Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught by the clamper depite having paid!

Options
  • 08-01-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I parked in Raheny village a few weeks back and paid for my parking. Put the ticket on the dashboard and went to the bank. As I was leaving the car I saw the clamper arrive and he parked next to my car.
    When I came back I had been clamped and when I went to see how this was possible the ticket was on the floor of the car. So, yes, it was not properly displayed. The clamper man was still there so I asked him about it and he said appeals have to be online, but you have to pay 1st. So I paid €120 and left.

I appealed online and on Monday heard back that my appeal had been denied as the ticket was not properly displayed. I can appeal a second time to the Independent Parking Appeals Service but there is a cost of €20 which will be refunded if the appeal is successful.

Should I keep trying? Or am I just in the wrong and should have checked my parking ticket more carefully???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I hate clamping but why was the ticket on the floor? I always make sure it's properly displayed just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Whats to say the ticket was even there ? (from the clampers pov)

You pay for it for a reason.

Don't get me wrong i hate clampers but still this is common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

spida wrote: »
    Should I keep trying? Or am I just in the wrong and should have checked my parking ticket more carefully???

You won't win the second one either, you didn't have the ticket displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Everyone should buy a Skoda as they have a little clip on the windscreen to hold ticket so this never happens.

I would say the appeal is a bit like appeal process of Dun Laoghaire where they screw you for every cent then take the property tax build another lovely building with all of our money so they can sit in luxury with their feet up and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Everyone should buy a Skoda as they have a little clip on the windscreen to hold ticket so this never happens.

Haha mine had this too, so handy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

€120 ? Were they private clampers ?

Either way, you didn't take enough care to have the ticket properly displayed so tbh it's tough but that's the way it goes. If they are private clampers yoou don't have a chance in hell of getting it refunded, their "appeals panel" consists of a standard letter and a rubbish bin for your appeals letter (most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Do these guys need to keep a log of the date and time they begin to clamp the car at? If spida produced the parking ticket to the Independent Parking appeals service that showed he/ she was covered at the time they were clamped would they not be successful.

I hate clampers also by the way....scum of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I would say the appeal is a bit like appeal process of Dun Laoghaire where they screw you for every cent then take the property tax build another lovely building with all of our money so they can sit in luxury with their feet up and do nothing.

My last car Volvo S40 has one of those too...I never knew what it was for, I assumed just for small documents if you wanted, silly me :P.
    Learn something new everyday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

I parked in Raheny village a few weeks back and paid for my parking. Put the ticket on the dashboard and went to the bank. As I was leaving the car I saw the clamper arrive and he parked next to my car.
    When I came back I had been clamped and when I went to see how this was possible the ticket was on the floor of the car. So, yes, it was not properly displayed. The clamper man was still there so I asked him about it and he said appeals have to be online, but you have to pay 1st. So I paid €120 and left.

I appealed online and on Monday heard back that my appeal had been denied as the ticket was not properly displayed. I can appeal a second time to the Independent Parking Appeals Service but there is a cost of €20 which will be refunded if the appeal is successful.

i remember reading somewhere that the independent parking appeals service is not so independent.... remember these are private companys not goverened by anyone....your best bet is probably to bring a small claims case against them.

Everyone should buy a Skoda....

So many people on this forum do buy Skoda it would seem....don't be encouraging the rest of them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do these guys need to keep a log of the date and time they begin to clamp the car at? If spida produced the parking ticket to the Independent Parking appeals service that showed he/ she was covered at the time they were clamped would they not be successful.

I hate clampers also by the way....scum of the earth
    All that would prove is that someone bought a ticket. Not necessarily the op.

All that would prove is that someone bought a ticket. Not necessarily the op.

Fair point but the way I'd look at is that the overwhelming likelihood was that the OP bought the ticket.

Scratch the thought though...if the independent Parking Appeals Service is far from independent as other posters are implying then the whole effort is probably in vain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So many people on this forum do buy Skoda it would seem....don't be encouraging the rest of them:D

Go on you know you want one join us even if its just for the ticket holder join us skoda owners....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

**** lesson to learn but you have to be careful to ensure that the ticket is viewable on the dash after you lock your car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've had a Skoda for 4 years and never realised that's what it's for :o

Valves have them too. I've one on each side in my s80:-)

The safrane had them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just that one glance back as you walk away would have saved you 120, sorry but it was not displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    **** lesson to learn but you have to be careful to ensure that the ticket is viewable on the dash after you lock your car.

Yep, it's a rotten thing to have happen to esp when the OP did the right thing. Closing the door after putting the ticket on the dash can create a draught that lifts the ticket and sends it flying, or even just on a windy day, it can get blown around. I always check the ticket is visible after closing the door, just to avoid exactly what happened to the OP.

An expensive lesson, unfortunately.
    @OP, I guess you could chance an appeal if you have a ticket that covers the time the car was clamped, but you can't prove that ticket was one you bought yourself, and not one you managed to get post facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Personally I would have used a clamp master key:

CE_GS_EMC_Approval_Angle_Grinder.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Zen 2nd wrote: »

So paying is not acceptable defence to appealing and being overturned

Ok it wasnt displayed correctly, he had to pay but appeal and then show it was paid, how likely is it this person then went and located someone that had paid and was willing to give up their ticket, this sounds patently unfair.

Added to that, there is usually no longer a sticky label anymore to allow tickets to be stuck to the windscreen, ok, I check, I have a little clip in my windscreen but thats not something thats present in most cases, but surely the whole purpose of this is to catch those that dont pay.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    So paying is not acceptable defence to appealing and being overturned

Ok it wasnt displayed correctly, he had to pay but appeal and then show it was paid, how likely is it this person then went and located someone that had paid and was willing to give up their ticket, this sounds patently unfair.

Added to that, there is usually no longer a sticky label anymore to allow tickets to be stuck to the windscreen, ok, I check, I have a little clip in my windscreen but thats not something thats present in most cases, but surely the whole purpose of this is to catch those that dont pay.
    It's pay and display. You have to do both. The first on its own isn't good enough.

it'd be very easy to get someone else's ticket when they are leaving and using it to claim you had paid.im sure a couple of other people would come and get their cars while your waiting for the clampers to come release you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

It's pay and display. You have to do both. The first on its own isn't good enough.

it'd be very easy to get someone else's ticket when they are leaving and using it to claim you had paid.im sure a couple of other people would come and get their cars while your waiting for the clampers to come release you.

so how long before the push to increase revenue forced by the absolute compliance of the customer will cause the clampers to say a ticket isnt displayed? do they take pictures? I'll recommend people start taking snaps of their tickets in the windows.
    pay and display, ok but the purpose is to get people to pay for the space, the person has done this and an appeal is just brushed aside, Ive been accused of cynicism, but I will be taking a picture of any parking tickets in future.Pretty ****ty and unreasonable to overturn someones appeal, how many are turning up with tickets, very few Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Hence the sticky backs, who's to say 'car with genuine sticker' didn't just pass it on!!..... I can see where they're coming from..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

1. I appealed a ticket in DL and won.

2. That 'lovely building' includes a public sitting room. ;)

@OP - I'm afraid I can't really see you getting anywhere if the ticket wasn't displayed. It's worth getting into the habit of always checking the ticket after you lock the car, as closing the door can blow it off the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Thanks all for your posts. I think the consensus between you all is that the €20 for the appeal would be more money down the drain. I think you might be right.

The clamping company give you access (on their website) to the photos they took of your entire dashboard proving that the ticket was not there so you don't have to take your own.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks all for your posts. I think the consensus between you all is that the €20 for the appeal would be more money down the drain. I think you might be right.

The clamping company give you access (on their website) to the photos they took of your entire dashboard proving that the ticket was not there so you don't have to take your own.

Thanks again all.
    Just out of interest, did the guy who clamped the car actually see the valid ticket at any point? Ie, if asked, would he be able to confirm that you did indeed have a valid ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Yes, he was standing by his car as we returned. My wife picked the ticket off the floor and went straight over to him with it. Bare in mind that he was parked in the NEXT parking bay to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That area outside EBS is notorious for Clamping, maybe carry bluetac and tac it to the back of your ticket to stop it falling next time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is why I always glance at the windscrean after I close the door, to make sure the ticket is where it needs to be.
    Never had any problems with clamping yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ticket.jpg

Advertisement