Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV and movie files

• 09-01-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have over 300 DVD's ripped to my computer, all in mp4 format, converted with handbrake.

My girlfriends parents have Apple Tv and we'd be over every so often and we'd all stick on a movie. Now netflix is great, but there are a few annoyances, such as it has Iron man 3 but not 1 or 2 etc.

Is there any way for their Apple Tv to see my movie collection, over the internet, ideally without jailbreaking the device?

I can't leave a HD hooked up to a computer in their house with a copy of all the movies, as they only have a laptop, and with the hassle of plugging the HD in, and streaming it from the laptop, I may as well just bring the DVD...

I was thinking something along the lines of iTunes match but that's only music.

Is there anything similar or is their a way of making the Apple Tv see my home sharif as a computer on it's own network, even though its over the internet...?

iMovie theater would nearly do it, except its quite cumbersome and anything I upload eats into the 5GB limit... not great for 500GB of movies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What apple TV do you have

Apple TV2 is jail-breakable and thus you can install XBMC which will allow you to navigate via you home network to a location where the films are stored and then play then via the ATV

ATV3 is not JB so it cannot access you files on the home network

If you have an Apple Computer, you can hook the HD to it, then play it via the Laptop and then use Airplay to send it to the ATV and thus to the actual TV.

There are a couple of apps like Filebrowser that allow you to point you device ( like iphone) to a network attached device and then use airplay to send movie to the ATV and then the actual TV

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Its the ATV3

The movies are not on the home network, as I mentioned. There is also no desktop computer to leave a HD hooked to, and hooking to a laptop each time and streaming is nearly more work than using a DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

This is great solution - put plex server on your home pc / imac and plex app on an iphone or ipad.

This allows you to stream to the iphone or ipad where upon you just airplay to apple tv.

Ok you need decent internet at your home from where the upload happens but i do this with eircom fibre at present and no issues.:)

Not a bad idea!

I ideally want to eliminate all other devices, so no need for iPhone etc but I think thats not going to be possible

Stuxnet wrote: »
    You need a decent router, the speed of your actual internet connection which is dictated by your ISP has nothing to do with it. ;)

No the speed of the internet is very much a factor.

Bare in mind what I'm at, house A has the movies, house B is 20 miles away and has the apple tv. The upload speed of house A is very important.

The movies are not on the same network as the apple tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I installed air video HD on my Mac Mini that has my movie library on it. Have given my bro and a few mates the server pin, they download air video HD from app store... watch movies on iPhone / iPad and can then airplay to apple tv if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Another alternative if you go down the plex route is to install plexconnect on your laptop or girlfriends parents computer (if they have one). This tricks your Apple TV3 to route your plex collection on your home PC to the Apple TV via the trailers app. If you google it you will find step by step instructions. I did this for my parents Apple TV over Christmas and it worked great but I've UPC 50Mb internet at home.

Advertisement