Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you track your Adwords/FB Ads etc clicks converted to actual orders?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

We are a B2B industrial products supplier and have only recently started to have full Adword click tracking in place. My initial shock is that the cost for cllicks so far has equalled 50% of the actual sales value. 1.9% of clicks have converted to actual sales. In contrast sales conversions form all vists ( ppc/direct/earch/organic etc) 2.94%!!

Would be very interested in the experience in others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

We are a B2B industrial products supplier and have only recently started to have full Adword click tracking in place. My initial shock is that the cost for cllicks so far has equalled 50% of the actual sales value. 1.9% of clicks have converted to actual sales. In contrast sales conversions form all vists ( ppc/direct/earch/organic etc) 2.94%!!

Would be very interested in the experience in others.

As a B"B you'd need to talk to another B2B. One thing - without any knowledge of the ads themselves - with a low rate, you might want to scrutinise the ad copy/ad message - are the ads delivering (because of the copy) the wrong end users. I mean your looking for B2B - but are consumers (non Business) clicking on the ads looking for a consumer available product?

Best thing to do there is to show the ads to people you know, outside your business and ask them what they think is the product/message behind the ad (cheap and nasty but gets some good results).

Infographic attached on rates/responses etc - its a bit cluttered - but if you study it, there are some good takeaways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Good points and have just added a bunch of negative keywords to see if that improves the qualitive. Some really interesting stuff on the infographic... would be nice to have a more "viewable" image.

Thanks

Peter
    PS here is a zoomable!! https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Social-Media/24-Hours-in-the-Google-Economy-INFOGRAPHIC/td-p/65079

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Yes adwords can be expensive. We have worked with companies that were paying €100's per week following Google's guide lines, adding loads of "keywords" not knowing that they had a bounce rate of over 95%.
    The guide lines show you how to get maximum amount of "clicks" i.e. maximise Googles profits, not how to spend the minimum amount of your money getting the highest conversion rate.
    Use Google's tutorials but just remember who they are designed to benefit and adjust accordingly.
    Getting your keyword quality score up from say 4 to 7 would halve the cost per click and get your ads more focused on your target market. So even this simple change could give a four fold improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

You really need to have a system in place and a goal for what you want to achieve, assuming or wondering what or how something affected which, is a total waste of your time and money your paying google for data be sure to grab and record every bit that you can so you can analyze-tweak-and improve I wouldn't go near google's guides as MTD stated google are in it for the profit if their business model was to help you master adword,s and spend much less on your advertising they wouldn't be in business, I myself fell fowl to adword's it was a costly learning curve that could have been avoided.I have yet to go back but I will when the time suits, have a look at prosper202 for tracking http://prosper.tracking202.com/apps/about/ if I were you I wouldn't let google have all my data while they are charging me for theirs and trust anything they dish out, Here is another great resource I am not sure if you can test your ad copy there or if you would let others see it but it's a great place to get real, and targeted, views of site user experience, landing page design with tests where people have 5 seconds to answer whatever questions you want about your design quality and it's effectiveness to gather sales and leads here is the link https://usabilityhub.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Thanks for the post. We use the afilliate monitor on our CMS to track the clicks and orders that convert from our CPC adwords campaigns. This information is then analysed in conjunction with the data provided in Google Analytics and adwwords dashboard.
    Your post has prompted the thought that it might be worth having seperate afilliate tags for each adword group. This would facilitate deeper drilling and assessment of the performance of each ad. Will get on it and see if it can be done.

Thanks

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

No bothers here these might interest you there good for retargeting, a good one for facebook https://www.perfectaudience.com/ not sure about this one http://www.adroll.com/ and http://retargeter.com/ This is great for seeing where your customers eyes and attention go on your landing pages www.crazyegg.com its cheap for what you can gain from it. Everything that your tracking like groups HAVE seperate tags to disect that data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

The thing with AdWords people know that it costs YOU the advertiser every time the add is clicked and people click and click it's like the opposition sabotaging your business, you could end up out of business.
    Google will have to rethink this method.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Thanks for the links dgerryd much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

We run quite a few campaigns and find very little evidence of multiple clicking actually being charged.
    The website analytics show landing page and where from, and we have other tracking software running as well, and it does on occasion show lots of entries from one IP address. Someone multi clicking an ad would cause this but generally this only shows as one click in the adword charges, so although not infallible Google is pretty good at curbing this type of abuse.

As it is one of their main sources of income they would need to be.

If say a competitor clicks each day you would get charged each day. To counter this you can block IP addresses

Advertisement