Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia. I have just barely enough points. How many points did people get in with?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm going for this course on the basis of my Leaving Cert points and also as a mature student.

I have 435 points and last year the course require a minimum of 425.

I was just wondering if anybody's gotten in to the course through CAO with just enough points like I have.... or do you generally need to be far above the points level to secure a place?

Oh and also, is there a lot of programming involved in this course?

Thanks in advance for any info!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

last year the course require a minimum of 425

This means that the last person accepted on the course had 425 points.

If you had applied and received 435 points you would have got a place.

Points are determined by demand for a course and in general points are not a reflection of how difficult a course is but rather how popular the course.

As well as having the points you also need to ensure you have the minimum requirements for that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

amen wrote: »
    This means that the last person accepted on the course had 425 points.

If you had applied and received 435 points you would have got a place.

Points are determined by demand for a course and in general points are not a reflection of how difficult a course is but rather how popular the course.

As well as having the points you also need to ensure you have the minimum requirements for that course.

Thanks Amen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Joke of a course if you ask me anything. I personally, would not recommend. The course syllabus is has changed twice now in the last few years. The standard of lecturing is shockingly bad, apart from one or two, the rest are brought in from that specific industry.

Too much group work, not enough lecture hours (12-15hrs a week), not enough lecture notes. The course is somewhat flakey and needs a good revision. It's a three course, but really, you could do it within a year.

Regarding programming, you do HTML, PHP, MySQL, not like the standard of a computer science course, so don't worry there.

Any questions, just ask :)

Thanks GeneralC!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

It's really down to demand, as has been said. When I started, demand was really high and they actually had to open up more places on the course to accommodate this. I think the year before I got in there were 50 places available, they then extended it to 60. I think the points went down the following year.

• Advertisement

It's really down to demand, as has been said. When I started, demand was really high and they actually had to open up more places on the course to accommodate this. I think the year before I got in there were 50 places available, they then extended it to 60. I think the points went down the following year.

Thanks sarahguitar92. I got accepted after the interview a few weeks back.... so I don't need to worry about the points now I guess:)

Great to hear, hope you enjoy it! :)

Great to hear, hope you enjoy it! :)

Yeah, so far it's my number one choice... barring any mad notions coming into my head. Did you finish it?

How do you rate the course?

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Yeah, so far it's my number one choice... barring any mad notions coming into my head. Did you finish it?

How do you rate the course?

I'm going into final year in September.

I personally love it, everyone else on the course seems to as well. Most of it is very interesting, barring the odd boring module which I think every course has anyway. Sometimes it's stressful, but there's really nothing else I'd rather be doing, especially when a project turns out well.

I'd recommend getting involved in the Media Production Society as well in your free time, particularly if you're interested in radio or TV production. The experience it gives you in those areas is invaluable and you can learn a lot of skills outside of the course. I'm mainly into audio myself, and even though we do an audio production module, the stuff I've learned from presenting radio shows on DCUfm has been hugely important and I probably wouldn't have learned it otherwise.

I'm going into final year in September.

I personally love it, everyone else on the course seems to as well. Most of it is very interesting, barring the odd boring module which I think every course has anyway. Sometimes it's stressful, but there's really nothing else I'd rather be doing, especially when a project turns out well.

I'd recommend getting involved in the Media Production Society as well in your free time, particularly if you're interested in radio or TV production. The experience it gives you in those areas is invaluable and you can learn a lot of skills outside of the course. I'm mainly into audio myself, and even though we do an audio production module, the stuff I've learned from presenting radio shows on DCUfm has been hugely important and I probably wouldn't have learned it otherwise.

Thanks for your take on the course. But what do you find stressful about the course, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement