Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning a mule into a race horse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Let's gloss over that one :D

4 miles done this morning. Easy pace. ITB still sore though which is a bit of a worry. Flared up after 2 miles. Nice and very easy does it this week.

Really missed running this week. Felt great to be back out even if sore. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Take it handy P - a little caution now however difficult will be worth it

Turned out I had no choice but to be cautious. It's been a very frustrating few weeks. Only a handful of very short runs done. Gradually building up from runs as short as 1 mile at a time before the ITB on one or both knees flared up. Runs built up to 1 mile run half mile walk 1 mile run etc but still not right nor sustainable.

Today though I feel like a corner is turned. Hadn't ran in a week but decided last night enough was enough (when I don't run I lose focus on all other healthy eating and the last 3 weeks have been shocking) and today I was doing 5k be it ran or walked. Came home from work it was cold and wet and miserable out but I had promised myself a run and a run was happening. More of an irritation was that I had forgotten all about my watch until I went to get ready today and it was completely flat. The choice being to delay the run whilst it charged or go for a naked run a la Dubgal. Decided I would ditch the watch for the day but did leave strava on the phone recording. (I still want to see the data the watch would throw up at the end :D)

A total of 3.5 miles done and all ran. Knees were not 100% but were ok enough to be happy with the progress. Happy enough to run a little extra too. 5k doesn't sound like an awful lot but to me today this was back to proper running.

3.5 miles done at 9:03 avg pace - way too fast for easy but this was just on feel with no watch to distract me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brilliant log pm. I hope your right about turning the corner with the injury. Good luck .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rick Ford

9:03 avg pace - way too fast for easy
    Am no expert but just maybe 9:03 is ur easy pace...

Frustrating times

Wednesday

5 great fantastic super glorious miles. Longest run since DCM. No pain in the knees. A small bit of pace (avg 9:02) but not too much. Just enough to feel alive and happy back running. :)

Thursday

Woke up with another ****ing injury. This time bottom of calve into the achilles was tender and sore. A place that has never given me an ounce of trouble. :mad: One knee then got sore which I suspect was a compensating for the other tenderness coming into play.

Friday

A bit better. Booked into see our resident boards phsyio tonight. Hoping for good things.

I need to be back running properly - driving me crazy to not be !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hopefully it's nothing serious P, and him with the healing hands will sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tang1 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's nothing serious P, and him with the healing hands will sort you out.

No doubt he will & you'll be back at it in no time

Could be worse / could be better depending on the mood you're in !

Current pains nothing too serious but there is a major underlying cause of all the issues which is weak hips and glutes.

Myles feels that I need a couple of months of targeted strength training on the hips and glutes in particular and no runs longer than 90 minutes to a) allow the injuries to heal up properly and b) to prevent a recurrence. Without this he feels history would repeat itself with the hip fatiguing mid marathon if I were to take one on without strengthening up first.

With all that in mind I'm going to have to give Rotterdam a miss as the time frame is too tight to train properly for it mileage wise. I will take the next couple of months easy enough mileage wise, build the strength up that is needed, work on some shorter stuff etc and then look towards a marathon in May/June instead.

Anyone here have experience or thoughts on Belfast, Newry or Liverpool ( A RocknRoll one) ? Limerick and Cork as "local" races also an option.

• Advertisement

Might as well take the 'could be worse' approach. Well worth being patient. Best of luck with it.

Frustrating frustrating frustrating :mad:

Getting back to distance running seems a long long way away. 5k done yesterday. Right knee this time sore after 1 mile. Still sore this evening. Might have to fire up the bike to keep fit.

Getting back to distance running seems a long long way away. 5k done yesterday. Right knee this time sore after 1 mile. Still sore this evening. Might have to fire up the bike to keep fit.

That's a pain in the rocks P, get up on the bike if your able and keep things ticking over as the niggles heal themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That's a bummer. The best of luck with your recovery.

The lofty heights of 10+ miles reached this week :D

Shorter runs, easy with a little pace.

1 x 5k / 3.1 miles @ 9:12 avg pace
    1 x 5k @ 8:57 avg pace with 1 mile done at 8:38
    1 x 4 mile @ 8:58 avg pace with 1 mile at 7:32
    Various excercises x 3 days

The bit of pace injected just to see if the legs could stand it. If I can't go too long for the moment I would like to do a bit of speed work if I can sustain it.

See your looking for a recommendation for waterproof jacket, I could not sell this one enough. Got it about 3 weeks ago in Decathlon in Belfast, have run in it in torrential rain since I got it, kept me bone dry everytime. Keeps you plenty warm to:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This has managed to keep me dry for most of the year, I'd highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Gavlor wrote: »
    This has managed to keep me dry for most of the year, I'd highly recommend it!

I don't know, it looks a bit heavy.

tang1 wrote: »
    See your looking for a recommendation for waterproof jacket, I could not sell this one enough. Got it about 3 weeks ago in Decathlon in Belfast, have run in it in torrential rain since I got it, kept me bone dry everytime. Keeps you plenty warm to:

Great price Tang

Falling a bit behind here - sounds like one of my races :pac::D

15th 4.2 miles @ 9:48 avg all easy miles

16th An easy 5k in the bag @ 9:37 pace - first 2 days in a row since DCM

18th 3 miles - 2 easy with 1 fast - 6:32 mile - Felt great to open up the throttle again. Fastest mile in months :)

20th 7 miles at various paces avg 8:42

Was over at the folks house for a few beers on the Saturday night. Got up for a run in the morning along the sea front from Dalkey down to the pier in Dun Laoghaire. A very windy day but I was really enjoying it. Ran down to the end of the east pier. I had planned on turning back at that point but felt good plus the thought / realisation that as long as I lived and grew up in the area I never once set foot on the west pier :eek: Unplanned decision taken to take a run over to the west pier and down it. The knees started feeling the strain after 6 miles or so so I canned it at 7 and walked the rest of the way home. Not going to be taking too many chances at the moment whilst building back up.

The watch died a little over a mile into this so the rest of it was ran with the phone unseen in my pocket recording the paces. This was ran kind as a bit of a fartlek - wind was effecting things - wanting to leg it down the length of the pier for fun etc.

25th
    5.2 miles @ 9:11 avg pace
    Work and Xmas prep got in the way over the last few days and I was itching for a run today. Had a bit of a window to go out - lashing rain and windy but it was a window to run and out I went. Wasn't looking at the watch at all as the hands were up the sleeves seeking refuge from the chill ! First mile seemed to click in very fast so I wondered had the gps signal gone a bit haywire. Copped after a while that the watch failing last time out had never been reset so the figures were totalling the bit that recorded before it died last time. Total for the day was 5.2 with 6.5 showing on the watch. Strava map is interesting as I teleport across the city mid run. :pac:

Just want to take the opportunity here to wish everyone on the forum a very happy Christmas. May 2016 be a year of great PBs for you all. :)

• Advertisement

27th

Similar to the week before. Was at the folks house on Stephens Day. Got quite drunk. :) So this was a real hangover shaker. Down along the seafront and down the pier again. This time though the impulse thing was to give it a good bit of welly and run down the pier and back at a decent pace and aim for a strava PB. This turned out to be a slightly regrettable decision as after it I required a few minutes hanging over a fence saying hi to last nights beer :P

5 miles total

29th

5 miles easy at 9:30 pace avg. Varied from 10:00 to 9:00 due to wind effects. Some crazy weather to be running in.

Today

Yet another run in severe wind. Jesus will it ever stop. Some easy miles and a couple of 2=2.5 minute spurts at speed. 2nd best ever half mile during this so a decent pace for me.

4 miles done to start the year off.

Will post up some goals for the year in the next couple of days. Need to work out some realistic ones first ;)

Happy New Year P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy New Year PM :):) Wishing you many happy and fun hours of running in 2016. Looking forward to seeing you tearing up them PBs :)

2015 progress and 2016 targets ....

Jan 2015

5k 23:55
    5 Mile 39:47
    10k 53:20
    Half Marathon 2:18:30
    Full Marathon 4:58:34

Now stand at

5k 21:21
    5 Mile 37:14
    10k 46:41
    Half Marathon 1:47:53
    Full Marathon 4:11:12
    Beer Mile ! 9:47 :pac
    Weight 12 Stone

2016 Targets !

It's clear from the above (even parking aside some timing of PBs might make them a bit soft) that endurance is a big issue for me. My shorter times don't match longer times. So 2016 is a year that I hope to bring these closer. Obviously it's a delicate one at the moment with mileage being so low currently but I'm hopeful as ever of sorting out the legs and getting some proper mileage done.

5k 20:30
    5 Mile 36:30
    10k 43:30
    Half Marathon 1:39:59
    Full Marathon 3:49:00
    Beer Mile ! 7:59 :pac
    Weight - South of 11 stone.

I know that these still don't match up too well. If anything though the optimism may lie in the 5k target. Seems quite daunting to me at the moment to hit that from where I am (PB of 21:21 but I'm not close to that now at the moment) Will of course evaluate and revisit over the course of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think you can definitely hit all those targets if you can find the time to put in a bit of decent volume, and avoid injury of course. I'll join you on that 20:30 quest sometime in the second half of the year if it's still standing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great progress in 2015, P! Best of luck for continuing to bring those times down this year.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think you can definitely hit all those targets if you can find the time to put in a bit of decent volume, and avoid injury of course. I'll join you on that 20:30 quest sometime in the second half of the year if it's still standing!

Deal !

I'm hoping the docklands 5K gets another running this year. Great course and June is a good few months away to build up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The docklands will definitely be on - it's my club race - but the date is not decided yet. Probably won't run it though as we are expected to help out on the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Great targets PM should be no bother to you

• Advertisement

03/01/2015

10 miles @ 9:10 avg pace

Great morning run with a handful of the regular (Ron and Paulie) and not regular anymore (meno :pac:) and unwelcomed ex (Quirky :p) boardises.

Said I'd try for the 10 miles planned but would can it if the knees got too sore. Of course there was no appetite to stop once going. Knee only started grumbling at 7 miles in which was progress in itself. 3 more done but not too bad discomfort wise.

Other than the knees I felt really comfortable throughout. Longest run by a good 3 miles since DCM. Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement