Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford arms rumors

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

KAGY wrote: »
    heard from someone that they were at the last wedding ever in the Longford arms! Is it closing?

And someone's is looking at converting the empty shopping center into a new hotel. Don't think that will happen
    http://m.longfordleader.ie/news/local-news/hotel-plan-for-longford-town-centre-1-5779465

If, and i say if its a case of The Arms closing and a new one opening this can only be a good thing. The stories i hear about the rooms and service in The Arms are embarrassing and I dare say damaging to the town. Bad news for the staff though. But its all spoeculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

KAGY wrote: »
    heard from someone that they were at the last wedding ever in the Longford arms! Is it closing?

And someone's is looking at converting the empty shopping center into a new hotel. Don't think that will happen
    http://m.longfordleader.ie/news/local-news/hotel-plan-for-longford-town-centre-1-5779465

When I was home at Christmas they were saying the Longford arms was closing, blazers along with it. I don't think it's open at the moment. No loss anyway! There was a time when you could get a decent meal in there but in the last ten years it's gone down hill.

Haven't heard anything about the empty shopping centre. I hope they do something with it, such a shame that it is left sitting there empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heard at home over Christmas that it's only going to open for the odd function. the son probably doesn't look after it as much as the father. there was only a skeleton crew working there in the past few years anyway. it's been a very long time since i heard anything good being said about it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

heard at home over Christmas that it's only going to open for the odd function. the son probably doesn't look after it as much as the father. there was only a skeleton crew working there in the past few years anyway. it's been a very long time since i heard anything good being said about it though.

Right. So this coupled with the possible closure of Backstage due to a lack of county council support leaves Longford with what as any sort of venue?
    The Temperance Hall?

They greying of Longford continues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... They greying of Longford continues.
    Bring back Albert I say or did they tin him in the successor to Cat and Dog Foods?

• Advertisement

there was nothing proactive about the place though. every 'new' thing was a reaction to someone else in the town doing something. the gym opened after the mall was initially extended. the whole craic with the annalee hotel was a farce. with carriglass going nowhere for a while, there was just no competition or reason to react, so it just withered away.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Gym is not taking any new members. The pool hasnt been heated in days. Not a good sign I would say. Was the only decent thing about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

The 'son' ain't running it, he's long gone. Orla, the daughter has it and has being running it for a few years now. Was in there before xmas, friend had the misfortune of staying there for a night..his room was a dump.

MDFM wrote: »
    The 'son' ain't running it, he's long gone. Orla, the daughter has it and has being running it for a few years now. Was in there before xmas, friend had the misfortune of staying there for a night..his room was a dump.

should've said "didn't". it's old news that James had nothing to do with it for a few years, but when he did he didn't seem too interested either.

Advertisement