Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance VBA development rates

Options
  • 09-01-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have been asked to update some VB applications for a company.
    Basically the reports they are creating in excel need to be updated and some new features added.
    This is the first time I have done such work so I haven't a clue what I should charge as an hourly rate. While I have done some VB development in the past, I am very new to this.
    The client has estimated there is around 20 hours work. If we implement everything on the 'wish list' it will likely be more (maybe 30 hours.)

Can anybody advise what the going rate would be to charge for such work?
    I am happy to get the experience so won't be looking to charge a very high rate but I don't want to undercut myself too much either!
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Guys in banks get silly money for vba stuff (£500+/day), but that is more about domain experience.

The real answer is "whatever you can get". Probably e300/day minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DxbCat

Thanks for the advice.

I've been asked to give a per hour rate so what do you think. Maybe e30/hour+?
    I'm aware of the fact that I will be slower than somebody with more experience so will charge by hour but will keep the rate lower.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

DxbCat wrote: »
    The client has estimated there is around 20 hours work.

I'm genuinely not trying to be a smartarse, but if he can't do the work how on earth can he know how long it will take?

This is a very common minefield:

client says 20hrs x daily rate = A
    actual work takes B hours (B > 20)
    client gets bill for B x daily rate and flips

Decide on your rate, and examine the work yourself before providing a time estimate you're happy with. Provide this in writing.

Decide what you'll do if it runs over - do you charge more, or take the hit yourself? discuss & agree this with the client first.

Maintenance - what happens if your fixes break? Who's responsible? If it's you, for how long? If there's an issue in a year's time, are you still providing support? Define a support time period, and agree this with the client in advance.

It's vital to protect yourself, and your client, by agreeing this stuff up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DxbCat

Thanks for that,

Yeah I want to make sure we've agreed everything up front.
    The client does know a little about vb development so she's correct about the estimate and is totally open to suggestions I make and understands it may take longer than originally expected.

So, I'm thinking I will say e30 per hour. I'll advise it may take around 30 hours (I'm fairly confident this is the maximum) but that it could possibly run higher.
    If there are changes to make afterwards, unless it's something major, I'm happy to do them without any extra charge.

Does this seem fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Double the estimate, because they will hound you for "free support".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Development ALWAYS takes longer than you think when "client" are introduced to the equation. If you are quoting an hourly rate, make sure that the agreement is that you will track your time and invoice them for the amount.

Also get them to sign an agreement to that effect, so there is no chance you won't be paid for the time you invest. The agreement (contract) should say that. It doesn't have to be written in legalese you can just write it up in your own words.

Doesn't matter how well you know them or how trustworthy they seem. Get them to sign something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

20 hours is 2.5 days.
    Including getting to grips with the problem space.

Is there a spec.
    If I had ever agreed that something would take 20 hours I would want it pseudocoded.

Advertisement