Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring bulbs in parallel

Options
  • 09-01-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi. I'm not sure whether I've posted this in the right place. If not sorry.
    My enquiry is for my son. He has a project to do in school on parallel wiring and doesn't understand it. Obviously neither do I.
    He needs to know how to wire up 6 bulbs in parallel. 3 across and 2 down. He needs a power source. A switch. So can anyone tell me how to do this so I can understand it. You can take it that I know nothing about wiring except the colours of the wires in a plug. Is there a site that can explain this or even better someone to actually tell me. Meaning Green yellow go here because... Brown go here because...
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Will he be using mains 220 volt? or 12 volt.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Will he be using mains 220 volt? or 12 volt.

Mains. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not in the right place unfortunately :(

Also this does not make proper sense to me
    He needs to know how to wire up 6 bulbs in parallel. 3 across and 2 down.

It implies that there are pairs of bulbs in series .... I think a bit better explanation would ensure no misunderstandings.

Also you should specify what type of bulbs ....... mains electric or something like 12 volt car bulbs or what?

This *might* be a better location for your enquiry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056835499

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Parallel circuit >>
    Have a look at the second circuit>>>
    http://www.berkeleypoint.com/learning/parallel_circuit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

It's unlikely that a school project would use 220 Va.c. mains voltage for obvious safety reasons.
    Please recheck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Shazer01 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm not sure whether I've posted this in the right place. If not sorry.
    My enquiry is for my son. He has a project to do in school on parallel wiring and doesn't understand it. Obviously neither do I.
    He needs to know how to wire up 6 bulbs in parallel. 3 across and 2 down. He needs a power source. A switch. So can anyone tell me how to do this so I can understand it. You can take it that I know nothing about wiring except the colours of the wires in a plug. Is there a site that can explain this or even better someone to actually tell me. Meaning Green yellow go here because... Brown go here because...
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

I have done a drawing here using standard electrical symbols.
    It shows 3 sets of 2 lamps.
    Lamps A & B are connected in series with each other.
    But A & B are connected in parallel with lamps B & C and B & C are connected in parallel with D & E.

From this you should be able to work everything out.

LampsinParallel.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The last drawing is valid, but we're being asked to make several assumptions that may not be correct.

The supply voltage and the voltage of the lamps is critical, if the voltage of the supply and the lamps is the same, then we have to work slightly differently, to achieve the required result.

shazer01, can you try and clarify exactly what's required, is it something like the face of a dice, with 6 lamps on it, and the requirement is to have parallel wiring to all of the lamps, or are the lamps designed to work off a different supply voltage, so need to be a combination of series and parallel in order to work.

Once we know that, it should be possible to provide some guidance.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

He needs to know how to wire up 6 bulbs in parallel. 3 across and 2 down

That does not say
    wire 3 pairs of bulbs in parallel with each pair in series ..... which is what the above drawing shows ....

you might also interpret it as

two sets of 3 bulbs in series, with the two sets wired in parallel.

None of which is "6 bulbs in parallel"

Maybe what is required is to position the bulbs physically so they show as two lines of three bulbs, but with all six wired in parallel ..... that would more accurately answer the question posed ...... "6 bulbs in parallel. 3 across and 2 down"

The requirement needs to be properly defined, else any proposed answer is more likely to be wrong than right.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I think we're making a lot of assumptions about the OPs experience with electrickery. Got to start somewhere so I thought this may help a bit. If it's too simple, sorry, I've assumed high ignorance and high intelligence.

(For the pedants the following is a Gross generalisation - please go with it for a bit.)

OP:

Very quick guide.

There are many different types of electrics.

The two main ones are:

1) the type in your house

2) the type in your car

The stuff in your house will kill you if you mess with it. It's much more powerful than the car stuff, and comes out of the wire like a constant pulse, like a massive heart beat. This is called "AC". (It means Alternating Current, if you really want to know)). Aside from wiring plugs, and changing light bulbs, leave it alone for now.

The stuff in the car is (generally - there are a few dangerous exceptions near the engine) much more gentle, and usually won't kill you. It flows like a little hose pipe, and is called "DC" (direct current).

This is why we think that the project for the young lad is probably DC - it's the tamer stuff.

Can you post up the exact requirement? Or photo the homework journal/text book and post that?

Fair play for getting stuck in and helping out with the homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

what type of bulbs? daffodils? tulips? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement