Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roberts Raido plus iPod doc

Options
  • 09-01-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

My girlfriend is looking at buying a new radion plus iPod Doc. The one she is looking at is the Roberts Sound 66 DAB/FM Radio with iPod Dock. It will basically sit in one room. She is looking at this because we believe Roberts to be a reasonable manufacturer.

Part of the speck says 'it generates 5 watts RMS - the average measurement of a speakers output,' but I'm not to sure of what that means. Could anyone explain.

I might add that the reason for the purchase is that I bought her a Kit Sound iPod Doc for Christmas from Argos and to be honest it proved a disaster. So I'm guessing that for an easy life we are really stuck with Argos.

I'm actually argueing with them that it is 'not for for the purpose it was intended.' I could only pick up four radio stations from it and even then the sound was terriable and there didn't seem to be anyway of fine tuning the radio. So I guess I'm stuck with Argos unless I want to start a whole arguement with them as to whether it is 'fit for the purpose it was intended.' I'm assuming they could string that out.

I'd like to hear your views. In real life what does the 5 Watts RMS mean?

Kevin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is it the KitSound BoomDock you have? This has connections for external AM & FM aerials & I think comes supplied with aerials of some kind: have you connected these?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Is it the KitSound BoomDock you have? This has connections for external AM & FM aerials & I think comes supplied with aerials of some kind: have you connected these?
    Yes. The aerials leave a lot to be desired: a clip in wire for am and a similar one for FM. Neither is substantial

What is radio reception like where this thing is used? How do other radios perform?

Wouldn't be much point swapping it for something else & it turn out no better. You'd be better off getting a decent FM aerial, even install it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What is radio reception like where this thing is used? How do other radios perform?.
    Haven't really checked with other radios, will do that this weekend. Anyway I think that a modern radio should be able to work in any town in these Isles.
    My argument with Argos is that the radio is not fit for purpose.

The radio can only work with the available signal. Even if a town is supposedly served by FM broadcasts, you won't necessarily have a good enough signal for indoor reception at every location & in every building.

• Advertisement
Advertisement