Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Galway Businesses and Multinationals, a rational discussion

Options
  • 08-01-2014 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

MOD EDIT: I've moved these posts from the businesses opening/closing thread, I really shouldn't have had to do that, in future could y'all just not make extra work for mods, for realsies - it's a pain.

Let's see how this thread pans out, be nice to each other and if that's just not possible then don't post.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Tesco Express are opening up there.

They won't be getting a penny from me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Tesco Express are opening up there.

They won't be getting a penny from me.

Hey Paddyfield,
    Im just curious as to why you feel that way towards tesco?I heard before that this country is very profitable for them.Is this one of your reasons or is it simply they are taking over the high street and closing down local business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

howyanow wrote: »
    Hey Paddyfield,
    Im just curious as to why you feel that way towards tesco?I heard before that this country is very profitable for them.Is this one of your reasons or is it simply they are taking over the high street and closing down local business?
    I'm curious too. I'd just go wherever is cheapest but still maintains a certain level of quality. Much rather Tesco than Dunnes anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tesco describe Ireland as treasure island. They are a complete rip off. They also are impossible to deal with as a supplier I can't go into details as I don't want to get anyone into trouble but they have some sharp practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tesco describe(d?) Ireland as Treasure Island because a remarkable number of people are willing to pay crazy prices. But they also have own-brand items for non-crazy prices (often looking like they're the same thing, same assembly line, with a different label) for those who can read pricetags and use their brains. A win both ways.

If they're that impossible to deal with, then they would not have any goods on their shelves.

And sharp practises .... I'm glad they're astute - just like many Irish business people are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

They are a complete rip off.

It's not that they are a rip off, it's that they stop selling mid range price items of products, leaving only the cheapest and the idiotically expensive.

I often wonder just what the people that are claiming to save 70 a week buying in Lidl & Aldi were buying in the other stores.

• Advertisement

If they're that impossible to deal with, then they would not have any goods on their shelves.

And sharp practises .... I'm glad they're astute - just like many Irish business people are!

there have been previously reported cases of fresh food being due for delivery only for them to ring up and tell the supplier they are not paying the agreed price. Or cases like what debenhams did before Christmas and tell suppliers they are applying and discount to all invoices due in January.

As these companies are so large suppliers have no choice but to put with it or lose the business.

Dunnes aldi and lidl have much better reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

howyanow wrote: »
    Hey Paddyfield,

Everyone else pretty much summed it up for me. Whilst I like to support local businesses as much as possible, I still go to both Aldi and Dunnes. You might think that is hypocritical of me, but I also go to Colleran's Butchers, Griffin's Bakery etc etc.

Tesco, as a brand, represents a monster. In my opinion, Aldi does more for Irish business than Tesco, even though both are international companies who remove money from our economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco, as a brand, represents a monster. In my opinion, Aldi does more for Irish business than Tesco, even though both are international companies who remove money from our economy.
    I think you need to research a bit more
    Tesco alone are responsible for 8% of all Irish food exports
    Tesco buys Irish food and drink worth €2bn a year, with €700m of this exported to its international stores. The retailer’s international purchases account for around 8% of total food and drink exports from Ireland. http://www.businessandleadership.com/exporting/item/44093-corks-keohanes-seafoods-w
    Tesco employ more people including those less capable and have introduced more competition in the non-grocery sector with telephony, insurance, credit cards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco buys Irish food and drink worth €2bn a year, with €700m of this exported to its international stores. The retailer’s international purchases account for around 8% of total food and drink exports from Ireland. http://www.businessandleadership.com/exporting/item/44093-corks-keohanes-seafoods-w
    Tesco employ more people including those less capable and have introduced more competition in the non-grocery sector with telephony, insurance, credit cards etc.

I won't shop in Tesco because I just think its a rip off compared to lidl or aldi.
    Plus the fact that tesco epitomizes the corporate greed mentality,examples using jobsbridge to hire shelf stackers,screwing suppliers,I travel a good bit and have seen their land practices in Asia(bullying small land owners to sell,greasing officials)
    Its common knowledge in those parts.
    For me the represent greed and its my choice never to shop in a tesco others can do as they please.

Rampant capitalistism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Rampant capitalistism!

Sure if they fail they can always get a bailout from the same people they are out to screw,is'nt that how capitalism works.

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Sure if they fail they can always get a bailout from the same people they are out to screw,is'nt that how capitalism works.
    Why, yes, yes it is.

how much of their "Irish "purchases are from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Everyone else pretty much summed it up for me. Whilst I like to support local businesses as much as possible, I still go to both Aldi and Dunnes. You might think that is hypocritical of me, but I also go to Colleran's Butchers, Griffin's Bakery etc etc.

I find it interesting that you dont seem to feel ripped off in Griffins, ridiculously overpriced for what it sells.

Yeah but how much of that is for repackaging abroad? Something like half of the cheese "packaged" in England is actually manufactured in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Yeah but how much of that is for repackaging abroad? Something like half of the cheese "packaged" in England is actually manufactured in Ireland.

Any why is that a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sorry, folks, can ye all take this discussion re multinationals to another thread?

Any why is that a problem?

It's not a problem, but it does bring into question the stocking & purchasing practices of Tesco when dealing with finished Irish products.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

lads, ye should take this outside! ......outside Tescos on the headford road, say about 3pm on saturday?

Advertisement