Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap hdd

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a used 12gb ps3 from gamestop but can't see the ssd getting me far. I read that they are designed for easy hdd swapping so I can upgrade the capacity. Everything I've read says that this shouldn't void warranty but gamestop is telling me different.

Does anyone have any experience with this, is the warranty sticker over the drive bay?

Comments

Changing the hdd will definitely not affect your warranty. If you get the 12gb ps3 you will have to buy a caddy for the hdd, it doesn't come with one. Easy to install and the ps3 will copy everything over very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Is the drive thats in the bay not attached to a caddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Marsden wrote: »
    Is the drive thats in the bay not attached to a caddy?

There is no drive preinstalled on the 12gb models its hdd bay is empty, the 12 gig's is a chip soldered onto the superslim's motherboard and becomes inactive and inaccessable when you install a new hdd as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi, don't want to hijack the op's thread, but I'm having the same problem with my son's PS3. I know it's a 37 MB drive, (I think), but he needs more space, as this Christmas saw a big increase in the amount of games played and therefore, more games saved. If anyone can tell me what to do, I'd be delighted, but in very, very simple terms please, as I'm useless as a techie. Thanks in advance, cheers, Bof No1.

Hi Sugarman, thanks for the fast post. My older son had the PS3 for the past 3 or 4 years, but he's in Aus now and so I'm stuck. Sorry, but what's a PS3 'slim' and going by the other posts on this thread, with mine being a 37MB? machine, will it still need a HDD mounting bracket, or will that be needed for the new HDD? Also, what size, as in MB, is a 2.5" Sata HDD? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really that bad, thanks again.

• Advertisement

Many thanks Sugarman, that's about as simple an explanation as you can get and suits me down to the ground. Also, thanks for the pointer as regards the internet, "Dooh", shows how untechie I am. Cheers.

Advertisement