Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Well my thoughts would be guided by my experiences. They will tack on a few hundred quid for 50 quids worth of dongle. It wont be supported. Will have some dog-shít Philips overlay that runs like a slug. It may even be hobbled somehow.

Buy a TV for screen quality and options only. Buy quality separates for your smart functionality. It will be better and likely cheaper in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Well my thoughts would be guided by my experiences. They will tack on a few hundred quid for 50 quids worth of dongle. It wont be supported. Will have some dog-shít Philips overlay that runs like a slug. It may even be hobbled somehow.

Buy a TV for screen quality and options only. Buy quality separates for your smart functionality. It will be better and likely cheaper in the end.

Not as easy for un-tech minded people (of which the vast majority of the population is) to hook up an additional box or dongle to the TV and get it all working seamlessly. This is a step in the right direction as its Android based so more open sourced that the smart systems on a lot of TVs at the moment. From initial reviews it looks to work a dream and I think has great promise. Google tried to get in on the TV space but so far have not put much effort in to it so I think with this type of set up it can only go from strength to strength.

Nice all-right. However all these dongles and boxes do require a bit of know how - what happens if your XBMC install starts crashing for no reason - will the seller push an automatic update for you? Will granny down the road be able to update the box as needed? At least with a system baked in to the TV the manufacturer is going to support it to some extent for a few years to come.

Advertisement