Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kincora hall in Shannon ?

• 09-01-2014 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Looking to move to Shannon for 6 months from Mid March, was looking at Kincora Hall to rent, has anyone any experience of living in the place ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Stay well away from the place.
    lots of anti social activity in that building.
    It seems to have been turned into a dumbing ground for HSE clients who are addicted to drink/drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Stay well away from the place.
    lots of anti social activity in that building.
    It seems to have been turned into a dumbing ground for HSE clients who are addicted to drink/drugs.

Will do, cheers, if you hear of any apartments for rent similar to Barneys from How I met your mother and for 400 a month give me a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any half decent apartments in Shannon will be €550+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well we have a hotel similar to the one Alan Partridge stayed in if that floats your boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Advertisement

What is Sixmilebridge like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dakkon

Newmarket-on-Fergus would be better than Sixmilebridge in my opinion. There are a few new developments/housing estates around Newmaket, try Court na Halgasha(spelling is wrong)

Dakkon wrote: »
    Newmarket-on-Fergus would be better than Sixmilebridge in my opinion. There are a few new developments/housing estates around Newmaket, try Court na Halgasha(spelling is wrong)

Is Newmarket-on-Fergus big place? or is it a village ? found a few nice places there on Daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not that big, but depends on what you want. With the motorway, you're never too far from Ennis, SHannon, Limerick, Galway

Newmarket on Fergus is a village, it's not much smaller than Sixmilebridge but a good bit safer at night. Newmarket on Fergus has a Supervalu and a Centra, a bookies office and about 6 pubs. There's usually no trouble around it and all the pubs are fine to drink in.

Ennis or Limerick would probably be cheaper to rent in than Shannon, Newmarket or Sixmilebridge. Stay away from apartments in Riverpoint in Limerick, any I have seen are badly outfitted, overpriced and seem to have issues floods/waterleaks from really badly fitted windows.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not that big, but depends on what you want. With the motorway, you're never too far from Ennis, SHannon, Limerick, Galway

I will be so working in Shannon for six months.

Dakkon wrote: »
    Newmarket on Fergus is a village, it's not much smaller than Sixmilebridge but a good bit safer at night. Newmarket on Fergus has a Supervalu and a Centra, a bookies office and about 6 pubs. There's usually no trouble around it and all the pubs are fine to drink in.

Cheers that sounds good to me.

Keep in mind you'll be spending money on petrol going up and down, granted it'll probably only be €100 per month or so, but keep in mind it might be worth spending that on rent instead of petrol.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Keep in mind you'll be spending money on petrol going up and down, granted it'll probably only be €100 per month or so, but keep in mind it might be worth spending that on rent instead of petrol.

Whats Shannon like ? I was only there for the few hours of my interview

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

threein99 wrote: »

One Giant Housing Estate, not the worst place on earth, lol

Its kind of like a suburban area without a city centre to go out in. It's not the worst though. I wouldn't say its any more dull than Newmarket or Sixmilebridge, and you'll probably have people working with you living in Shannon too.
    A few nice places to eat, decent enough nightclub for a small place, Dunnes, Lidl, Supermacs, good few gyms, swimming pool etc.

Strangest town in Ireland, the town centre is a shopping centre(Skycourt). No proper streets at all. Main door to alot of houses is what most call your back door as alot of the housing estates have no parking at front so most folks come and go via backdoors.

Not much in the line of decent apartments or accommodation for single people from what i can see. Avoid Kincorra Apartments. Could not recommend Drumgelly Apartments either from what I have seen of them. Your best bet might be to house share with someone. Accommodation seems a bit pricey here, probably due to factories and FAS centre.

Pubs seem OK although I would recommend avoiding the one nightclub in the place(attached to The Knights) as there always seem to be a bunch of drunken yahoo's fighting after it every night it's on.

Town centre has got Dunnes Stores(clothes & groceries) and Lidl supermarkets. There are about 20 different takeaways in Shannon and most deliver for free in the Town.

I live in Shannon and still consider it strangest town ever as no other Irish town that I know of does not have streets with shops on them. Not to mention a Chinese or an Indian in the middle of a housing estate.

Newmarket-on-Fergus is less than 5 miles away so no way you could spend 100euro on petrol just coming and going to work.

Bru Ard Caoin/ Ard Caoin Court and Ballycasey Park down by Mace, or Bru na Sionna beside the town centre would all be modern apartments to be fair.
    They rarely go to rent for small money, but its only 6 months.
    Newmarket-on-Fergus is less than 5 miles away so no way you could spend 100euro on petrol just coming and going to work.

Fair point, at 30mpg it'd be more like €60 a month if you did 10 trips a week

Handy to live near work if you wanna nip home during lunch etc

Thanks for the info folks

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bru Ard Caoin/ Ard Caoin Court and Ballycasey Park down by Mace, or Bru na Sionna beside the town centre would all be modern apartments to be fair.
    They rarely go to rent for small money, but its only 6 months.

Completely forgot about those.
    And Shannon is like one gigantic housing estate with 2 industrial estates and a shopping centre added.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd go for the apartments in ballycasey, or bru na siona. Most modern of them.

Advertisement