Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my thoughts on gaming today

• 09-01-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

video games nowadays even by nintendo may get 10/10 scores in my own opinion but they all other video games companies nowadays are missing something that just makes me wanna replay it over and over again about 50 times like twilight princess or any other zelda game or mario game or pokemon or metroid game. nintendo wii had a good selection that I just loved so much that I replayed them over 50 times in fact I loved TP so much I used to beat it in three days straight. don't get me wrong I ain't a nintendo fanboy as there are games that I really loved the same way like shadow of the colossus, metal gear solid, resident evil, silent hill, fatal frame, goldeneye 64. remember that first feeling back when first playing ocarina of time or majoras mask or on the SNES playing mario world or super metroid or a link to the past. what helps make all these games special perhaps perfect gameplay, story, controls, and all that what makes a good game, but what makes a game special is atmosphere, tension, epicness, emotion, excellent soundtrack, excellent and rememberable characters. don't get me wrong some games nowadays do manage that but its so rare everyone just wants to be the next COD. like COD is good but its not that epic and lacks atmosphere. but something like shadow of colossus or twilight princess has a charm that it will never matched. like nothing is more epic then climbing around a giant colloosus back or hanging on to dear life on the phoenix or dragon colossus or the freaky big eyed colossus ( I know they have names but this is what I first thought when I originally encountered them) or how about twilight princess or any other zelda game that makes you feel like part of a legend, unlike skyrim in which the dragons become easy, annoying and repetitive (the only unique one is the final one but that's because he is voiced by the irish james bond) what I am trying to say is video games nowadays have just lost there charm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

video games nowadays even by nintendo may get 10/10 scores in my own opinion but they all other video games companies nowadays are missing something that just makes me wanna replay it over and over again about 50 times like twilight princess or any other zelda game or mario game or pokemon or metroid game. nintendo wii had a good selection that I just loved so much that I replayed them over 50 times in fact I loved TP so much I used to beat it in three days straight. don't get me wrong I ain't a nintendo fanboy as there are games that I really loved the same way like shadow of the colossus, metal gear solid, resident evil, silent hill, fatal frame, goldeneye 64. remember that first feeling back when first playing ocarina of time or majoras mask or on the SNES playing mario world or super metroid or a link to the past. what helps make all these games special perhaps perfect gameplay, story, controls, and all that what makes a good game, but what makes a game special is atmosphere, tension, epicness, emotion, excellent soundtrack, excellent and rememberable characters. don't get me wrong some games nowadays do manage that but its so rare everyone just wants to be the next COD. like COD is good but its not that epic and lacks atmosphere. but something like shadow of colossus or twilight princess has a charm that it will never matched. like nothing is more epic then climbing around a giant colloosus back or hanging on to dear life on the phoenix or dragon colossus or the freaky big eyed colossus ( I know they have names but this is what I first thought when I originally encountered them) or how about twilight princess or any other zelda game that makes you feel like part of a legend, unlike skyrim in which the dragons become easy, annoying and repetitive (the only unique one is the final one but that's because he is voiced by the irish james bond) what I am trying to say is video games nowadays have just lost there charm

Looking at my steam profile the last three games I played were Rogue legacy, bastion and Mark of the ninja. All three games have charm in the bucketloads. I think you are looking in the wrong place perhap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You're looking back with rose tinted glasses and picking out the best in show games on each console. Of course it looks better now, you forget the stacks of Mario clones that were on shelves, the rubbish 3D games, the Final Fantasy rip offs.

All that epicness and atmosphere is still there, but there are never going to be that many absolutely amazing games. In a few years you'll look back at stuff like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, etc. and pine for the PS3/360 days, because there are so many of whatever the popular game style of the next gen is, again forgetting that the few great games are as good as anything great from previous generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Consideiring you have a hard on for Zelda TP i found the post very hard to read as you should have put some gaps between the lines. Also the new Zelda is post to be very good on the 3DS.

See games have changed a lot form the N64 area where is was about the single player but games now in my view is all about multiplayer and each online game brings something different to it.

There has been many a good single player games lately. Ass Creed 4 is something you should look at as you like finding new things and going around the world. To me its very like your hard on zelda the wind waker.

Another my game of the year for 2013 is The last of us. Its just fantastic as you really feel for everything you have to do in the game and its hard to be leave that it came out on a 7 year old games console.

Then if you love a great story again you have The Walking Dead witch i hate the TV show i love the game its just so good everything you do means something.

Having gotting a go off the New mario on the Wii U my god its just maybe the best Mario i played and it is a 10 out of 10 game as every Lv is so different then the next and you have no idea what you are going to get next playing it.

CoD is no masterpiece but people love playing it online as its a very easy game to pick up and play any time.

To me the Video game market is a lot bigger then it was a few years ago and with so many different types of games out there. There has to be something to make you happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The one great thing about retro gaming is delving into the rich history of games without the comfort of rose tinted spectacles.
    You find some sacred cows are actually pants, Legend of the Dragoon for example, but some of the clones are pure gold, Glover on the N64 say.
    Gaming now still has charm too, but it's just as elusive as it ever was, only hindsight makes it clearer which games were worthy of your time.
    In 6 years time you'll be looking at the PS4 and Xbox One and marvelling at how many great games there were and why can't these new machines from Sony and MS measure up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I know right... when i was a kid, toys were so good... they just had that charm... like the TMNT action dolls, i could play with them for hours... nowadays... etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

spacebar.........please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

dreamers75 wrote: »
    spacebar.........please.
    Well, ok.

Space-Bar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    spacebar.........please.
    + CAPS Lock + paragraphs + spellcheck + every kind of formatting.

I'm not a stickler for grammar, spelling or formatting...but it's that messy I won't even attempt to read it all.

Must have been written on a mobile device of some kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

SeantheMan wrote: »
    + CAPS Lock + paragraphs + spellcheck + every kind of formatting.

BUT WHY CAPS LOCK?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Seven lines before a full stop, and for that reason, I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Gaming these days seems to be all about FPS and single player games, brin back split screen coolboarders is what I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW39Eu1nB7eyRF4CNS3TZWEx1eqAwuQx9CbwO4RgGdx5np5fUO6Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I did what I could.
    Video games nowadays, even by Nintendo, may get 10/10 scores in my own opinion. But all the other video game companies nowadays are missing something that just makes me wanna replay it over and over again about 50 times, like Twilight Princess or any other Zelda game, Mario pre-eminent game, Pokemon or Metroid game.

The Nintendo Wii had a good selection which I loved so much I replayed them over 50 times, in fact I loved TP so much I used to beat it in three days straight. Don't get me wrong I ain't a Nintendo fanboy as there are games that I really loved the same way like Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Goldeneye 64.

Remember that feeling back when first playing Ocarina of Time or Majoras Mask or on the SNES playing Mario World, Super Metroid or A Link to the Past. What helps make all these games special is perhaps perfect gameplay, story, controls, and all that which makes a good game. But what makes a game special is atmosphere, tension, epicness, emotion, excellent soundtrack, excellent and memorable characters.

Don't get me wrong some games nowadays do manage that but it's so rare, everyone just wants to be the next COD. COD is good but it's not that epic and lacks atmosphere. Something like Shadow of the Colossus or Twilight Princess has a charm that will never be matched. Nothing is more epic than climbing around a giant colossus back, hanging on to dear life on the phoenix colossus, pre-eminent dragon colossus or the freaky big eyed colossus (I know they have names but this is what I first thought when I originally encountered them) or how about Twilight Princess or any other Zelda game that makes you feel like part of a legend, unlike Skyrim in which the dragons become easy, annoying and repetitive (the only unique one is the final one but that's because he is voiced by the Irish James Bond).

What I am trying to say is video games nowadays have just lost their charm.

You'll forgive any oversights, I trust, due to the current hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I remember playing ghost recon only a few years back and random people in random rooms had so much respect for the host because he had a great connection and people could play in a full room with grenades on and only a bit off lag .
    Everyone would know each other and respect each other .
    Sometimes youd message a host to see if there was any people he didnt know in game so he could ask them to leave or just kick them depending .
    You just don't get that anymore
    kids just wanna shout down the mic
    blokes just want you to hear there kids crying.

maybe im just old and not able for the trash talk

I was able to read it due to the re-edit.
    There are no games I ever want to play 50 times.....even 10 times over.
    I also don't believe that anyone has played any game with a relevant story over 50 times (you can do the likes of Street Fighter etc of course)
    I disagree with most of OPs points though.
    Thanks for editing btw, gold star for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I was able to read it due to the re-edit.
    There are no games I ever want to play 50 times.....even 10 times over.
    I also don't believe that anyone has played any game with a relevant story over 50 times (you can do the likes of Street Fighter etc of course)
    I disagree with most of OPs points though.
    Thanks for editing btw, gold star for you ;)

I like to replay games but probably would stop at 2-5 times myself unless it was a rogue like game. I love those and will play them over and over until my fingers bleed.

Also, didn't read the op I got a few words in and went cross eyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OP You're just getting old.

OP You're just getting old.
    :eek::p

You'd think so, but going by post history, he's not even done his leaving cert yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

astonaidan wrote: »
    Gaming these days seems to be all about FPS and single player games, brin back split screen coolboarders is what I say

Main topic boring. Soooo..

Cool boarders v 1080

Go.

For me it's 1080 every time. What a great game. Not easy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Really enjoying persona 4 golden which is just as good as anything Ive played in the past.
    Your tastes change over time, I cant play rts games anymore but I use to love them. I loved final fantasy 7 but dont have the time to play the new ones as they seem drawn out. I think many of us just dont have the time to sink into games that we had as kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement