilt at things achieving this target would put me ahead of the fitness level I had in August 2012 which would be a big confidence boost for what is to come.

3 miles at a bit of pace. Not all out pace but was a bit of a workout.

Splits:

10:20
    10:21
    9:41

Again skewed splits due to the hill start and end where I live. Gradiant adjusted pace according to Strava was

10:00
    10:19
    10:00

which is reasonably consistent.

So just under half the 10k distance at a little slower than 1 hour pace (rough maths tells me it would land me home at 1:03:00 if replicated across 10k. 8 weeks out I'm happy enough that a sub 1 hour is a very reasonable target to aim at. Might actually be a bit soft to be fair but I've learned from previous mistakes not to push too hard too soon.

Recovery run tonight.

4 miles at average pace just under 12 min miles.

I set out to do a recovery run as things were a bit tender from Tuesday. I ran a lot slower than normal, hardly broke sweat, breathing was near normal everyday and muscles were all grand. However I got a really bad stitch 2 miles in which made the run quite uncomfortable. Couldn't shift it at all although it eased off when running faster or slower (which was walking!) Sign of dehydration I think so must get religious on water intake.

On the way back in a local scumbag coming towards me thought it would be funny to roll a football at me. I wasn't meant to do this - I was meant to just kick the ball away in frustration but my toe punt / balloon effort smashed him in the face. :D Went on my way with a healthy smile. :)

Sometimes the running Gods conspire against you.

Got up this morning full of enthusiasm for a LSR. I had a 10 minute DIY job to do beforehand - taking down some shelves in the playroom. Mrs Mule is on a mission to overhaul the house ! These shelves were put up by yours truly 6 years ago. And it turns out that 6 years ago a screw went through a hot water pipe :o which duly started gushing once said screw was removed today. 10 minute job turned into a 4 hour nightmare.

Wasn't in the mood for it at all after this. I only got to go out at 4pm and even at that was squeezing time out between other things that were on todays schedule - time that wasn't really there. Left the house in a dilemma - do the planned LSR anyway or shorten it down. Reasoning here was that the intention is to take in a session with a local club tomorrow evening with a view to joining up and I'd normally have taken a rest day after a LSR. So an early morning LSR would have been reasonably ok but a late evening one could be a bit too late. Once I got out though I felt good, was enjoying the run and reasoned to myself that it is only 7 hours of a difference. Go ahead and run the LSR. At that point I eased it off a little bit bit as I had gone out with one eye on a half pace run.

1 non running observation from the run today:

Horses are far friendlier creatures than dogs. Passed two fields / gates with horses in them and got a friendly nod and gallop beside me down the road. Passed three gates with dogs who all seemed intent on ripping me apart.

7 miles avg pace 10:33

Took the plunge tonight and dropped down to Donore Harriers fit4life session to see how things went. Was a bit surprised by a) the amount of people there and b) by the fitness levels of the group. Turned out tonight was a hill session in the park on a half mile loop just inside Chapelizod gate. This was nowhere near beginner standard at all. In fact I've a bit of improving to do to hold pace with the top tier of the group.

1 mile warmup then 8 x .5 mile loops with 1 min rest between.

Didn't have my watch with me so no idea of pace but it was definitely challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Took the plunge tonight and dropped down to Donore Harriers fit4life session to see how things went. Was a bit surprised by a) the amount of people there and b) by the fitness levels of the group. Turned out tonight was a hill session in the park on a half mile loop just inside Chapelizod gate. This was nowhere near beginner standard at all. In fact I've a bit of improving to do to hold pace with the top tier of the group.

1 mile warmup then 8 x .5 mile loops with 1 min rest between.

Didn't have my watch with me so no idea of pace but it was definitely challenging.

Thats exactly where you wanna be. Run w/ lads faster than you and you'll get faster! Good stuff. Make sure you run super easy recovery on your next run though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great stuff PM, you'll benefit from the club no end!

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Thats exactly where you wanna be. Run w/ lads faster than you and you'll get faster! Good stuff. Make sure you run super easy recovery on your next run though!

Good call.

Really feeling it in the heels in particular today so rest day today and very gentle recovery run tomorrow.

Advertisement