Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate headshot photography advice needed

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

This is a shout out for any advice/help I can get!

I need to set up a makeshift in-office studio to take headshots of our staff.

What are the basic lighting and backdrop requirements for something like this?
    And where is the best place in Dublin to hire equipment from?

*I have a Canon 1100D with tripod and a zoom lens.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'd say keep it as simple as possible, maybe use available light from a window or even an articulated desk lamp through a diffuser, just watch for white balance. Setting exposure is also easier with constant light.

If you go down the flash route you could do it with a single off camera flash either studio light or strobe with a softbox.

As for backgrounds a plain wall or even a coloured desk divider could be all you need, unless you need a specific colour. Doesn't need to be huge as your just doing headshots 1.5 meters squared might be enough. Have a look around see what you have, experiment if you can.

You can really make it as simple or complex as you like.

A full setup might be:
    Flash head / continuous light
    Stand for flash
    Softbox
    Background Fabric
    Background support
    Maybe a lightmeter (makes life alot easier for setting exposure with flash)
    Possibly a reflector

I can't personally recommend anywhere for renting equipment. Maybe try Conn's Cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

DML rent any gear required, or at least they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

lilyboo wrote: »
    This is a shout out for any advice/help I can get!

*I have a Canon 1100D with tripod and a zoom lens.

Thanks in advance.

Just find a nice bright background like a wall with some natural light and you already have the equipment to do the job. just do it and you will be delighted with the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Also if you are using a zoom lens shoot with the longer end rather then the wide end, you don't want the faces looking a little distorted !

Around 35 mm on the 1000D is ideal ..

Advertisement