Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

child eligibility

• 09-01-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi lad's, this came up for discussion amongst a few of us last night and no one seems to have a definitive answer, if a child living in parish A starts primary school (junior infants) in parish B, is he allowed to play for parish B? having never played for any parish before and is he then allowed stay with this parish during his playing days if he so wishes? Or does the parish rule apply and he can only play for parish A unless he gets a transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I live in the parish of Doora Barefield but within the town of Ennis my daughter plays with an Ennis club having started with them in primary school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

It depends on the County Board rules. For example in Dublin you can play for any club you want but Kerry you can only play for the parish you live in. Rules differ from County to County.

Two Kerry lads took the GAA to court over it:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kerry-brothers-take-court-action-as-gaa-insists-they-play-for-parish-club-159419.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

jack77 wrote: »
    Hi lad's, this came up for discussion amongst a few of us last night and no one seems to have a definitive answer, if a child living in parish A starts primary school (junior infants) in parish B, is he allowed to play for parish B? having never played for any parish before and is he then allowed stay with this parish during his playing days if he so wishes? Or does the parish rule apply and he can only play for parish A unless he gets a transfer?

Depends on county bye laws.
    In Laois, the answer would be yes, there is a primary school "exemption" from parish rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to echo the previous posters, elligibility and transfers inside of a county are defined by the county themselves.
    In Kerry the rule is very strictly by parish where you live, but in Kildare theres a free forall more or less as illustrated by Seanie Johnson "living" at one address (i.e. flat owned by county suporters club head where letters could be sent which he would eventually receive) in Kildare and having the option to play for a club which wasnt even the nearest to where he was "living".
    Even more interesting, it was never proven he lived in Kildare. The transfer simply became binding once nobody objected after 10 days which is the rule for transfers from a club in one county to another.

for your case the rule book gives your "first club" a special status, but a school isnt a club.
    If you got your child registered with the club local to the school as a player in their GAA club and the county board doesn't object at the time (i.e. its allowed under rule to play in a different parish OR they fail to see its in a different parish to where you live) then unless I'm missing something that'll be their "first club" and they are elligible to play there till the day they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

In Wexford, it can be either. I know of kids who live in Parish A but go to school in Parish B. Some play for parish A, others would opt for B.
    The choice is often influenced by Daddy's (or Mammy's) allegiance!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement