Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning a mule into a race horse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

So I was getting ready tonight for tomorrow's race. Asked Mrs Mule did I carry off the boards.ie top without looking like a whale. She took a photo to show that I didn't look like a whale. Threw it beside the "before" pic I mentioned and yeah there's a bit of a difference !! Enough to post a before and after shot I think. Bit more work to do of course but this is a nice half time shot.....

BDBFE007-285D-43F1-8E2A-59828B512C68-930-000000F3D74B2FC9_zps88dabedb.jpg

Actually don't care what time I do
    tomorrow anymore. :)

Fantastic PM that is some difference, you should be very proud, great achievement.

Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Half time shot? You will be like twiggy if you keep going! You look fit and healthy to me, fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Half time shot? You will be like twiggy if you keep going! You look fit and healthy to me, fair play to you.

Lol

It's a very flattering photo. And the boards top does tend to make you look skinnier. ;) I have at least another stone to get off maybe one and a half. But yeah half time is a bit of an exaggeration. Heading into the 4th quarter more appropriate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You gotta lose the goatee though man! ;-)

Well done PM. Keep up the good work and good luck tomorrow...I mean ahem. .later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jeez PM, that's a big difference. Fair play.

Best of luck today.

RedRunner wrote: »
    You gotta lose the goatee though man! ;-)

Well done PM. Keep up the good work and good luck tomorrow...I mean ahem. .later

Ha that goatee went on as a bet 10 years ago and has stuck ever since. Threatened to shave it off before but the family seem very attached to it. :)

Tell you what. If I get home under 4 hrs in DCM this year I will shave it off afterwards !

41:11
    6 min PB so not too disappointed at all :)

Full report later !

41:11
    6 min PB so not too disappointed at all :)

Full report later !

Great stuff delighted for you. We'll be having that shaving ceremony in McGrattans yet :pac:;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, nice running!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great stuff delighted for you. We'll be having that shaving ceremony in McGrattans yet :pac:;)

Cheers RR

Shaving ceremony in McGrattans lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done today PM, serious chunk off that PB. More to come off it to i believe.

Great morning for a race. Woke up tired and not in the mood for a race if I am honest which is unlike me. Possibly the side effects of the recent niggles and lack of running this week.

Packed everyone up and parked the car close to the 2.5 mile mark where the family could wait for me there before walking back down the road behind them to the finish line. Met Yaboya before the start and had a good chat with him. Nerves settled and was ready to race. Regular readers here will know all about the bulls. ;) Old bull fecked off and left the young bull to it today. Plan was therefore to head off with the sub 40's and try hang on as long as possible.

We had been waiting on the pacers to show up before trying to join the crowd at the start line. When the 40 min balloons arrived just before the start they took a position a lot further up the field than I expected and it was too late to squeeze up towards them. No worries ! - I decided that I would gradually catch up to them over the course of the first mile or two which would leave me with a little time banked or even maintain the time gap between us. I reckon I crossed the start mat about 30 seconds behind them.

First mile was a little congested. Not too bad though. I focused on the pacers balloons down the road in front of me and made sure I wasn't losing road on them. Thing was though that I was working hard yet they were pulling away slightly. Had a glance at the watch - pace was fast - too fast to be honest. I figured that they were banking a bit of time on the slight downhill start but I was already worried. I was going to struggle to hang on in first place. Banking a lot of time in mile 1 was not a good idea for me. Slowed it down a bit, let them gain a bit of ground but still went through in
    Mile 1: 7:35 :eek:

Oh sh!t I said to myself. Time to leave the pacers to it and run my own race. Second mile was a bit of a drag into the wind up Terenure Road West. Kept eye on pacers who I expected to slow down a bit but tried running to my own pace.
    Mile 2: 7:58 :)

Passed the family midway through mile 3 and although it was starting to get hard to keep up the pace a look at the video shot of me running past there looked comfortable enough. Turned down the downhill section of Templeogue Road and knew the wheels were starting to come off a bit when I didn't see any pace injection on the downhill.
    Mile 3: 8:10 :) / :(

So I hit the 4th mile still on track. I had always been confident that I could make it to 3 miles @ 8 mile pace and then it was a question of hanging on as best as I could. Tried to hang on from here but it was getting difficult now and only got worse when we turned back into the all be it slight uphill at Terenure Road West.
    Mile 4: 8:27 :(

At that stage I knew I was only 15 or so seconds off sub 40 pace and all I had to do was dig in and knock out another 8 min mile with a sprint finish. Took my spade out went digging and snapped the handle. :D Just wasn't there ! I was ready for the pain, I just couldn't get the legs to go any faster. In fact I slowed down quite a bit. Even at the finish line I found it hard to muster up any sort of sprint finish. Video footage of the finish shows me not looking too comfortable at all lol. Met Murph_D and Yaboya after the finish and was delighted to hear they both got their own PBs.
    Mile 5: 8:48 :o

Total Chip Time: 41:11
    Other unofficial PBs along the way ...
    1k 4:28
    1 mile 7:31
    2 mile 15:29
    5k 24:30

In Conclusion:
    I have to be happy with that. A 6 min+ PB is super. I knew that strategy was going to make for a hard and uncomfortable finish so no complaints there. Realistically going into the race I felt I was in 42/42.5 min shape, could do that the hard way with a chance of better or the easy way (pacing consistent all the way) As it turned out the time I got was faster than I could have done it easy so I'm happy with that choice but next time would like to be in 40 min shape in first place! Could I have dug in a bit better if pacing had of been better in the first mile ? I really don't know but I am not going to blame pacers for my race. I had emptied the tank and a slightly softer first mile would only have meant the tank emptied a little later. Many thanks to digger2d2 and the folks over at Sportsworld for a great race with a great atmosphere. I will be back next year for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work. Well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done today PM.
    Smashing stuff running such a huge PB off such a suicidal first mile.
    Will catch up with you again soon.

We'll deserved PM, great result

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done PM. Delighted for you and look forward to reading of the sub 40 on the next attempt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep, very well done. From your splits I don't think the fast first mile affected you too much - a little maybe, but you were still more or less on track well into mile four. A bit more mileage and you'll be able to sustain the faster finish, I reckon. Good report and well done on a great PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, sub 40 is there for you. Its very hard to get the pacing right I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

great work - a credit to the 'hard work' mantra.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done today PM.
    Smashing stuff running such a huge PB off such a suicidal first mile.
    Will catch up with you again soon.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Yep, very well done. From your splits I don't think the fast first mile affected you too much - a little maybe, but you were still more or less on track well into mile four. A bit more mileage and you'll be able to sustain the faster finish, I reckon. Good report and well done on a great PB.

I could agree with both of you :D
    Bottom line was I didn't have the fitness in me to take out the sub 40 this time round but I'm very happy with the progress and the big PB here.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done PM. Delighted for you and look forward to reading of the sub 40 on the next attempt!
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done, sub 40 is there for you. Its very hard to get the pacing right I find.

Yes for sure ! I know it's there for me soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb running PM - well done.

3 mile easy / recovery done last night at just under 11 min pace. No major ill effects from Sundays race. Aiming for 5 or 6 tonight.

Bit more than planned tonight but all good. :)

Turned up to a club run tonight but was left with the choice of either 5/6 miles with lads running 8 min miles - not a smart option for me - or one of the slightly slower lads (my kind of slow ;) ) who was looking to do 8 miles. I agreed to run with him with option to bail out for a 6 mile finish. Turned out I was more than comfortable and ended up knocking out 8 miles@ 10:10 average pace. Felt a bit of a doddle versus the 8 min race pace on Sunday.

Very happy with that.

4 mile fun run tonight. Avg pace 10:00 but contained 2 slower easy miles and 1 leg loosener at 8:30 pace just for a bit of fun along the way. :)

I know these paces are a bit away from most here but for me personally the fact they are being knocked out literally for fun is an indication of the progress being made. A mile at 8:30 would have near killed me a few months ago !

I've another three weeks or so where I can mess around like this before knuckling down to a marathon plan and concentrating on endurance rather than pace improvement (although pace improvement will still happen as a by product)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Firstly congrats on the progress to date. Good to see you knuckle down and put in the work. Plenty more to come if you keep doing what you are doing.

But why the marathon again, this early in your running career? You remember what happened last time. Why would you risk something similar again which would interrupt the steady progress?

My recommendation would be to forget about the office water cooler crew at work and do what is the best long term approach for you. That I believe is to keep getting your 5k and 10k times down, and keep building an endurance base. Then maybe look at a half next year with the view to doing a marathon properly in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yup. Bigtime agree w/ Chvito here. W/ the speed of progress you're making I see no reason why sub 35 for 5 miles would;t be achievable in the next few months. Marathon training will really expose you to injury and could end up in frustration.

Perfect log to read is Dave's "Sometimes I just have to get out and run" he ditched the marathon for the year and made absolutely savage improvements/ weight loss/ times everything. Worth a read as I think his approach was super super smart.

Imagine toeing the line in DCM 2015 targeting sub 3:45 or even sub 3:30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You're both forgetting one thing. We need him to complete the marathon in order to lose the David Brent goatee!!

That being said, the two lads have a very valid point. Compare your progress over the past 6 months to your lack of progress and injury issues during the 6 months of marathon training.

Fair points lads and I take them in the spirit they are intended.

It's something I want to do for myself. I don't particularly care about other peoples perceptions of what a marathon is or is not. (The water cooler crew do not come into my thought process at all ! :) )

First time round the guy in the before picture was running. Second time round it's the guy in the after pic who has significantly less chance of injury not carrying 17 stone around. I do agree that long term marathon development is better served with another year or two short distance running but I am happy to take the scenic route to a 3:30 marathon and indeed faster shorter distance times. For the moment I would simply like to complete a marathon properly trained by running the entire way comfortably rather than being half prepared, injured etc and hobbling around.

Now I know that the phrase properly trained will no doubt prompt cries of properly trained is taking two more years etc but what I mean is trained to the level of being able to run it comfortably and not trained to a 3:00 or below pace.

Last thing I want is another log derailed by debates about me doing marathons unprepared etc :D so I would respectfully request that nobody take offence by that and to respect the decision I am making.

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're both forgetting one thing. We need him to complete the marathon in order to lose the David Brent goatee!!

That being said, the two lads have a very valid point. Compare your progress over the past 6 months to your lack of progress and injury issues during the 6 months of marathon training.

I am already regretting saying that lol.

What I did say was sub 4 hours and I would. I might just have to take a leaf out of your book and go for a 4:00:01 if I am in any danger of finishing too early :D

Last thing I want is another log derailed by debates about me doing marathons unprepared etc :D so I would respectfully request that nobody take offence by that and to respect the decision I am making.

No point in me saying any more as you seem to have your mind made up.

But one point on the above. A training log on a public forum is an invitation for constructive feedback as it is an invitation for praise. All of our logs are full of suggestions from other people and full of mistakes which were pointed out by others, which we have learned from. Important to remember that.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    No point in me saying any more as you seem to have your mind made up.

But one point on the above. A training log on a public forum is an invitation for constructive feedback as it is an invitation for praise. All of our logs are full of suggestions from other people and full of mistakes which were pointed out by others, which we have learned from. Important to remember that.

Understood and appreciated. It's just that as you well know there have been occasions before where things went a bit beyond that. This log so far has seen advice and feedback the way it should be given and taken IMO I don't want it turning into a multi page battle royal again so was nipping it in the bud :) There was no intention to be dismissive of the general advice and thoughts given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Firstly congrats on the progress to date. Good to see you knuckle down and put in the work. Plenty more to come if you keep doing what you are doing.

But why the marathon again, this early in your running career? You remember what happened last time. Why would you risk something similar again which would interrupt the steady progress?

My recommendation would be to forget about the office water cooler crew at work and do what is the best long term approach for you. That I believe is to keep getting your 5k and 10k times down, and keep building an endurance base. Then maybe look at a half next year with the view to doing a marathon properly in 2 years.

Have seen you quote that water cooler marathon a couple of times. Out of interest what do you count as not a water cooler crew marathon? Is it time based, under 4 hrs, 3.45, 3.30? Or is it as described above, improve shorter distance times over a couple of years before building up to a marathon even if that marathon turns out to be between 4 1/2 to 5 hrs because you dont really have any athletic ability but just enjoy running.

Sorry for the thread hijack PM.

Weetabix wrote: »
    Have seen you quote that water cooler marathon a couple of times. Out of interest what do you count as not a water cooler crew marathon? Is it time based, under 4 hrs, 3.45, 3.30? Or is it as described above, improve shorter distance times over a couple of years before building up to a marathon even if that marathon turns out to be between 4 1/2 to 5 hrs because you dont really have any athletic ability but just enjoy running.

Sorry for the thread hijack PM.

Hasn't got anything to do with time IMO. What I mean is people who only do the marathon because they think it is impressive and they know that they will get a rake of praise from people who have no knowledge of running (a.k.a. your average person in the office). Not saying this is the case with PM, but many people run marathons in order to gain praise off others. This can't be denied.

Hasn't got anything to do with time IMO. What I mean is people who only do the marathon because they think it is impressive and they know that they will get a rake of praise from people who have no knowledge of running (a.k.a. your average person in the office). Not saying this is the case with PM, but many people run marathons in order to gain praise off others. This can't be denied.

No it can't.

What's your opinion on 26.2 bumper stickers ? :D

5 easy miles today @ 9:52 avg pace. Last mile was closer to 9:00 due to combined effects of downhill finish and getting pissed on :) which skewered it slightly. For the moment 10 min miles are comfortably easy and the first 4 were just above that.

Decided that I would leave this a little short considering that I already done 8 miles on Wednesday which was effectively an LSR and I don't want to step up too much too soon. Also have a session planned for Tuesday so it made sense to leave today as a handy 5 miles.

Loved the mile running in the rain btw. Was very refreshing and was unconsciously increasing the pace as I was enjoying the run.

5 easy miles today @ 9:52 avg pace. Last mile was closer to 9:00 due to combined effects of downhill finish and getting pissed on :) which skewered it slightly. For the moment 10 min miles are comfortably easy and the first 4 were just above that.

Decided that I would leave this a little short considering that I already done 8 miles on Wednesday which was effectively an LSR and I don't want to step up too much too soon. Also have a session planned for Tuesday so it made sense to leave today as a handy 5 miles.

Loved the mile running in the rain btw. Was very refreshing and was unconsciously increasing the pace as I was enjoying the run.

Which plan will you be following for DCM?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Which plan will you be following for DCM?

Haven't fully settled that yet. I did want a plan that had a bit of marathon pace running in it and the second novices plan here on boards has a bit of that and was successful last year. I will most likely be basing it on that but will need to change it a bit.

The biggest issue I have is that my long run can realistically only be freshly done on a Sunday morning. I am up and out for work at 5am mon-sat. I think going into the longer runs trying to do them on a Saturday afternoon / evening would be pushing it. The effect though of a Sunday LSR is that it would put Mondays club session out as I can't be doing hills and track intervals etc the day after a 12-20 mile run. The other club session is on a Wednesday evening and tends to be up to 8 miles of a run. So again it doesn't really sit 100% with any plan out there especially in earlier weeks where midweek run is shorter. I don't want to lose the benefits of the club sessions so am working out a mixed plan that might get me to some Monday sessions (by hitting the LSR earlier than Sunday) and then some of the Wednesday sessions (either by extending a scheduled shorter run a bit or later in plan when 8 miles would be called for anyway)

The talk about the Hanson method has me intrigued as well. Completely different approach but more managable for me time wise. Less support here on boards for that though !

EDIT: Before I get too tempted must read the book !

Haven't fully settled that yet. I did want a plan that had a bit of marathon pace running in it and the second novices plan here on boards has a bit of that and was successful last year. I will most likely be basing it on that but will need to change it a bit.

The biggest issue I have is that my long run can realistically only be freshly done on a Sunday morning. I am up and out for work at 5am mon-sat. I think going into the longer runs trying to do them on a Saturday afternoon / evening would be pushing it. The effect though of a Sunday LSR is that it would put Mondays club session out as I can't be doing hills and track intervals etc the day after a 12-20 mile run. The other club session is on a Wednesday evening and tends to be up to 8 miles of a run. So again it doesn't really sit 100% with any plan out there especially in earlier weeks where midweek run is shorter. I don't want to lose the benefits of the club sessions so am working out a mixed plan that might get me to some Monday sessions (by hitting the LSR earlier than Sunday) and then some of the Wednesday sessions (either by extending a scheduled shorter run a bit or later in plan when 8 miles would be called for anyway)

The talk about the Hanson method has me intrigued as well. Completely different approach but more managable for me time wise. Less support here on boards for that though !

EDIT: Before I get too tempted must read the book !

The Hanson method is different I was looking up it earlier today, I guess it just boils down to the person themselves, how they want to fit the plan into there commitments.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    The Hanson method is different I was looking up it earlier today, I guess it just boils down to the person themselves, how they want to fit the plan into there commitments.

Yeah. On one hand it seems to be more managable in that it would take less time per day and also doesn't require rest days and recoveries etc in specific slots. That suits me perfectly. On other hand it's a step up to 6 days running which I am not confident I have the endurance base present to do without risking injury.

• Advertisement

Yeah. On one hand it seems to be more managable in that it would take less time per day and also doesn't require rest days and recoveries etc in specific slots. That suits me perfectly. On other hand it's a step up to 6 days running which I am not confident I have the endurance base present to do without risking injury.

This is one of the reasons I'm doing hals novice 2, 4 days a week + 1 recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't want to lose the benefits of the club sessions so am working out a mixed plan that might get me to some Monday sessions

Maybe one of the coaches at the club could come up with a plan for you that works nicely around the club sessions?

Maybe one of the coaches at the club could come up with a plan for you that works nicely around the club sessions?

How important are sessions really for marathon training? Yes it's great at the moment to work on speed, but in a few months time, is it not just all about getting the miles in your legs and building the endurance with maybe a tempo run each week to compliment that rather than doing hill sprints etc? Maybe I'm wrong... :confused:

Is there not too much of a chance of injury building mileage week after week PLUS doing sessions?

Biggest problem I think will still be that my LSR day will mostly be Sundays so the Monday Club session (alternates track and hills) will need to take a back seat. I think club plan would have LSR on Saturday, rest on Sunday and session on Monday.

How important are sessions really for marathon training especially for a first marathon really though? Yes it's great at the moment to work on speed, but in a few months time, is it not just all about getting the miles in your legs and building the endurance with maybe a tempo run each week to compliment that rather than doing hill sprints etc? Maybe I'm wrong... :confused:

Is there not too much of a chance of injury building mileage week after week PLUS doing sessions?

I agree to a certain point. But even this years novice plan here has an occasional hill session and strides etc early on.

Ultimately endurance is key for marathon so these sessions would have to take back seat later in plan as mileage increases.

I agree to a certain point. But even this years novice plan here has an occasional hill session and strides etc early on.

Ultimately endurance is key for marathon so these sessions would have to take back seat later in plan as mileage increases.

Yep there are a few faster paced bits in the plan alright but they wouldn't be anything like an eyeballs out club session. They're fairly tame really.
    You have a month or so to pick a plan so plenty of time to get advice. No harm to talk to them in the club too as Murph says and get advice from the pros.

ps- I amended my last post to say your 2nd marathon! Sorry:o

• Advertisement

Yep there are a few faster paced bits in the plan alright but they wouldn't be anything like an eyeballs out club session. They're fairly tame really.
    You have a month or so to pick a plan so plenty of time to get advice. No harm to talk to them in the club too as Murph says and get advice from the pros.

ps- I amended my last post to say your 2nd marathon! Sorry:o

Ha it may as well be my first tbh. ;)

Ninja entry in tonight's Dunboyne 5 miler for a second swing at it.

39:37 - over the moon. :D:D:D

Report later / tomorrow.

Having a well deserved beer first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Report later / tomorrow.

Good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Report later / tomorrow.

BOOM!
    Great stuff. Enjoy the beer :-)

Report later / tomorrow.

Haha... deadly. He appeared from nowhere , ran 39:37, then slipped back into the night !

Well done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement