Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators With a conflict of interest

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a question. It's related to a specific issue but I won't refer to it and instead would just like to know in a general sense what the policy is.

It seems natural to me and in everyone's best interests that moderators would be obliged to be transparent about any possible and relevant conflct of interests that the may (or may not have).

For example, if the broadband mod works for Eircom. Politics mod is a member of Sinn Fein and so on.

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Declaration of the same would be a matter between the mods and the admins. I see no obligation to make that disclosure to the members of the forum unless the moderator is actively taking part in discussions where such interests are relevant.

The commuting and transport forum for example, has such a rule. But if the moderator just moderates and doesn't get involve in the actual discussions, they have no reason to disclose any conflict of interests to the users; it's presumed the moderator is acting in a moderation capacity.

If you believe that a moderator is moderating the forum in such a way that favours or shows clear bias in favour of any individuals, groups or companies, you are free to report that.

To clarify: When moderating, it's presumed that a moderator is acting (or will act) without bias, to the best of their ability. When taking part in a discussion, it's presumed that everyone is biased. Therefore, disclosure of conflicts of interest is relevant when involved in a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi,

I have a question. It's related to a specific issue but I won't refer to it and instead would just like to know in a general sense what the policy is.

It seems natural to me and in everyone's best interests that moderators would be obliged to be transparent about any possible and relevant conflct of interests that the may (or may not have).

For example, if the broadband mod works for Eircom. Politics mod is a member of Sinn Fein and so on.

Thanks in advance.

"Conflict of interest" is a big term to use.

So what if a broadband mod works for Eircom? That's probably why they know so much about broadband. So long as they're not shilling for Eircom or deleting anti-Eircom posts, it surely makes no difference.

So what if a Politics mod is a member of Sinn Fein? So long as they're not abusing their position to delete anti-Sinn Fein posts, it surely makes no difference.

If you think a mod is abusing their position due to something in their personal life, bring it to the attention by way of a PM to either their fellow mods, the cmods or the admin. However, the mod is not answerable to normal posters, on a public thread, when it concerns details of their personal life.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mods shouldn't be required to disclose personal information to any poster that requests it just because they happen to be a mod. Mods are entitled to privacy as much as any other poster.

If a mod is abusing their position to censor/stifle discussions that they have a bias against, then report the mod to a CMod/Admin.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So what if a mod in Politics is a member of Sinn Feinn or any particular party? As long as he/she mods unbiased they could be a ultra-communist for all I care.

A biased mod will be called up on it, by users or by other mods. I see no reason to have personal views or preferences disclosed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If a mod did have a conflict of interest and didn't declare it and that was decided upon as being a Bad Thing (tm), how would you spot it? Are you proposing that every mod is not only vetted when made a mod, but is kept under watch for the entire time they're a mod?

I mean, apart from being silly, that'd be downright illegal. Boards.ie ltd is not the Gardai...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

For all the reasons already listed above (privacy, common sense, none of our feckin' business) this is a no and we can just wrap this up here.

If someone wants to declare off their own bat, then that's great.

If someone starts shilling on behalf of something they represent, then that's quickly spotted and words had.

If someone's a member of a political or sports or computer game system tribe, nothing they say or do will ever be considered "neutral" by the supporters of the other tribes because so few of them possess the willingness to see past "Our tribe goodest tribe. Other tribe bad" caveman mentality that tends to follow these sorts of groups around.

That said, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race is so obviously better than all console serfs that it hardly matters what they even think... :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dav wrote: »
    the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race is so obviously better than all console serfs that it hardly matters what they even think... :p

I was just about to thank your post when I read that last bit.
    You snobby, elitist PC gamer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement