Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW Twin: Cylinder Head Repair

• 09-01-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently working on a 1981 R80 BMW, a boxer twin.

When removing the exhaust nuts, I found the threads severely damaged. I probably contributed some damage myself, but most of the damage dated back to years of neglect and corrosion.

Is there a way of building up the threads again on the exhaust outlet and would anyone recommend a good engineering shop that would do this type of work.

Alfonzo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Alfonzito wrote: »
    Hi all,

When removing the exhaust nuts, I found the threads severely damaged. I probably contributed some damage myself, but most of the damage dated back to years of neglect and corrosion.

Is there a way of building up the threads again on the exhaust outlet and would anyone recommend a good engineering shop that would do this type of work.

Alfonzo

I don't know of an engineering works in Ireland that will repair the stub but you'll find a few in the UK. UKGSer.com is a useful website for all things bm
    The trick for removal of a seized exhaust nut is to split it with a dremel or hacksaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

think the usual method, is having them filled with weld, drilled and then retapped

though I personally dont know of any shops that can do so Im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Thanks for the replies,

I did split the nut with a dremel, but the threads on stub and nut had galled and become very brittle.

The exhaust stub is a male thread, so the stub needs to be built up on the outside and die'd. Will hopefully find someone here to do this; appreciate the market is a bigger in the UK, but would be great if an Irish firm could do this (at a reasonable cost!!). I am pricing a used cylinder head in any case.

Regards,

Alfon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Alfonzito wrote: »
    Hi all,

Alfonzo
    Contact Leo O'Reilly, he has a vast amount of contacts in the vintage motorcycle scene, he may be able to point you in the right direction...

http://www.lor.ie/
    Leo O'Reilly Motorcycles
    60 Dorset Street Lower, Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

Hi had the same problem a few years ago , I was able to buy the "Thread" as an insert , and then get it welded onto the cylinder head , small engineering outfit in the back of the BMW owners magazine , if you have an interest i will go looking :)

Phil

• Advertisement

Phil,

I would appreciate that. I managed to get a secondhand cylinderhead on the ebay on friday, but if you could locate info on the repair, I would be very grateful.

I don't like the idea of a good head being scrapped because of a stripped thread.

regards,

Alfon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

I think it was cray engineering ,
    Cray engineering 01795 538282 in Sittingbourne in the UK

have a look here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?224000-Exhaust-Stub-repair&highlight=cylinder+head+thread+repair

Regards

Phil Gunn

Phil,

Thanks for the link and Cray Engineerings details. I have heard of Jim Cray before, he gets name checked a lot on the BMrider forum.

regards,

Alfon

Advertisement