Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do new printers come with ink cartridges inside?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

It's been years since I bought a new printer.

My current printer is/has been out of ink for yonks. I went to price some online and it's a small fortune.

Someone suggested that I would be better off buying a new printer as they all come with ink cartridges contained, even though they are not full...is this true?

I had a quick look on the PC World website and there's a Canon All-In-One for €39.99, which is a fair bit less than replacing cartridges for my existing printer.

It also has a faster page per minute time, a quiet mode (mine makes such a racket and is incredibly slow) and it has some fine droplet/xl cartridge option which seems to be a money saver. It's the Canon Pixma mg2450 model and after a comparison on cartridge prices, they do infact work out a good deal cheaper.

Would I be better buying a new one...€39.99 seems like a bargain (but it would be a bigger bonus if it did in fact come with cartridges contained).

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

I should also add that my current printer just prints, it's not an all-in-one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

New printers do come with ink cartridges but be warned, they are test cartridges and only contain something like half full ink so they will run out pretty quickly.

Depending on your requirements I'd say a nice cheap laser printer is better bang for buck, they use toner as as opposed to ink in the cheap deskjet printers. Most manufactures of the deskjet printers sell them so cheap and ten screw you for the replacement ink. A standard ink cartridge will give you a yield of Approx 128 pages whereas you can buy toner for laser printers that give a yield of 2000 pages. Toner for that reason is a little more expensive but the return is much better quality and bang for buck too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Be careful with cheap lasers too, I checked the price of an HP earlier today, and the toner is €82 for 1600 pages, which is 5 cents a page just for the toner, that's a high price to print monochrome! The printer is only about €100, so it looks initially attractive.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Be careful with cheap lasers too, I checked the price of an HP earlier today, and the toner is €82 for 1600 pages, which is 5 cents a page just for the toner, that's a high price to print monochrome! The printer is only about €100, so it looks initially attractive.

I changed my print setting to draft, print quality is fine and get more out of the toner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Thanks everyone. I print very, very little, I wouldn't be bothered with a laser/toner, we have one at work and it costs a fortune in toner to run. I know we print a lot but the last toner cost €212.00 and after a week the ink was beginning to fade on the page.

As long as new printers come with test cartridges that would do me for now. My existing printer has been out of ink for over a year and this is the first time I have actually had to print something.

Thanks for your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks everyone. I print very, very little

Then just buy a basic HP inkjet for about €30

And when you run out of ink, buy a new printer :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know btw ... I don't have a disc drive on my new laptop, what happens if the new printer comes with a software disc and I can't install...or have things moved on since I last bought a printer?

unkel wrote: »
    Then just buy a basic HP inkjet for about €30

And when you run out of ink, buy a new printer :)

That's exactly what someone suggested to me and I was like 'are you sure, sure that new printers come with ink?' and they were like 'yep, definitely'. I thought it was too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does anyone know btw ... I don't have a disc drive on my new laptop, what happens if the new printer comes with a software disc and I can't install...or have things moved on since I last bought a printer?

There's now a network called the internet and you can download the drivers from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnnyBoyxxx

If your laptop doesn't have a disc drive it must be fairly new and therefore is probably installed with windows Vista or 7. In either case, both these op systems have generic drivers pre-installed for nearly all popular printers and if not will generally be able to find it for you via internet, automatically.

If your laptop doesn't have a disc drive it must be fairly new and therefore is probably installed with windows Vista or 7. In either case, both these op systems have generic drivers pre-installed for nearly all popular printers and if not will generally be able to find it for you via internet, automatically.

Thanks, yes I have Windows 8. I followed the on-screen instructions and after 45 mins the software downloaded and everything was fine.

The only problem I have now is that when I went to print a document from MS Word it wouldn't print the border at the bottom of the page.

Top, left and right were okay. I spent ages messing with page margins to no avail. This probably isn't the place but any ideas? I didn't have this problem with my old printer before, even though it's ages since I used it, I use a company headed paper that has a border the whole way around and I have never had this issue before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks, yes I have Windows 8. I followed the on-screen instructions and after 45 mins the software downloaded and everything was fine.

The only problem I have now is that when I went to print a document from MS Word it wouldn't print the border at the bottom of the page.

Top, left and right were okay. I spent ages messing with page margins to no avail. This probably isn't the place but any ideas? I didn't have this problem with my old printer before, even though it's ages since I used it, I use a company headed paper that has a border the whole way around and I have never had this issue before.

Is there a "Borderless" setting you can pick in the Printer Properties? (Go to File->Print and in the print dialog press the properties button beside your printer)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try saving the document as a pdf and then printing it. Actually you'll know where that's going to work or not from the print preview in Acrobat.

Advertisement