Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woodburner vs Solid fuel?

• 09-01-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

I am getting conflicting advice from stove shops on whether to get a wood burner or a multi fuel. OH wants multi fuel but I am not bothered either way.
    Apparently the wood needs to be kiln dried for a woodburner? What if I were to burn logs from my shed? Is this the disadvantage to a woodburner- would I be better off with a Multifuel stove?

Also- between Nestor Martin RH33 vs Invicta Argos which would you choose and why?

(And if anyone knows any NM stockists in Leinster please let me know- their website is terrible and I can't find out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Stove shops always seem to push wood burners and yes in an ideal world wood is cleaner, less ash more environmentally friendly etc. However you will need a good supply of dry timber which is not always easy (or cheap) for everyone to get. Note that the wood just needs to be below 20% moisture Kiln dried is not really necessary.

Personally I would go for a multi fuel stove even if only for the freedom to burn solid fuel if you need to. I also find that wood tends to burn up quite quickly (if burning a hot fire and dry wood) and so it is not really possible to keep a glowing fire in for the night to keep a room warm.

I burn mostly wood but will add some turf or smokeless nuggets to keep the fire ticking over, it also helps me to preserve my stock of timber.
    The Stove I have is a Dan Skan Solo which is primarily a wood burner but is suitable for burning small amounts of solid fuel.

I cant really say which of the stoves I would choose as I don't really know allot about either of them. The Nestor Martin looks nicer to be and has a higher efficiency which is a good start. I would suggest googling both of them, see which is the better manufacturer and see if people are having problems with either of them.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. You will need a large supply of wood for a 12Kw stove, if you were to light it every evening over the winter possibly 6-8 tonne bags.. though other might be able to provide a better estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I have 3 or 4 large trees which I can use as fuel- but they are as damp as anything at the moment....

Thanks a million for the advice! :-)

Advertisement