Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 dura ace or 2014 ultegra

• 08-01-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am on the bike 12 months now and I have joined a club and thinking of racing this year so I am looking for a second bike with carbon frame

I've seen a 2009 Orbea Orca with 7900 Dura ace that has been raced and looks like It needs new chain rings for E1500

Or new canyon CF SL with Ultegra for E2200

Is it better to go with the higher spec Orbea that's 5 years old and might need money put into it or a new bike

I've read some bad reviews about 7900

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

The orbea is over 4 years old and has been raced , forget about it.
    The 2014 ultegra will be sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

DA and Ultegra are basically the same except DA is a few grams lighter and less durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

New is the way to go and ultegra is the bedt value and most durable groupset alongside 105.
    Dura ace is when you have a bike specifically for big races only and three other bikes for training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Remember that the hubs for whatever wheels you are running now will not be compatible with your 11 speed cassette etc. You will need 11 speed wheels if you require a spare set.

105 is going 11 speed next year afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

sullzz wrote: »
    The orbea is over 4 years old and has been raced , forget about it.
    The 2014 ultegra will be sweet.

I'd be with sullz on this...

HOWEVER!!

Ask yourself are you dead set on going carbon if you go for the Canyon? There has been a swing back from carbon in the last couple of years, and if you were to make that move, Canyon (in particular) do some fantastic models..
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3285

The groupset specs on these bikes for your price range are second to none-the one above obviously has Di2 and from speaking to 2 recent converts (one is my brother!) they simply love it.

The wheels on that model are sweet also!

Didn't take a close look, but there was also a Canyon CF carbon team model there with Record 11 on it also.

I also recall when I specced the build that I did last year being told that yes, DA is just slightly lighter than Ultegra, but usually after about 2-3 yrs, that season's Ultegra will be equivalent to the DA form a couple of years back-A 2009 model will be 5 yr old technology at this stage, and a new DA chainset will be pricey if you need to replace it!

Best of luck with the decision! The Ultimate AL with Di2 was one of 3 bikes that I finally whittled the decision dow to, but if your mind is set on the carbon, I would save the extra and go for the Campag Record 11 spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

ckeego wrote: »
    I'd be with sullz on this...

HOWEVER!!

Ask yourself are you dead set on going carbon if you go for the Canyon? There has been a swing back from carbon in the last couple of years, and if you were to make that move, Canyon (in particular) do some fantastic models..
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3285

The groupset specs on these bikes for your price range are second to none-the one above obviously has Di2 and from speaking to 2 recent converts (one is my brother!) they simply love it.

The wheels on that model are sweet also!

Didn't take a close look, but there was also a Canyon CF carbon team model there with Record 11 on it also.

I also recall when I specced the build that I did last year being told that yes, DA is just slightly lighter than Ultegra, but usually after about 2-3 yrs, that season's Ultegra will be equivalent to the DA form a couple of years back-A 2009 model will be 5 yr old technology at this stage, and a new DA chainset will be pricey if you need to replace it!

Best of luck with the decision! The Ultimate AL with Di2 was one of 3 bikes that I finally whittled the decision dow to, but if your mind is set on the carbon, I would save the extra and go for the Campag Record 11 spec
    Thanks for that ckeego

I hadnt considered AL to be honest but having looking at that attatchment you sent I will definitley have to look again

Thats some bike for the money

To be honest I just thought carbon is better all round and didnt look at any alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Remember that the hubs for whatever wheels you are running now will not be compatible with your 11 speed cassette etc. You will need 11 speed wheels if you require a spare set.

105 is going 11 speed next year afaik.

I think a lot of people have been misinformed re 11 speed, it will fit absolutely fine on most freehubs (mavic,zipp etc). the exception is shimano's own 10 speed specific freehubs.

In regard to 105 11 speed shimano usually announce in in the autumn for general release a year ahead . I wouldn't expect 11 speed 105 if it comes out to be on bikes until jan 2016

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's minimal difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra.

If you're buying a new bike, your decision should be mainly focused around the frame. Then the wheels. Groupset comes a very distant third in terms of impact on how it rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

Frankly I think the Orbea is overpriced at €1500 for a 5 year old bike so it's not really a fair comparison! Personally love the silky feel and "bling" factor of Dura Ace and would prefer new older model DA to new latest Ultegra but that's probably a subjective rather than objective viewpoint!
    Certainly the Canyon would be the better of the two choices that you've offered!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

I wouldn't buy a 5 year old bike whatever the spec (personal view) .......... it would have been treated fairly harshly if its been raced, no matter what the owners says ............ also if you are buying the new bike as your bike for everything the new 11sp is the way to go, if you have other wheels that are 10sp there is no way of converting them to 11sp with Shimano at present so bear that in mind .......... have a look at the Canyon outlet page on their website as they have some killer deals on last years top end bikes various 10sp groupsets were avaialble ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

New Shimano certainly looks a lot nicer than the old stuff that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I have the 11sp DA and the ONLY wheels it works with is Mavic and the new Shimano 11sp specific wheels. I would expect the latest wheels to be coming in Shimano 11sp width but you'd have to check first. Zipps, Easton's, Lightweights all needed new freehubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I have the Ultegra 11 speed on my cyclocross bike (a Canyon) and also an Ultegra/DA mix on the 'good' bike. The shifting is really excellent, braking also and I think you would probably be going for an inferior set up if you were to go for 2009 DA. I was running campag 11-speed previously and just needed to get a new free hub for my Ksirium SLs-not terribly expensive (€39) and super easy to fit. Anyway, go for the Ultegra.

Advertisement