Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In search of a game, need help!

Options
  • 09-01-2014 2:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So last night, my ball n' chain says to me, 'I'd really like to play computer games with you sometime'. After being resusitated and picking my jaw up off the floor from the shock, I started to ask what type of game she would like to play......this is where I need help.

She want a 2 player game, something like Tomb Raider with some action, jumping around and puzzles.

I did immediately race to my copy of Arkham City that I had yet to play, disappointingly it is only 1 player.
    The other one in my collection that sprang to mind is God of War....but only 1 player as well.

So is there anything out there on the Ps3 that would be of use? I'd prefer not to be split screen.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My immediate thought was Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light - a downloadable Tomb Raider spin-off largely built around co-op. It's a thoroughly enjoyable game, and I'm pretty sure it's not split-screen.

Several 2D platformers offer same screen co-op. Rayman Legends is a bit of a masterpiece. Other good stuff would include the likes of Dragons Crown (although certain art design choices there may not counter videogame stereotypes!)

Portal 2 has an inspired co-op campaign, totally different from the single player with some truly ingenious puzzle design. It is split screen.

Uncharted 3 offers offline co-op: it's the natural successor to Tomb Raider (until, uh, Tomb Raider :pac:), although might be leaning towards more action based. Again, split-screen.

For pure puzzle gaming, I still cannot recommend Critter Crunch enough :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cheers u_j, done some quick googlizing on these.

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light - This looks like it ticks all the boxes gameplay-wise, but I can see that this might result in our relationship ending. She would have to rely on my hooking her up with spears to climb on, and I would have to rely on her giving me rope to walk on. We would use these against each other in the real world, for example 'i'll let you climb up here if you promise to cook for the next 2 weeks'. We are children in that regard :)

Rayman Legends - i think that graphically this would be a bit too cartooney for her. I'll have to let her look at clips of gameplay.

Portal 2 - I think this may be a bit too big/advanced for what she is actually looking for.

Uncharted 3 - A potential winner here, I've played the PS Vita equivilant and really enjoyed it. It has it's mix of action, problem solving, running and jumping and is easy on the eye.

....and I might just pick up Critter Crunch for myself based on your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Non split screen? Little Big Planet. Ive never had such a laugh on campaign with 4 players!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The Lego games are ideal, playing through Marvel with my girlfriend at the moment and she loves it, great co-op game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

+1 for little big planet! Little big planet 2 is a little better for multi player though because there's more versus games. Used to play it all the time with my girlfriend and friends that were over, one of the girls was considering buying a ps3 just for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭Penn

2-player non-splitscreen? Yeah, your best bet is probably one of the Lego games.

Portal 2 is a great suggestion though, even though it's splitscreen. It's really not too advanced, I've played through a lot of it with my 5 year old nephew. If you can figure out what to do, all she'll need to do is help you out. Tell her where to place portals or where to stand.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lego games might be a winnner as well. We have a 5 year old who is getting more curious about the black box that daddy doesnt let him touch.
    I'm sure that he's going to figure it out, so having a lego game on standby would be handy.

I've also been curious about Little Big Planet, but I've been meaning to get that on the PS Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Army of two.
    Resistance 1 + 3.
    Little big planet.
    Pixeljunk shooter.

That's all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Thought the LOTR game wasn't too bad in split-screen mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ratchet & Clank: ALL 4 One ,The campaign is fully co-op and you share a screen.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault ,The campaign is fully co-op and you use splitscreen. This is also cross buy so you get the PS Vita version free ( no cross play for co-op but there was meant to be)

http://www.co-optimus.com/ Have a look here, loads of search options for co-op type ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement