Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft-like houses in Cork city?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys,

I live in Cork since 2010 now. I'm a big fan of commercial spaces remade as living units (the "loft" style").

I'd love to have a loft in Cork city, to rent or to buy (eventually).

Is any of you aware of something like this?

thanks!

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm I cant say that I do know of any but I shall ask some friends, they would be in the architect group.. Would be quite nifty alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmm I cant say that I do know of any but I shall ask some friends, they would be in the architect group.. Would be quite nifty alright.

Quite the b*stard to heat also....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not many that I can think of! Though I could think of a few commercial/industrial buildings that could make amazing living spaces.

I live in Bridge House on Patricks Quay, which is an old postal sorting office converted into apartments. They aren't huge, but have big sash windows, high ceilings with internal support beams and a combination of red brick and stone walls. Might be along the right lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Why would it be hard to heat!! unless you know someone mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Odlums building is one that could make an amazing apartment/loft block. Can you imagine apartments at the top, with floor-to-ceiling windows; and views across the river and to Montenotte hill?

20091020233524_img_2538.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My sister used to live on Wandesford quay across from the social welfare offices although I can't remember the name of the complex. Big roof beams across the ceilings in the upstairs apartments. I think they were renovated in the late nineties or so. She always loved living there and her former housemate still lives there and loves it too. On street parking can be an issue and my sister had her car vandalised several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Unfortunately, in my experience most houses and apartments for rent in Cork are manky caves overstuffed with the landlord's/landlady's recently deceased grandma's furniture. I'm currently looking to move places and the scenario is depressing - worn out carpets, beds with extremely disturbing stains, chairs and tables straight from the Jurassic.

The remade industrial building thing would be really cool - at least until the owner decided it's the right place for grandpa's half rotten, pendulum-powered cuckoo clock. And heating is overrated anyway - most people have the skewed idea they should wear short sleeves shirts at home in January...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The top floor apartments on Jacobs island have this style about them. With high ceilings and a wall of windows on one side.

Cant think of any others off the top of my head. Penthouse type apartments.

Advertisement